TRYING to be strong!!!! Need to VENT!!! NEED ideas for soups

bathoria
on 11/11/11 7:51 am, edited 11/11/11 8:01 am - San Antonio, TX

Ok today is my 3rd day of Pre op liquid diet, I am TRYING really hard to stay strong. It is hard when I have to cook breakfast for my husband ( who does not cook ) :( Today I made chocolate chip pancakes and I had to suffered making them and  the smell and stuff lol. Then my hubby brought some french bread from Sam's  so I can fix him a sub from lunch.  And to end the day because he is an Army Veteran,he got  FREE food at Chili's :( I am constantly hungry and fighting  not to cheat on this diet,sometimes I want to cry ,seriously . I am allow to eat cream soups low fat strained,sugar free jello,pudding and crystal light. Also natural no sugar added apple sauce and protein shakes low in sugar like EAS. I am so tired of eating these cream can soups :( I need recipes and ideas to make the soups homemade,anyone can help me with this? I googled Pre op soups recipes and I haven't find much info. I need help to keep going with this diet, I feel like giving up and I still have 12 long days more. Thank you in advance

Smardeepants
on 11/11/11 8:09 am
Here are a few that would be low carb and work well... I *love* allrecipes.com. You might also try googling "low carb soup recipes"... and pureeing whatever you make.

Butternut squash bisque http://allrecipes.com/recipe/butternut-squash-bisque/detail. aspx

haven't  tried this particular one, but maybe a broccoli-cheddar? I would probably sub cornstarch for flour, as you can use 1/2 as much to reduce carbs.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cream-of-broccoli-soup-i/detail .aspx

cream of cauliflower (got great reviews)
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cream-of-cauliflower-soup-ii/de tail.aspx

golden mushroom

PaulaS
on 11/11/11 8:15 am - TX
Hey there!   I wondered how you were doing - thought about you starting this Wednesday!
No ideas for soup from me, I only fixed tomato soup which I love.  

Just keep focused, and I KNOW you can do this!    It is just something you have to make up your mind to do, and do it!   The time will fly by and you'll be at the end before you know it! 

I can't remember for sure, but I think I could have yogurt, too.   I love Greek yogurt, but not everyone does.   Fage is the best for my taste!  If you get plain, be sure to add some Equal to it or some sugar free flavoring syrups if you like those.  

I remember eating applesauce - wish I was closer because I still have some in the pantry that I am not eating...

I did have one advantage - my hubby cooked and I did not have to during this part.   Try fixing him the stuff he likes and you don't especially like.  

I did go out with hubby a few times when he ate, just made sure I had a protein shake or something before we went to fill me up,.

For me, after the 3rd day, the strong hunger went away and I was ok with what I got.   I have heard some others say the same thing about the 3 days....

I remember sugar free pudding, too.   Never ate that before or after, but it was good then!  
I bought jello, but don't think I ate it - personal preference ;).

I think I remember hearing there was a chance that if I did not comply and shrink my liver, they could not complete the operation.   That was what kept me in line with the 2 week pre-op diet. 

Remember, almost everyone has to go thru this, and you, too, will get thru it!   Not easy, but definitely worth it!!!!!   And, the liquid post-op phase is definitely easier!!!

Oh, and KEEP BUSY!   That definitely helped me!   Diverted my attention from wanting to eat!  

Can't wait until you have this 2 weeks behind you!!    Be sure to post on here after your surgery, or have your hubby post!!

And, THANKS to your hubby for all his sacrifices and service!!   And, your sacrifices, too!!!!!!!!!

Hugs - you'll be fine!   

Highest weight, 248#
Surgery weight, 236#
Current weight, 138#
Ashleyxx
on 11/11/11 8:22 am - Detroit, MI
Hey bathoria, Im on my third day of my liquid diet aswell, I only have to do mine for a week though. I hear you on the creamed soups!! But like others have said hopefully by tomorrow our hunger will have died down some.

Good luck :)
TexasProud
on 11/11/11 8:38 am - Frisco, TX
Hi, I'm on my 4th day post op. One soup that I ate everyday was black bean soup. We made a big batch and would puree it and freeze some for later. Here's the recipe:
Sauté 1 onion, 1 stalk of celery, two carrots and 4 cloves of garlic (we used garlic powder). Season with 2 T chili powder, 1T cumin and black pepper. Stir in 4 cups of veg. broth, 4 cans of black beans and 1 can (14.5 oz) crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.

Once it cools, put itt in the blender and let it go. It's yummy just like this, but to kick it up a notch, I add pureed pi****ilantro, onion & tomato plus salt & pepper) and drizzle it over top and add a dollop of fat free Greek yogurt. Wow!!

I can wait until a few more days until I can eat that again. Today is my last day of clear liquids post op. Good luck to you!!!

(FYI: if you drink a few protein shakes it will help keep you full).

tillmadd
on 11/11/11 9:03 am - WI
 You should be able to eat light yogurt, cottage cheese (limited to a couple TBS) my doc would not let me eat any heavy soups, thick with beans, only creamed but could do campbells tomaote and chicken. I drank juices, v-8, beef/chicken broth and by day 4 I was soooo excited about the surgery that the hunger was mostly gone. Drink lots of water...crystal light, jello , sf popsicles...it is all worth it....you will be fine!!!
HW 314    SW 297 Thanks for the season Packers! 15-2!!
**CW 234 month 1-23 month 2-14 month 3-13 month 4-11 

skipegirl61
on 11/11/11 11:18 am
I would puree just about anything I could get my hands on, except for high calorie sweets and stuff like that.  I would blend home made potato soup, black bean soup, and just about any soup that I wanted to try.  After my surgery, when I was on clear liquids my hubby would go get me wonton soup, which was the best!!!
Shannon P.                
bathoria
on 11/11/11 11:58 am - San Antonio, TX
 Thank you so much everybody :) I am going to try that Black bean soup :) sounds delicious ,Thank you Texasproud :)

And Paula,thank you so much for your tips,they are very helpful!!! I am so happy for your weight now :) And Thanks to your hubby as well :)
BethR311
on 11/12/11 4:38 am - Fort Wayne, IN
Try egg drop and hot and sour soup. They might be a little high in sodium so I'd do one every other day but the egg drop is great for protein and the hot and sour for flavor.

Good luck!

Open yourself to possibility and possibility will present itself.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 47 views