When will I stop being so tired???

southtexas
on 10/4/11 9:18 am
Hi guys! Today marks two weeks since my surgery. I am down 13 lbs. I wi**** was more but, what do you do?

Anyway, I went back to work last Thursday and was working till noon. This week, I have been working from 7:00 am till 3:00 pm with no lunch so, I am getting my 8 hours in a day. I am thankful that my supervisor lets me do this instead of working 8-5.

When I get home, I have to take a nap! Never fails. Everyday since surgery, I have to take an afternoon nap. Since I started my 8 hour days again yesterday, I have been so freakin' tired.

My question is, when does this sleepiness stop? I feel crazy having to come straight home from work to sleep. When did you start feeling more energetic?

Thanks,

~ Jen

edelu
on 10/4/11 9:27 am - los angeles, CA

I think it was about week 4.  I too took a nap every day and then i started to fight it and then I talked to myself sternly.  The nap was not interfering with my night sleep at all so i figured my body needed it.  At around 4 weeks there was a change.  full days were fine and the nap stopped.  Listen to your body.  also i felt up to my old tasks at around week 4 I was about at half that capacity before that.  Our bodies are also adjusting to getting by on so little.  Bif changes. Hang in there, we forget it's major surgery.  Certainly the biggest surgery I've ever had.

Sherry T.
on 10/4/11 9:36 am
I was also about 4 weeks out before it got any better.  Everyday without fail I would have to lay down at least  for a little while maybe not always sleeping but just resting.  My energy level seemed to get alot better when I was able to move on to the mush stage in my diet plan. 
krystals
on 10/4/11 9:42 am - TX
VSG on 07/15/11 with
Hi it troubles me that you don't get lunch. How do you eat or do you just drink protein drinks? I'm always tired to I did up my dosage of iron and that seems to help. I also try to get protein early in the morning to jump start my day. Make sure to get in your 64oz of water and that will help to. But I still get tired with all that so I'm not sure how long it will take to feel back to normal.

southtexas
on 10/4/11 9:57 am
No, I just don't take an actual "lunch hour". I eat at my desk and we call it a working lunch. I am getting my 64 oz of water. I start my soft phase after my 2 week follow-up on Thursday. Right now, I am eating still in my full liquids phase (soups, pudding, etc.)

Kelly L.
on 10/4/11 10:00 am
Are you taking vitamins? A multi-vitamin w/iron (i just started taking 2 a day) and B12? The B12 helps with energy. Sleevers need to take B12 in sublingual form or by shots. Also are you getting in enough Protein? If you're getting in your Protein and vitamins and still feeling tired, then it may be that you are just not back to normal from the surgery and/or the anesthesia. This should improve with a little more time. I hope you feel better soon, and check with your Dr if not.

I hope things get better for you soon!
fullohope
on 10/4/11 10:03 am
Hi I am still tired and i am 6 weeks out.
I previously was very busy and could handle very busy. 
I know a friend who had the surgery was tired for a long time too,
However, good will come in time- I am sure in time i will have more energy than i ever had!

I think my body is just adjusting to lower caloric intake. I also need to listen to my body and learn when to eat, when to stop eating and when to rest...

Hope you start to feel energetic soon!

krystals
on 10/4/11 10:07 am - TX
VSG on 07/15/11 with
Great I love working lunches wish I could do that. I agree with Kelly, Another thing my doctor told me is a reason we are tired is because during the healing process it's like our body is running a marathon on the inside and that could make us tired as well. But know it is ok to have a nap when you get home you just had major surgery. It will get better day by day. Hugs to you!!

Paige V.
on 10/4/11 10:26 am - Gainesville, FL
for me, it was like I instantly felt better when I hit the two week mark... hope it happens for you soon!

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

gapmom
on 10/4/11 1:17 pm - TX
 Week 4 for me also. I finally have some energy and just feel more like myself. I am also forcing that 60 ounces of fluid in and that really helps. Hang in there, I could not have gone back to work at week two, all I did was sleep and drink. Try to get as much rest as you can.
Most Active