10 month Dr. check !!!

BriarRose
on 11/11/11 11:26 pm
Saw my surgeon yesterday for a check up and "how are you doing" appt.   I was a bit concerned that I might get "yelled at" because my weight loss has slowed down so much....but surprisingly (to me at any rate !) He was thrilled with my progress, says that I am an absolute success, and was so encouraging that I could hardly believe it !

Someone else recently posted about not comparing ourselves to others in terms of how fast we shed the pounds.  And some possible reasons for slower weight loss.  My doctor told me almost exactly the same thing !

He made these points:

I started at 300 pounds, and lost over 30 pounds pre-op in 5 months;  this made surgery safer for me, easier for him, and lowered expectations for super fast weight loss post-op.

I have been obese for more than 30 years.

I am over 50

I am a woman  (with a total hysterectomy and do not take hormone replacements)

I have severe arthritis that limits physical activity  (prior to surgery and up to 6 months ago I used a cane to walk.)

And or But depending how you see it, I have lost a total of 119 pounds in the past 15 months, I have increased my range of motion in most of my joints through exercise, and I no longer need a cane to walk.

I am within 11 freaking pounds of my surgeon's goal for me which will be just over 75% loss of my total excess weight.   

I feel so much better -- both he and his nutritionist were supportive and pleased -- and I realized MOST IMPORTANTLY -- that I really HAVE DONE THIS ! 

When I told them that I do eat a bite or two of carbs from time to time, and do indulge in a bite or two of a dessert a couple times a week....their answer ?! GREAT !!! Learning control, learning how to moderate your food is what this is all about !!!  And told me that what I have learned will serve me well in maintaining my weight for the rest of my life. 

It's nice to hear validation every once in a while !!!

Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
onehappygirl
on 11/12/11 12:18 am
Good work sleeve sister(I am also 1-24-11). Some day it will truly hit us how much we have lost and hard we have worked for it every day since surgery.
dittodotv
on 11/12/11 12:58 am
That is absolutely FABULOUS!!! I can't wait to be able to have a similar success story! My surgery is Nov. 30 and I also have limited mobility issues due to severe arthritis and actually use two crutches to do any extensive walking (whi*****ludes walking from parking lot to my doctor's office)... I sincerely hope and pray to be hearing similar "good job" stories just like you!! You have truly inspired me (I am also at 330 2 days ago and I just turned 49), and if I am the only person that needed to hear your story, THANK YOU for taking the time to share it!!

50yr. old female 5'8" / HW 363 / ConsW 346 / SW 333 / CW 184.4

onmyway130
on 11/12/11 1:22 am
Way to go!  Thanks for the inspiration!  I too start out close to 300-298-and lost down to 265 before surgery in July.  I also went to the doctor yesterday thinking I might get a lecture since I hadn't been doing weights like he recommended at the last visit.  To my surprise he told me I was doing wonderful!  And he reinforced it several times!  He also told me to be a lot more positive with myself talk because what  he was saying was true-I was doing wonderful!   I have to admit I felt pretty good when I left his office so I totally understand what your post!  Thanks! 

HW304, CW298, SW265     
kimbethin
on 11/12/11 3:02 am - CA
You have done so well!  I'm glad your surgeon was able to make you see that.  Your quality of life has changed so much because of your hard work.  You should be so proud of yourself!!  I hope I have come so far at the 10 month mark.  Thanks for the inspiration!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
atlanta_living
on 11/13/11 3:10 am
Great job!  Total Success!

~Helen~
“You can suffer the pain of change or suffer remaining the way you are.?  ~Joyce Meyer~

Ht 5'0" /Consult Wt: 214 /Surg Wt: 205 /Goal Wt: 125 / Current Wt: 119       
September903
on 11/13/11 7:45 am
Thank you for reiterating what your doctor advised you. My doctor and I had a similar discussion a month ago at my 6 month check up. He also advised my to increase my cardio and start keeping my food diary again. Great job! Thank you again, for the inspiration.
Most Active