Ways to add protein

mamatothree
on 10/18/11 11:57 am - Charleston, SC

I went yesterday to get my drain taken out, and was telling the dietician about my meal choices. She was really excited about my adding tofu to everything and asked me to send her my favorite concoctions. I thought I would share it with y'all too, in case it sounds interesting. 

A little background on me--I keep kosher. I won't eat meat or fish that wouldn't be kosher (eg. Swordfish) when I am out, so I eat like a vegetarian, eating a lot of dairy and tofu, etc. It works out well, because now I really enjoy tofu and am not afraid to use it.

1) I made chicken soup from scratch with matzah balls and carrots a few weeks ago and froze it. I took the soup, thawed out some, threw in a few firm tofu cubes, put it in the blender. Yummy!
2) tomato soup made with water and tofu
3) Cooked carrots, skim milk, cinnamon, all spice, Splenda, and tofu all puréed together.
4) meatballs with some tofu all blended together.
5) grits with cheese and tofu 
6) Fat free ricotta cheese, spaghetti sauce, a little melted cheese, and tofu. 
7) mashed potatoes, some melted cheese, and tofu

The trick to tofu--drain it. I buy the firm tofu, take it out the night before I am ready to use it, and put it in a strainer with a book wrapped in Saran wrap on top to push out as much water as possible. That turns the tofu into a sponge, ready to soak up whatever sauce you throw it into. You can even take that tofu, put it in a bowl with sauce, put it into the freezer overnight, and it will soak up even more flavor.
It adds a ton of protein to anything, and gives the food a nice texture too!

Enjoy! Happy tofu-ing!

Tamar 

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

ND2BTHN
on 10/18/11 1:11 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 You need to add in some more meat some how. I'm sorry I don't know much about a kosher diet, but if meat isn't an easy option, then you can get some protein suppliments, like isopure, unjury, or protein whey isolate shakes. 

Also tofu is good, but just keep in mind that it is tofu is high in estrogen so you don't want to go overboard with it. I know this because I have estrogen dominance, and that is one of the things I have to avoid.

Enjoy, and good luck.

Most Active