Need input from post-ops

southtexas
on 9/24/11 12:12 am
Ok, I am finally going to ask. I was sleeved on Tuesday and it has been sooo hard getting my fluids in. I think that I am sipping but, if I take too big of a sip it hurts like hell! It scared me at first but, I know if I don't panic and just breathe, the feeling finally passes. And of course, it helps if I burp. I never thought it would be so hard to drink fluid.

I am also having problems with retaining water. I haven't lost a pound since I left the hospital (yes, I weighed...sue me). I know a big part of it is the water retention. I miss my diuretics but I swear I will not take them. I do not want to land up back in the hospital from dehydration.

So, if anyone had problems with edema, how long did it take you to get the water weight off? And, when is it going to get easier to get fluids down? Will it be this hard for the rest of my life? If it is this hard now with fluids, how hard will it be to get food down later? Am I stretching my sleeve if my "sip" is too big?

Somebody please help me. I feel really nervous and do not know if all of this is normal.

Dawnie 88
on 9/24/11 12:20 am
It hurt for me to drink right after surgery also..that is completely normal...but it does not last forever..trust me! Just a temporary thing...so hang in there..and just take small sips..it does get better..and you'll feel normal again..don't worry!!

I was lucky and lost weight when i got home from the hospital, but many people actually gain weight when they first get home...completely normal!! 

It feels tough for you right now...I understand that.  The first 6 wks postop were a very trying time for me, and i wondered what the heck I had done to myself.  Just trust me when i say that it gets better..

Kelleybell122
on 9/24/11 12:23 am - Powell, OH
It's hard on everyone at first. Day 3 and week 3 were the worst for me. But I'm almost 8 months out now, 9 lbs to goal, celebrating single digits, and happy bend belief to have had this surgery.

Hang in there. It will be smooth sailing soon.

I had to monitor my food and liquid intake very closely for the first three or four months, but all that seems to be behind me now. My weight loss is much slower than it was in those early months, but my eating habits are more "normalized" too.

My best tip on fluids: Soni**** Sonic is a fast food chain. They sell bags of soft hospital style ice for 2bucks. It's easy to chew, does not hurt your teeth and can be flavored with whatever liquid you want to add to your cup. I chew Soni**** all day. It gives me the sensation of chewing food, without the icky full feeling we get from food after surgery, and keeps me on track with getting all my liquids in.

Good luck!

Kelleybell122
on 9/24/11 12:24 am - Powell, OH
Typo: "bend belief" should read "beyond belief".

Janelle L.
on 9/24/11 12:25 am - Lakeland, FL
I was sleeved on the 19th and can totally feel your pain. I am having a hell of a time getting water in. The burning feelings sucks major ass!! Today is the first day I have felt like doing anything. Folding a load of laundry made my muscles shake and I felt like I needed a nap. The acid meds definitely helps and the water is going down easier. My nut said to add a few crystals of fruit protein powder to my water so that it is heavy enough to get past the gas/acid. 

Good luck my friend!!

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!"
  HW 375. CW 296 GW 200

AnastasiaBeaverhausn
on 9/24/11 12:29 am
I actually gained weight after the surgery due to all the liquids they pumped in through my IV so don't worry about that.

I second the Soni**** I didn't use it but my hospital had the best ice and I loved that. If Soni**** is close, then use it.

It will get better. I'm just 6 weeks out but still learning.

No, big sips won't stretch your stomach!
(deactivated member)
on 9/24/11 12:32 am
My Dr helped me get used to what a sip was while I was still in the hospital.  He had the nurse bring me a stack of those little plastic cups that come with liquid medications.  He said to fill it half full and dring that every 5 minutes.  I think it was about a teaspoon and a half in each mouthful.  (It was the small childrens sized cups not the big Nyquil sized ones)  Once I got the size of the sip down it didn't hurt to swallow it down so much.  The other thing is to experiment with the temperature of the liquids.  Some people had more success with warm things like tea or even water while others needed hotter or colder..  I did best with temps from room temp to very warm.   As far as urination and water retention goes remember the more liquids you take in the more your body will purge itself of the water it is retaining.   Your body will hang on to the fluids it has when you slow down your intake.  And by the way, I have weighed myself every single day since surgery other than the time frame I was traveling on vacation.  I continue to weigh my self every single day, I believe it helps me to evaluate what I have eaten the day before.  I weigh very early in the morning then sit down with a cup of coffee and make my meal plan for the day.   
amanda D.
on 9/24/11 1:35 am, edited 9/24/11 1:39 am - Stayton, OR
TBH in the beginning it sucks!!!  I was sleeved on the 16th, ended up staying in the hospital 4 days because I couldn't tolerate water.  Had to stay 2 extra days in Flagstaff, because I couldn't get enough fluids in....Im now 8 days post op and i can get one and a half-i****oz Arrowhead bottled water in.  I still have issues getting the protein shake in because frankly they taste like ass. Back to trying to find one I like that wont make me puke lol.  I also found that it made things go a LOT smoother if it was room temp instead of out of the fridge cold. My "Sips" are like what I would normally have been drinking before hand. 

I know when to slow down with my "sips" when I get HOOOORRRRIBLE gas pains, right in the pit of my belly I force myself to get up and walk it out, let out a huge burp and have my kid say "ewww MOM!!!"

As for the retaining water, I was retaining as of thursday night.  my right hand ballooned up horribly I couldn't flex my fingers, and couldn't wear any of my rings.  Woke up friday morning, went to my 1 week post-op and low and behold I weighed 14# less than I had a week ago.  Personally I would see it as a blessing, with all those fluids in you, and you having a hard time gettin them in you shouldn't dehydrate =0)

No you're not stretching your new tummy with a too big sip, it just hurts like a mofo with all the gas lol

(After thought)  Have you tried soups?  For instance, I was 5 days out and my husband went to Subway for dinner and got me one of their veggie soups and I just had the "broth".  Was the best thing EVER!  And didn't hurt getting it down.  Also, SF Jello, SF popsicles counts towards your liquid intake.

Best of luck to you, I know how sucki**** is in the beginning, but seems to be getting better every day

~Amanda

*edit* oh and btw, I GAINED weight after surgery to the tune of 18 pounds.

brandifb
on 9/24/11 2:21 am - Houma, LA
I was also sleeved on the 20th, i am having trouble getting in all my fluids. It no longer hurts for liquid to go down. Hot soup seems to go down very well. I have lost 15# since my surgery.

Good luck, it will get better

let's try to keep in touch with each others progress.

Jan G.
on 9/24/11 2:36 am - WI
First of all, I am so sorry for all you are struggling with..HUGS~

I remember having trouble too; could not get in the fluids OR the protein. By the way, my dietician recommends getting a protein mix that is about the same amt between protein and CARBS. Most on here do not equate the two but you need carbs for energy and enough protein for REPAIR.

Then around the 2nd week I remember I could take a bigger sip and get my meds down easier. Wow..that felt great.

This surgery teaches you to take your time, go slow..and learn how to eat again.

Check in with the surgeon's office and run the edema past them. I would not just let that go..follow their advice as you don't want problems with your kidneys.

Let us know how it's going  ok hon?

Warmly, Jan

VSG: 08/05/2011   Age 62   5 foot:  HW: 207    SW 194   CW 156

Most Active