need to get back on track HELP

Heather K.
on 10/17/11 10:28 am - Cleveland, OH
OK had surgery in feb this year down 85 pounds and I have been stuck at 210 pounds for about 2-3 months now.. I have been eating so BAD half sandwiches..chips cookies ...candy junk eating and drinking while snacking how the hell do I get back on track I hate myself for going back to these bad eating habits wish I would have never had a chip or bread again... and after 8 years of not smoking Im smoking again and drinking once a week...can someone give me some advice beside im DUMB!!!Thanks

Heather

acbbrown
on 10/17/11 10:35 am - Granada Hills, CA
You are certainly not dumb - your human. Sounds like you might be dealing with some addiction issues - between the food and the smoking.

There's the obvious getting back on track advice which is going back to the basics -

- protein first
- low calories
- low carbs
- a lot of water
- separating eating/drinking
- exercise
- cut out the booze

First and foremost, you need to cut out the junk food, plain and simple. There is no "moderation" for some people, and you sound like you might be one of them. You have the ability to refuse to buy the stuff so its not accessible, and pass by vending machines and drive throughs.

A heathy lifestyle and reaching your goal weight take COMMITMENT. It will not happen on its own as you've discovered. Having a small stomach is not enough. You need to do some soul searching and figure out whether you want to head back to where you came from, or whether you want to turn things around. You haven't faced any serious regain but if you keep down the same path, you very well may. But at the end of the day, its up to you to decide whats more important - food/cigarettes or health and happiness.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Ms. Poker Face
on 10/17/11 10:39 am
You can do this!  Alison gave great advice.  I'll add that some counseling may be a good idea.  In fact, I plan to seek some because I know myself well enough to know that I could take on my old bad habits again.  Smoking and drinking could be transfer addictions and a counselor may be able to help you through this.

You recognize these things and that's half the battle!  Go back to protein, water and journaling food.  Exercise may make you feel better about all this, too.  You've got this!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Heather K.
on 10/17/11 10:50 am - Cleveland, OH
Thanks girls... I know I need to start drinking more water forsure I have been drinking diet ice tea no fast food at all just the dumb chips and candy and cookies slider foods.. I was working out every day then lost focus..Thanks for the advice I'm getting back on track water all day at work more breakfast because I never eat it and less snaking one snack a day of course has to be high protien..I dont want to go back I want to be 150 and want tobe under 200 by Thanksgiving...
edelu
on 10/17/11 12:26 pm - los angeles, CA
Hey, I hear you. 

I'm only 3 months out and doing really well on the food and i cut out alcohol completely but the other night i was at a party, not eating, not drinking and i saw a couple of smokers go outside.  Do you i had the nerve to stand up and try to go after them.  Now i gave up smoking a decade ago and i almost forget that i did it, never have a craving, nothing but i guess in the absence of other things, all things come into play again.  But the one thing that keeps me sane and i know there are those who would not agree with this is that i see these first 6 months as a diet.  My reasoning is that i can do anything for 6 months and then i can relax a little.  Now i don't know how true that will end up being, but it sure comes in handy when I'm saying no to that delicious glass of Malbec. Maybe you could carve out 3 months and go on a diet and give all those things up you've let slip back in.  And yeah stop with the cigs.  They are unbelievably addictive and no I didn't make it all the way outside to cadge one.  But i did however scare myself. 
LittleMissSunshine
on 10/17/11 2:22 pm
I hear you.  I started this whole process back in January and was on some form of pre-op diet from around mid-February through surgery on 5/23 and then was cleared for regular food at the end of August.  I did ok with it for a while, but once I started trying things just to see how well I tolerated it (I had to know what I could and couldn't have), I found that I could have anything... and I did.  Ms. Hyde found a way out of her closet and now I'm trying to stuff her back in there.

On the upside, I haven't gained anything since cutting loose... but I haven't lost either.  I know what I need to do, I just haven't done it yet... same problems that plagued me pre-op.  I did put a call in to a therapist today to see if shes' accepting new patients, and if so, when could she see me.  I knew that the surgery wasn't going to fix my head issues, but I had hoped they'd be at least lessened with the knowledge that I need to prioritize the right foods if I want to maintain my health.  No such luck though... I need professional help and I'm going to get it.

It's an uphill climb, but we'll both get back on track :)

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

George B.
on 10/18/11 12:26 am - Miami, FL
Get back to basics.

Start your meals with dense protein like beef, chicken , pork or seafood. Dense protein fills you up and you'll  feel a lot of restriction. A small amount of dense protein will fill you up and keep you full for a long time. 

Review what you are eating and make appropriate adjustments. Cut out slider foods like bread, rice, potato, chips, carbs in general. You can eat slider foods all day long and feel no restriction. 

Limit carbs to less than 40 grams per day.  When my carbs got too high my weight loss slowed. Eating carbs only makes you crave more carbs. Get carbs out of reach and have protein available to eat when you get hungry or need a snack.

I followed the plan my doctor gave me and lost 100% of my excess weight and have kept it off without a lot of effort.

1. Eat 600-800 calories per day when losing weight  and 1,200 calories to maintain
2. Limit carbs to less than 40 grams per day
3. Eat 70-100 gram of protein daily
4. Minimum 64 oz. liquids daily
5. Regular exercise/physical activity
6. Track what you eat ( I use myfitnesspal.com to track calories, carbs, protein, etc.)

Cut out slider foods like bread, rice, potato, chips, carbs in general. 

Dense protein, limiting carbs and regular physical activity were responsible for me reaching my weight loss goal and maintaining. This can get you back on track and back to losing weight.

Good luck,
George

mini_me_ now
on 10/18/11 2:33 am

If you have been trying to get back on plan and its not working for you, i.e you get so far into the day and then cave to a cookie or some other junk.  Then heading back to basics may not be enough. if it is then you already know just go back to plan..

For me i actually did gain from eating junk so your probably still in the phase your surgery is still possibly doing the work for you ... I was not and had a gain of over 20lbs.

I tried for a few months to get back on track just by going back to basics and id keep caving in so what i did was go back and repeat my program. i first emptied my house of all tempting foods that could and would be triggers..

I started with 2 weeks of protein shakes, this was enough to completly detox me and stop all the cravings,  then i moved on to soft proteins like yogurts, fish and salmon , tuna then on to dense proteins ( i didnt do mushie stage as my stomach didnt need healing) I have since lost all the weight i had gained and am back at goal.

so i wish you all the best...
Linda     5".4

6lbs under goal weight
                  Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Helen B.
on 10/19/11 11:37 am - Lake Placid, FL

I think I need to go back to my post surgery diet... 

Maryatt50
on 10/18/11 4:43 am
 I know what you are going through.  As you have heard a thousand times - it is not a race but a journoy.  I have been eating wrong in the past few months and stated to gain a little weight.  I have gone back to working out more - BUT to be honest I need to go back to the basics - I find myself craving carbs and sugar.  Good Luck!   WE CAN DO THIS. !!!!!!
Most Active