RNYer needs help from Sleeve Family

spedcon
on 11/8/11 10:44 am
Hi OH Family!
Here is my dilemma...Spring 2009 my best friend and I were scheduled for Realize Bands. After my consult with the surgeon, I decided against it. I knew the band would not meet all my medical needs and I wanted rid of Diabetes and Cirrhosis forever! I went with rny but my friend did the band.

We were basically the same weight at around 280. Long story short, I have no more medical conditions, have lost 110 pounds and really only deal with reactive hypoglycemia on rare occasions. My best friend lost about 40 pounds and had constant vomiting and heart burn. We had a rough time of it between us but we came through it and remain best friends.

Recently, she discovered the band had slipped. No...shock, shock huh? Stupid band! Well, now for your help....Help!! She knows she would not be compliant with rny or DS. She hates taking meds on schedule and yes, she is a nurse...lol! How can I best help? I want to say, get rid of the band and switch to sleeve.

I know I can not decide for her but I want to encourage her in an educated manner. She hates being obese but is scared of the sleeve, especially after over two years of vomiting! My heart breaks for her and I want to help and yes, I do ask her to come here and talk to you but she just doesn't do it. I love OH and trust all of you so much. How can I best help her? I will be there when the band is removed no matter what but if she gets the sleeve, it should be done then. Help! Thank you all...sorry I ramble!     Connie 
USAF Wife
on 11/8/11 11:00 am
Have her read this:

http://vsgfaq.wordpress.com/

Tell her that she can contact me as well. . . if she's on here, tell her to message me privately.

I'm a band to VSG revision 29 months out, and can share my success, and struggles. I'm a no bull**** kind of girl, but I can tell her the sleeve is NOTHING like the band. No puking, no food getting stuck, no food intolerances. You can check my most recent posts about my success and why I chose VSG. My pregnancy post-VSG are all on here, and I'm more than happy to talk to her.

All she has to do is reach out to a few of us, or read enough of the information here.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

spedcon
on 11/8/11 11:12 am
Thank you so much, I will read and then have her look. She used to come on OH years ago but you know after feeling like a failure and watching her best friend succeed....I guess it was just too painful. I just want to help her make a good choice. She sounds just like you...no bull**** from her either.

The two of us are so different. I am more passive and tend to coddle people and she just "tells it like it is"! LOL...together we make a good team!     Connie
USAF Wife
on 11/8/11 11:23 am
On November 8, 2011 at 7:12 PM Pacific Time, spedcon wrote:
Thank you so much, I will read and then have her look. She used to come on OH years ago but you know after feeling like a failure and watching her best friend succeed....I guess it was just too painful. I just want to help her make a good choice. She sounds just like you...no bull**** from her either.

The two of us are so different. I am more passive and tend to coddle people and she just "tells it like it is"! LOL...together we make a good team!     Connie
Been thhere and done that on the "feel like a failure" thing and the band FAILED ME, I followed every effin band rule, puked on water some days. I actually deleted my old account after being attacked by bandsters telling me it was my fault yada yada.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Heather T.
on 11/8/11 11:06 am

I don't have any advice but I wanted to say that you are a great friend to be doing the research to help her become a healthy sucess. 

I haven't expierenced any "side effects" from having the VSG----no throwing up, daily medications, nothing----just a 100% normal stomach that is much smaller than before! 

Congratulations on your RYN sucess!

First Goal: loss of 30.25 pounds (1/4 of weight) GOAL MET ON 6/15/2011
Second Goal: loss of 60.5 pounds (1/2 of weight)  GOAL MET ON 9/24/2011
Third Goal: loss of  90.75 pounds (3/4 of weight)
Fourth Goal: loss of 121 pounds (100% of weight)

spedcon
on 11/8/11 11:18 am
Thank you Kelly! It has been rough but is easier now. At first, I would cringe every time I heard, "oh my God Connie, you look wonderful"! I would see the pain on her face...it sucked!

That's what I want to hear,  "normal" stomach!  She is used to dealing with food being stuck, vomiting and heart burn. I just want her to feel good about herself. We work together. I am a special ed teacher and she is the school nurse.

Thank you but I am at the dread period where it is so easy to gain weight! Arghhh! It is so hard now! I try hard to maintain!! Thanks for all your help!     Connie
roundater
on 11/8/11 11:55 am - Lincoln, NE
Yes, have her contact me by PM also. My sleeve absolutely rocks and I would not give it up for anything thing. Had not one complication with the surgery and I feel absolutely great! It helped my sister too (she inspired me to get it).
Rich Sonderegger

spedcon
on 11/9/11 11:29 am
I sure hope she will come in here and talk to all of you! It is a decision that cannot be taken lightly. This is all very helpful! Thank you so much! She is like my sister because I have only brothers and I would do anything to help her. Way to go!      Connie
Happy Camper
on 11/9/11 1:43 am
 I just had a revision from the band (hated it!) to the sleeve and am already n love with it!  It's sooooooo much better.  I always felt my band but the sleeve feels so much more natural.  I hope she considers it!!!!

spedcon
on 11/9/11 11:34 am
She is considering the sleeve. Her removal is scheduled in December...it will be removed and then, if she decides, a revision to sleeve. I only know about rny....unfortunately, I did not do my research or I would have had a DS!  I am grateful for my health now and would repeat surgery every month if I had to!

I know she has compliance issues. She does not like to take a lot of meds so DS is out! RNY is also not a good choice for her! I think she would do well with the sleeve. Thank you all so much for helping! She can also feel the band and has known for a while there was a problem! I hate that thing!                    Connie
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views