Hair Loss and Saw Palmetto?

Nonie0123
on 10/28/11 1:56 pm - MT
Today I was getting the grey washed away and was discussing my WLS with my hair dresser.  He mentioned that I should take "Saw Palmetto" as it would help me from losing so much hair when the time comes.  I have yet to see my hair start falling out since my surgery.

Has anyone tried this and had success? 
5' 11", HW 287, SW 270, GW 170                    
newme2011-2012
on 10/28/11 2:18 pm
Weird..I am a hairdresser and would reccomend biotin and there are a couple others I would have to go look up, but saw palmetto from what I have heard is for males for prostate.. I think maybe he mixed up with supplement he was talking about... Just sayn'
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

kyrocketscientist
on 10/28/11 7:35 pm
I take "Saw Palmetto" for my prostate, and  "Biotin" (5000 mcg daily)  for my hair loss. Guess what, neither will stop the hair from coming out, or maybe it is just that I am getting old and weight loss has nothing to do with my hair loss....John
Don't blame me. I voted for Sarah......

2muchfluff
on 10/29/11 12:59 am
 I have only ever heard of it for male prostate and other urinary tract related problems.  From what I have read about it, it used to be the mainstay in a doctor's black bag for treatment of urinary conditions.  I have never heard of it being used to treat hair loss.
Biotin will help speed your regrowth of new hair, but will not stop hair loss.

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/11 4:20 am
Saw Palmetto in combination with Red Yeast Rice has been found to grow new hair in some men with male pattern baldness.  I saw some info on that when my Dr suggested I use the combination for high cholestrol.  I did some research and that was mentioned as one of the things it unexpectedly helped.  It did not help my cholestrol by the way but it was found later I had a liver/billiary disease so it wouldn't have anyway..
Nonie0123
on 10/29/11 9:13 am - MT
Thanks for everyone's response, like you I had heard about it helping men and prostrate's, but not hair.
5' 11", HW 287, SW 270, GW 170                    
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views