Stalls, what to eat and other things of no particular importance

OldMedic
on 11/4/11 7:40 am - Alvaton, KY
No matter what you do, stalls are likely to happen.  They occur MUCH more frequently in women than they do in men (the same hormones that keep you alive longer, contribute to this).

Don't get in a panic, don't freak out, they happen.  Just stick with your program, and they will likely go away on their own.

If they last 3 weeks or longer, then simply go back on strictly protein shakes for 5 days, to shake up your weight loss and get it moving again.

You should be averaging about 3/4 protein during your weight loss phase.  This replaces the protein your body burns off, and forces you body to use YOUR fat as fuel.  

That does NOT mean if you ate a cupcake (even a gourmet one with 5 inches of frosting on top) that your are doomed.   Well, maybe doomed, but not because of that.  We ALL cheat, if we are honest, just about all of us that made it will admit that they cheated at least once (and in my case, several times MORE than once).

BUT, IF I CHEAT, I HAVE TO BE PUNISHED!

Nope, you don't.  It is NOT a sin, you won't be condemned to hell because of it, and unless you make a habit out of doing it, you won't even set your weight loss back much, if at all.  Just do it, get it over with, and GET RIGHT BACK ON PROGRAM. Don't let guilt paralyse you.

Supplements WILL be a part of your life, probably forever.  It's no big problem, it is not hard to take them.  So you take some calcium citrate, a multi-vitamin and maybe some specific thing (in my case iron and B-12).  Big freaking deal!  I would a whole lot rather take those, and a lot more if necessary, than carry around that 195 pounds that was literally killing me!

Movement:  This IS a big deal for a lot of us.  It is NOT the most delicate of subjects, and some folks really avoid the topic, but they shouldn't.

We take in a lot of protein, and VERY little fiber and bulk.  So, going to the bathroom can become a big pain in the tush (literally as well as figuratively).

So, once again, you take something for this.  Stool softeners help, and so  for medoes additional fiber.  I am on some moderately heavy doses of narcotic pain meds, which makes the problem a LOT worse for me, so personally, I take 6 fiber capsules (split between breakfast and lunch) and 5 stool softeners with my night time medication.  

You should take what YOU need to deal with YOUR  problem.  You can adjust the doses to suit your needs.  But please, don't let embarassment keep you from using these things.

I can tell you that taking fiber and softeners is a LOT better than straining, not being able to go for days on end, and having this literally become a big pain in the behind (and possibly cause some permanent damage in extreme cases)!

Keep in mind that every single one of us is human.  None of us walks on water, none of us can turn water into wine (into whine maybe, but that's a whole different thing).  We have all made, and we will all continue to make, mistakes with our program.

Me, I got complacent, and decided I didn't need to weigh myself so often after almost 3 years post-op.  So, I regained 20 pounds, and had to get back on program big time.  It's a LOT easier to keep it off, than it is to lose it again.  I am back down to goal weight, but it was a real ***** making myself stick 100% to program, after NOT having to do that for over 18 months.

The moral of this is, no matter how good you are, no matter how you think you are doing, you can lose track.  There is NO substitute for regular weighing, AND RECORDING THOSE WEIGHTS, for the rest of your life.  It is far easier to prevent weight regain, than it is to lose it again and again and again.

You all can do it.  You CAN make goal.  If a broken down old guy of 65, who thinks that walking to the bathroom is "exercise" can do it, there is absolutely no reason on earth why you younger healthy types can't.

It's all in your head, LITERALLY.  You have control of yourself, and you can either choose to do it, or not to do it.

I hope, and pray, think that all of you WILL decide that you are going to do it.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

20maddie
on 11/4/11 7:58 am - TX
Thank  you for this. I really needed the pep talk. 
    HW 239  SW 234  GW 135  HT 5'4

Edit   Delete  

betti
on 11/4/11 8:19 am
VSG on 07/19/11 with
Just noticed that we had our surgery within one day of each other and we have basically lost the same weight too.  Keep up the great work!!!

katier825
on 11/4/11 9:10 am
Great post!
lmreadynow
on 11/4/11 9:55 am
  THANK YOU!!!  

HW291  SW279  l'm 5'7"        
amidwife4u
on 11/4/11 10:41 am
Awesome post!  I needed this today.  I am only 5.5 weeks out but feeling pretty good.  The stool softener issue is a good one.  Learning to adjust my dose to find what works for me.  Thanks for the reminder that it is OK to have a treat now and then....and not punish yourself.  I did this surgery afterall, so that I could have a "normal" relationship with food.....ultimately.  I am learning new skills every day.  The biggest lesson.....chew, chew, chew....and SLOW DOWN!  I have learned so much about my bad eating habits...not just WHAT I was eating, but HOW I was eating. 

So glad I made the commitment to make the changes.  Loving my sleeve.

Julie

HW 232 SW 218  WT when leaving hospital 219.5
heathermc44
on 11/4/11 10:47 am - Bremerton, WA
I will echo what all the other posters said - thanks for the reminder! 

KathyA999
on 11/4/11 11:02 am
Old Medic, I think I love you, LOL!  I have always so enjoyed your posts!  And found inspiration in them too, since I was one of the older folks when I had surgery (60 last year, now 61 and 136 lbs, holy ****!)  Great to hear from you again, and thanks!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

frisco
on 11/4/11 12:12 pm

Wow.....

OM admitting a 20lbs. regain.......

Gotta respect that !!!

Right on OM !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

mini_me_ now
on 11/4/11 12:41 pm

I think the bigger message is  he took it off again, the sleeve works if you let it,  and eat on program I agree with him  that taking it off again is a bigger hassle than keeping an eye on it... yayyyy for the sleeve..
Linda     5".4

6lbs under goal weight
                  Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active