Strange new symptom

Rekeca
on 10/1/11 10:46 pm - NC
Since surgery I have started have a strange symptom. I don't know if it is because of the surgery or something that just popped up at the same time but my hands have been swelling to grotesque sizes. I feel it coming on, my hands will get to itching really badly almost painfully, then the insides of my hands will turn red and next thing I know they will swell to the point where I can't bend them and they are painful. They stay this way for a while. I can't lift anything. I am going to call my surgeon tomorrow but I just wanted to know has any one else experienced this and maybe able to shed some light on it. Thanks.

VegasLAbound
on 10/1/11 11:12 pm - Cleveland, OH
Not to worry you but swelling is extremely serious and relates to circulation. Please don't take this lightly. Somethings we write off but it could be pointing to something more serious like complications with the heart. Especially if it leaves and returns because I would think an allergic reaction would be easily self-diagnosed if you just track what you're doing before the swelling occurs. Are you eating anything or taking any meds before the swelling or the itching starts?

jescole
on 10/1/11 11:43 pm
I can't tell you if this is it or not...but like you my hands would swell, itch horribly but then my skin on myhands would thicken, crack a little....like a rash. My GP told me it was a bad case of contact dermatitis...gave me meds and told me to try to figure out what I was touching that I was allergic too...It only got worse so I headed to the dermatologist and he told me that it was psorisis...(due to body stress)  I am now on meds and topical cream and there is an improvement...but I am not seeing a cure!!!!
watchmenow
on 10/2/11 3:23 am
You definitely need to get this checked out.  If it is an allergic reaction, it could kill you because you could be swelling on the inside also.  I have allergies that cause swelling and potential asphyxiation. Please get it checked out.  By the way, my doctor gave me some very expensive medicine called TACLONEX for psoriasis.  It worked in 2 days!  No more symptoms from that!!
Be blessed!
  I like calling North Carolina home!!!  Go Tarheels!  

jescole
on 10/2/11 6:16 am
On October 2, 2011 at 10:23 AM Pacific Time, watchmenow wrote:
You definitely need to get this checked out.  If it is an allergic reaction, it could kill you because you could be swelling on the inside also.  I have allergies that cause swelling and potential asphyxiation. Please get it checked out.  By the way, my doctor gave me some very expensive medicine called TACLONEX for psoriasis.  It worked in 2 days!  No more symptoms from that!!
Be blessed!
I am on Taclonex and somethin called Spironolcatone..it is helping but no cure :( I don't have psorisis but on my hands and feet...wierd!! Started about a year ago and I was able to handle it with over the counter meds..then I got the sleeve and it went from ok to OMG this is painful, itchy and ugly!!!
hollykim
on 10/2/11 1:52 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Hate to be the one to tell you,but there is no cure for psoriasis. It just has to be managed. I have it also on my hands and also use Taclonex.

jescole
on 10/2/11 7:36 pm
LOL I know there is no real cure but I am having a hard time getting it under control..To me a cure would be not to see it or wake up from itchy, burning hands in the middle of the night...
hollykim
on 10/2/11 11:35 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
oh good. I hate to be the bearer of bad news,lol. Mine is actually psoriatic arthritis...yours might be also. I would suggest you see a rhuematologist in addition to the dermatologist.
GL

jescole
on 10/2/11 11:41 pm
While I am 100% covered by insurance...I am visiting all the doctors including dermatologist....and even a therapist to make sure I have this food thing under control!! Its a free tool, so I plan on taking advantage while I can...I have a deviated septum so next is the ears nose and throat guy...(before dec.)to have that surgery. Need time to heal from the sleeve first!!!
Rekeca
on 10/2/11 7:32 am - NC
Thanks for the responses. I will definitely get this checked out. My radar has gone up just a little bit more. I have to check into this ASAP.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views