Unsure if its foamies or just overeating. advice please

denebbers
on 11/3/11 2:33 am - Townsend, MA
VSG on 10/13/11 with
OK so today is 3 weeks!! haha i am down 25 lbs and super happy. I am abt to start creamed food BUT i am afraid for the following reason:

Just about everyday, when I have a soup, or v8 or anything that is thicker tha****er.. I 'll have 3-5 spoons of it and feel it come BACK UP when I burp. I also feel pressure (like my stomach is gasping for air) and as I try to relieve that feeling...I feel the food resting in my esophagus and it ends up coming back up. It's really gross and scary. I keep trying to get more food in, but my new stomach feels so restricted.. I'm only getting 300-400 cals / day. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I do realize at times that I am eating too fast and have to set the food down and wait abt 8-10 minutes before I can take another spoonful.

this feeling also happens with liquids at times.. The only time it has not happened is in the morning..

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Deneb

cattywompos
on 11/3/11 2:42 am
Sounds like you are eating too fast or taking too big of bites (sips) at a time.  Slow it down, eat tiny tiny bites. More than likely the top of your tummy is still very swollen and it is taking its dear sweet time to let food in.  I also think that you are able to eat better in the morning because your tummy has had time to empty out before you attempt to eat again.  Not much else you can do but slow it down and wait for tummy to heal a bit more.
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

denebbers
on 11/3/11 2:46 am - Townsend, MA
VSG on 10/13/11 with
oshh! So it is my HUNGER MONGER after all :s I have so much to learn.. I need patience, lots of it.

Thank you so much Catty!
rhidunn
on 11/3/11 3:39 am - Annapolis, MD
I highly recommend getting a baby spoon - a real baby spoon and using that for a while.  I had a lot of problems early on and it was a big help.  Only take 1/2 a spoonful from the baby spoon and wait like 5 minutes between bites.  Even on the creamed foods "chew" it a bunch before swallowing.  Hang in there! 

mawmawpenny
on 11/3/11 3:40 am - LA

Hi Deneb, when you said "take another spoonful" it may be because you are taking to big of a bite. I ate with a baby spoon and just enough to cover the tip of it until I could judge using a regular spoon. I still have to take very little bites or it hurts going down. Hope this helps and great job on the weight loss.

Penny

2muchfluff
on 11/3/11 3:46 am
 Sounds like you are still swollen and trying to go too fast.  That will all subside with time.  I was only able to get in about 300-400 calories at your stage and I was worried about it, but my surgeon and nutritionist were good with that.  Your capacity will slowly increase as you heal.  Soon you will be able to eat more normal and this will just be a  memory.

theshrinkingmimi
on 11/3/11 3:55 am
You are so early out, I'm guessing it is what others are saying. So, make a super effort for a day and see what happens.

I know that 'mindful' eating requires you to sit still and do nothing while focusing on eating your food. However, to slow myself down, I found other things to do. I didn't do the baby spoon idea. But at the early stage, I did not eat a whole spoonful of anything.  I also did not lay down and sometimes made a point to walk around between bites.

For instance, I would take a bite, then do some dishes or laundry, then take another bite. I remember eating breakfast by taking a bite, then put on some make up, take another bite, put on my clothes, take another bite, etc. I would busy myself for a set period of time.

If you set a timer or just be deligent for a day about slowing  down, then you will know for sure if that is the issue.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
denebbers
on 11/3/11 4:33 am - Townsend, MA
VSG on 10/13/11 with
Perfect! the timer idea and baby spoon idea should def train me into slowing down! thanks so much everyone
Smardeepants
on 11/3/11 8:53 am
I agree with others, too  much at once, or even too fast.

Any sort of pressure (even shoulder pressure/pain) was a too much/too fast sign early out.

When I was cleared for full liquids I jumped right in, but was too restricted/full for too long. It compromised my ability to take liquids. My calories were VERY low... 200-300 range, but better to be well hydrated than well fed. I backed off the thicker foods and stuck with clears a bit longer/more often if teenie TINY sips don't help.

Another trick (I used to get protein drinks down early out) was to alternate sips of thicker liquids with water, or even thin down the thicker liquids just a tad.

Hope this helps! 

Most Active