ABC Nightline VSG segment

Dudette
on 11/11/11 2:26 am - Edina, MN
Did anyone else see the Nightline piece on VSG last night? If you missed it, it's available on Hulu here:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/188126/abc-nightline-surgery-vertical-sleeve-gastrectomy

Thoughts? Comments?
Punkin Bugg
on 11/11/11 2:49 am
I'm only 2.5 weeks post-op, so it was hard to see the surgery being done (ow ow), and I'm surprised they send them home the same day -- ?!  Other than that, I thought it was a well-rounded piece.  Thanks for sharing!

HW283/SW275/CW251

Dudette
on 11/11/11 3:02 am - Edina, MN
Glad I'm not the only one! I was very surprised that VSG is being done as an outpatient procedure. I am 6 weeks post-op DS (with basically a VSG stomach). The other thing that bothered me was the suggestion/insinuation that VSG is a "new" procedure. I am sure a few people here would disagree.

Other than that I enjoyed the piece too. :-)
felicity2u
on 11/11/11 2:57 am - LA
This is the support group that I attend.  They are a great group of women and men.  Dr. Treen is the partner to the doctor who did my surgery Dr. Todd Belott.  While Dr. Treen is a wonderful doctor and have had friends go to him for VSG and had much success, the one reason I did not choose him was that if you were self pay, he sent you home the same day.  If your insurance covered it, then you stayed overnight.  I picked my surgeon because he keeps his patients overnight no matter how you pay.   There is no way that I could have gone home the same day.  These two surgeons and their nurses are a great group and would recommend them to anyone.  Glad to see that there is more out there on this wonderful procedure so that it may soon start to help others. 

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

Dudette
on 11/11/11 3:13 am - Edina, MN
I agree that same day release is probably too soon, but I was blown away by the price they are charging. $12K USD... that's incredibly affordable. I had my own surgery (DS) 6 weeks ago, self-pay in Mexico for just a little more than that. I think I was quoted $8K for the VSG in Mexico whi*****luded 3 nights in the hospital. However, not everyone has the cajones it takes to go to Mexico. LOL!

When it comes to something as serious as cutting out 85% of your stomach, low price isn't everything. However, for those without insurance who want to have surgery in the US... this might make that a more attainable option for some people.
Rouxful
on 11/11/11 4:26 am
 My surgeon in Mexico made me stay 3 nights, 4 if you count the night before surgery. I stayed 3 nights in the hospital and another 3 in the hotel. I couldn't even imagine going home the same day, especially with a JP drain. It's almost unthinkable to me.

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

tsicotte
on 11/11/11 4:36 am
I had my surgery with Dr. Treen, I was self pay and came home the same day with no problems. The women Nightline is my cousin and she swore by Dr. Treen. She is a RN and had only the best things to say about him. I am sure if there was a problem or if he felt you couldn't go home he would not send you home.  They are affordable but you are still getting great care! I have recommended him to others that love him also. I know everyone is different but going home the same day really was not bad. I rather be at home then in the hospital too. :)

hanset
on 11/11/11 4:45 am - marcus hook, PA

THANKS!!!  for sharing this!! I posted it on my facebook cause I have alot of people who dont know what VSG is.  I still think its weird he went home the sameday!! and how he got up from the wheelchair like that!1 LOL I was a hot mess!

~~Traci~~~        
fysicsgrl
on 11/11/11 5:26 am
My father and I were both outpatient surgeries.  We had absolutely no problems.  The doctor gave my Mom (our care giver at the time of release) his cell phone number in case she needed him.  The surgery center & the doctor called to check on us too.  If you think about it there are lots of other surgeries that are just as serious that are outpatient also. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views