Need a substitute for half & half

windyacres
on 11/11/11 3:41 am - Garner, NC
 I was raised from childhood drinking "English" style tea, with cream and sugar.
Okay, Splenda does fine for the sugar, but I haven't found anything that will 
make a yummy substitute for half and half.  Half & Half has 20 cal. per Tbsp.
and I use a lot of it!

I tried So Delicious Coconut Milk Creamer, which has 10 cal./Tbsp., but it
just doesn't cut the tannic acid in the tea the way half and half does.  Most
coffee creamers have just as many calories as half and half.

I don't know if I can give up Diet Coke  AND  my beloved half and half.

Edie
Approved 8-1-11, Surgery 8-22-11  SW 231, Goal 140, CW 165

annatschida
on 11/11/11 3:53 am - Shakopee, MN
Were you told that you had to keep it very low calorie? I figured that, with as little as I use, I am only consuming maybe 35-40 calories. Otherwise I love the sugar free coffee creamers...could try those. Good luck :0)

windyacres
on 11/11/11 4:03 am - Garner, NC
 I usually use 2 Tbsp. in a mug of tea.  If you multiply that by three cups it can be 120 calories!!

I just love sitting and drinking my hot tea in the morning.  And NO I don't want to put protein in it.  YUCK!

When it was hot out, I was fine with having a cold protein shake for breakfast.

Edie

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/11 4:05 am
I LOVE English tea! Strong as heck with cream and sugar. My granny lived in England and that's how she drank her tea and how I learned to drink it, too. I don't blame you for not wanting to give that up. My dad uses the fat free half and half and grew up drinking my Granny's tea. He likes it just fine and he's a skinny man. Perhaps you could give that Fat Free Half and Half a try. Couldnt hurt. I've used it in coffee and it's just fine. My other suggestion is to try Horizon organic ultra pasturized milk. It's very rich and creamy and far lower in calories. It's not cheap, but very tasty.
edelu
on 11/11/11 4:10 am - los angeles, CA
I'd keep it. We can get so few calories in and it is carb right.  I know some sleevers do rel cream in their coffee and see it as a treat.  If you love it this much, keep it but add it in your calories daily.  Think of it as your treat.  Also try the ff half and half at any grocery store and see if it works for you.
pcannedy
on 11/11/11 4:16 am - Sacramento, CA
I use Coffee Mate French Vanilla, they have fat free or sugar free too.  They have plain if that is what you like.  It is 25 calories, and I love it.  I have used it in my coffee since I started drinking my coffee.  I love it.  It has not caused me to eat or over drink.  I stay on protein, some fruit and some veggies, and I can lose weight. 

windyacres
on 11/11/11 5:33 am - Garner, NC
 So it's 25 cal./Tbsp??  That's more than my Half & Half.

Edie

kimberleyann
on 11/11/11 4:27 am - Kingston, NS, Canada
I am married to an Eglishman who drank "real milk" before he moved here to Canada with me.  He now drinks Skim milk and uses it in his tea.  It was a step down process.  Just tried lower and lower fat milks over time ( and it took months).  He now detests even 2% milk, says it feels like fat cream on his tongue. It didn't happen over night but eventually it becomes normal.  He still is a tea fanatic and drinks it whether it is cold out or over 85 Degrees. Mad dogs and English men as they say.

edelu
on 11/11/11 4:43 am - los angeles, CA
I drink skim milk by the glass and in everything besides tea and coffee.  it's just uncivilized somehow I'd rather have it black. The real thing or nothing at all.  now i can have a skim cappuccino or chai or latte, just not the drop in the tea or coffee.  Habit is a *****
LynMac35
on 11/11/11 6:22 am
Me too - from a family of tea drinkers. Gave up the sugar, caffeine but I couldn't give up my half-n-half either and I didn't. I drink 2 cups (sometimes 3) per day and just count those 40 calories/cup in.

HW 355/ Pre-Liquid Diet 324/DOS 311/Current 212/Goal 140
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views