Sleeved and home

keywest
on 10/22/11 6:05 am

Thank you everyone for your prayers and well wishes.  I really appreciate all the support.  I was sleeved on Monday, October 17th @ 7:30am.  I don't remember much of that day except begging for water and sleeping.  I was very thirsty but I could not have anything.  The nurses wet my mouth with a little applicator but I wanted to suck the water out of it.  Morphine didn't help with my pain pump so the pain med was changed to something stronger (don't recall what it was).  But it did the trick.  Didn't need pain medication after Tuesday morning.  Tuesday, Oct. 18th wasn't so great.  Nausea, dry heaves, dizziness and phlegm were my problems on Tuesday.  I had to take the xray test with all that going on and trying to lie flat.  The xray was successful no leaks and pretty cool to see. I was happy I could finally drink water.  Well that didn't last long.  I could not tolerate the water warm or cold.  My new stomach didn't want anything.  The nurse gave me ensure which felt a little better but it appeared to give me indigestion so I would have the pressure in my chest.  I'm happy I had a private room.  I was able to sit in the recliner and pace back and forth.  I must say I had an incredible medical staff caring for me.  They were patient and eager to make me feel better.  One on Tuesday night rub and patted my back like a baby until I was able to burp.  Nothing would help.  Wednesday was still much of the same.  Trying to get liquids in.  I was able to pass gas no bowel movement.  Walking and sipping was the hardest for me. By Wednesday, evening at 7:00PM, I begged the nurses and doctor to let me go home.  I just had to get liquids in and keep it down. Well it worked.  

Thursday thru today, I am still very weak.  Walking up and down my driveway 2 times is as much as I can do.  I have noticed my sense of smell of completely messed up.  Nothing smells the same.  I can't stand the smell of food or fragrances.  I will vomit is I smell anything.  I am not hungry nor do I want anything.  I still sleep alot.  Never got the pain medication because I didn't need it.  Nausea and dry heaves is my battle and getting the liquids in.  I'm drinking only about 1-2oz right now and that is only maybe 2 times a day.  If I can only get my strength back and get rid of the dry heaves.  Sleeping is also a task.  Stomach is very sore.   

On a good note...my stats below.

46 years old, 5'1.....HW 250......last preop appt. before surgery weighed 237......morning of surgery 10/17......234.......as of this morning.........223

How do you manage to get in the liquids the 1st week and have energy?

HW: 250      SW: 237      CW: 174   Goal: 125     Height: 5'1    Surgery Date: 10/17/11

amanda D.
on 10/22/11 7:54 am - Stayton, OR
gratz on your surgery =0)

The first few weeks were pretty difficult getting liquids in because you're pretty swollen on the inside.  Just do the best you can.  It will get easier as the swelling goes down.

foodlover
on 10/22/11 9:18 am
I just got a bunch of the once plastic little cups from the Dr and lined up about 20 of them to have through the day.  Hang in there!
RPrice85
on 10/22/11 10:22 am - MI
Maybe instead of pain meds, they should have given you anti-nausea meds. Do you have some? If not maybe you should call your doc and get some cause if you don't get more liquids in you can start getting dehydrated and that will cause you to dry heeve and vomit even more! Good luck and hope you start to feel better soon!
keywest
on 10/22/11 3:49 pm
I was given anti nausea meds in the hospital but I may need some for home. I will call my doctor,
HW: 250      SW: 237      CW: 174   Goal: 125     Height: 5'1    Surgery Date: 10/17/11

abrown8434
on 10/22/11 10:59 am - VA
Congrats; I'm glad you are home and alive and well! As far as getting in the liquids the 1st week, you won't. There are too many issues with figuring out what temperatures your new sleeve likes as well as having the capacity to drink that much.

I'm 4 weeks out and I still struggle with that. Just eat plenty of sugar free popsicles, sip frequently and eat sugar free jello. With time you'll get there.

Best of luck to you,

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

keywest
on 10/22/11 3:53 pm
I have noticed warm and cold temperature seems to be a problem.  Water I dont like the taste at all.  Warm protein shake will not stay down.  Anything cold seems to be heavy in my stomach.  I have a lot of chest pressure.  I need a really good burp.  The popsicles seem to be the only thing I can tolerate with no problems. 

abrown8434
on 10/23/11 4:37 am - VA
For me popsicles and broth were my main friends (SF popsicles were like crack). I could have a tsp or two of sugar free pudding mix w/unflavored protein but that was the most I could get down at one time. Protein shakes weren't a problem but that was another 1/2 oz or 1 oz at best in 20-30 mins. Water was the absolute worst and my body just didn't like it. I could mix it would Crystal Light and unflavored protein and somewhat tolerate it but anything else bu****er was okay.

For the gas, I took Gas X and that did the trick for burping. Later on, about day 6 or 8, when I could tolerate water **** cold w/plenty of ice) the burping was somewhat better but Gas X was still necessary when I really needed to burp. Around 3 weeks later I could drink water without it being ice cold or w/plenty of ice. (Now w/plenty of ice I don't really like it or tolerate as well--GO FIGURE!)

The first week all you are doing is the best you can. The protein amounts don't really matter because they mainly want you to stay hydrated. I tried to mix unflavored protein with what I could tolerate and then protein shots (a reputable one) to get the highest amount of protein possible early on.

Basically, all you can do is the best you can and don't freak out in the 1st week or so because it's kind of shaky. Eventually you will eat more and be able to tolerate things again.

Best of luck,

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

roundater
on 10/22/11 12:22 pm - Lincoln, NE
Congrats on your surgery and welcome. home!  Welcome to the losers bench. It is hard the first week or two but hang in there and it will get better.
Rich Sonderegger

ozthewiz
on 10/22/11 5:37 pm - IL
VSG on 09/28/17
 good luck on your recovery and please tell me you are not saying that you are only getting in 1-2 ounce of water twice a day meaning only 2 to 4 ounces a day.. the last thing you need is dehydration right now.  you need more fluids even if you have to suck on ice or suger free popsycles. just make sure you get more . the minimum is 64 ounce a days and you need to really get close to that to stay healthy. make sure you let your doc no how much you are getting in . might need an iv for fluids till you get better.

I wish you the best and hope the days ahead are better.
                       Please always consult your doctor first and only take my advise as a suggestion.  
Most Active