Slowly stocking up

irishmama2004
on 10/27/11 12:12 am - AL
 As I sit here a mere 6 months away from surgery sipping on quite possibly the grossest protein shake ever made I am thinking maybe I should ask y'all

What should I start to stock up on now?

I'm considering buying a magic bullet now and asking for a vitamix for Christmas.
Also, where is a good place to buy some protein shake samples? I want ot get a taste for some (other than this lumpy sickeningly sweet concooction that I am gagging down currently). 
I would rather buy some supplies now and start trying stuff out than be hit with it all right around surgery.
Thanks y'all!
Kathy S.
on 10/27/11 12:19 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
 Hi Irishmama,

Some advice, don't buy too much before surgery.  You will find your taste buds change after surgery and it can be months before they get back to normal.  So what tastes great now may not after surgery.  Buy one or two you like and make sure the support group you are a member of has exchange nights so you won't get stuck with a big can of something you hate later 

Good luck to you!

Take care,
Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

2muchfluff
on 10/27/11 12:48 am
 I agree.  Don't stock up.  Just sample.  What you like now may make you gag post surgery.  Everybody on here brags so much on unjury and that is what they gave me in the hospital, but it was so sickeningly sweet, It made me want to hurl.  To this day, I have to doctor up my chocolate by adding extra cocoa, a little salt, and making it into a hot chocolate drink.  Otherwise it is too sweet for me and makes me gag.  GNC will let you return anything for any reason for 30 days, so you can try stuff after surgery to see what sits well.  I bought a huge container of their banana flavor because the salesperson loved it.  I hated it, so back it went for a full refund.  You may want to get a couple of clear Isopure drinks to keep on hand.  They are whey protein isolate and are not as heavy on your stomach as the shake drinks.  They saved me in the early days when I couldn't get the shakes down.  They have a kind of weak Koolaid flavor, but you can also add SF flavored syrups to make them more flavorful.  I have an assortment of the flavored syrups, which I use occasionaly now, but relied on heavily in the beginning.
I got a magic bullet knock off from Walmart for about 19.99.  It was a life saver for me.  I could puree soups, tuna, etc.  The trouble for me with a lot of blending of shakes, though is that it whips a lot of air in there, and was ok pre surgery, but awful post surgery.  Could not handle the volume the air put in there.
Good luck in your journey.

BETHC500
on 10/27/11 2:52 am

I havent had surgery yet but I have been doing protein shakes. I agree that most of the shakes are too sweet. I decided to try something different. I took non-fat buttermilk, 1 scoop of unflavored soy protein powder and added cooked zuccini, tomato wt spices and blended it into a smoothy.  It blended great and it was a little warmed so it was more like a meal than the shake mixes. Also it filled me up. It worked out to be 210 calories with 25 grams of protein.

J.e.t.
on 10/27/11 1:03 am
HW 263, 3lbs lost prior to surgery,  weight loss ticker is since surgery.

2muchfluff
on 10/27/11 1:10 am
 Yes, the food scale is a must.  I got a digital one, and it has made me more in tune with portion control.  I didn't have mine right away and I was amazed at the difference in portions.  A tablespoon of peanut butter is nowhere near the size I was scooping out before the scale.  I think, especially in a person that has portion control difficulties, such as I have, the scale puts your thinking more into perspective.

mandyc1975
on 10/27/11 1:41 am - Richardson, TX
VSG on 09/20/11 with
go to http://www.si03.com/medical/med_index.htm  and scroll down to the nectar variety sampler. Nectar has 13 different flavors, most of which can be mixed with water. Call the number and ask for the samples. It is $13. I like the fuzzy navel and I actually mix it with orange flavor crystal lite. I think it makes the flavor better. If you like these, you can buy the big tubs from vitamin shoppe at a better price than this website. Hopefully this helps!

Also, the other posters are right about the taste. I bought 3 flavors before surgery and now, I can't stand 2 of them.
Do not ask God to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

9/4 (pro op) 299 lbs - 9/20 (surgery day) 285 lbs - 10/4 268 lbs - 11/7 251 lbs- 12/8 239 lbs - 1/9 222 lbs - 2/7 214 lbs - 3/3 202 lbs - 3/19 194 lbs ... 9/20/2012 - 142 lbs
Most Active