my 'maintenance' work.

happyjumpy
on 11/12/11 12:58 pm - santa barbara, CA
 hi folks. i just wanted to share- in case it helps someone...

i have spent the majority of my energy since meeting goal on learning how to live this new life out...stamina and longevity, balance and inner freedom are what i yearn for. healing my heart and learning new strategies for coping are for me that last component.

i have delved into Katie Jay's teaching, also really enjoy some stuff i have learned from Lisa Claudia Briggs (stress control and how to self sooth in particular). i ordered some stuff from Colleen Cooke but have not yet read it. for me if i had to pick ONE resource it would be Katie Jay, and if you sign up for her 30 day program make sure you listen to her 'interview with the masters' downloads. they are awesome!

you can look these folks, their websites and resources up with an easy google search. a lot of their resources are free. what i am learning in this quest has helped me step into the next leg of my journey.

you CAN do this. you are stronger then you think!
blessings,
Kathie
VSG 5/17/10 HW 298 GW 145 CW 143
Kathie 

‎"Shame is the lie someone told you about yourself." Anais Nin  
ruggie
on 11/12/11 12:59 pm - Sacramento, CA
What is the singlemost helpful item you've learned from these individuals?

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

happyjumpy
on 11/12/11 1:12 pm, edited 11/12/11 1:19 pm - santa barbara, CA
not ONE thing really. if i had to pick one it would be how to self sooth in non harmful ways, and secondarily how to be kind to myself, and third detailed tips on how to set healthy boundaries. 
being curious rather than critical during a struggle has been a helpful concept.  there is SO MUCH!!!
i think as we expose ourselves to this sort of teaching and wise guidance, each of us absorbs what WE need, so what has stood out for me may not be the area YOU need to grow. it is about me 'being' different, not just learning new things mentally.
i know it is working when it works under fire. when i wiggle out of an area that used to trap me up. when my relationship with food is gradually filled with more and more peace and control. it is not so much about head knowlege as it is a new way of being in the world, and freedom.
Kathie 

frisco
on 11/12/11 8:00 pm

Hey happy !

I remember when we first started this thing.....actually seems like long ago now.

I'm glad you/we have the concentration on maintenance.......This process really does have a lot of phases and it's the continued education that will make the difference !

OH member brownblonde posted a phrase a while back..... how she now has a "non abusive relationship with food"

This rings true with me also.... just didn't have a term for it before.

My relationship with food now is a healthy one..... embracing food and enjoying taste and flavors....and knowing what I'm eating....It's not always good....but I know what's up now....

One way I try and look at it is that old saying about keeping your enemies close.....

Keep the path !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

happyjumpy
on 11/12/11 11:59 pm - santa barbara, CA
awesome! nice to hear from you Frisco!!!
next week is my 40th birthday and my 18 month surgiversery.
Kathie 

sleeve genie
on 11/13/11 12:59 am - Alhambra, CA
I'm so happy for you sweetie,  you have done an amazing job and should be so proud of yourself  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

MyOwnSunshine
on 11/13/11 1:37 am
Congratulations on your mindful maintenance!  My amazon wish list is growing today. 
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
theshrinkingmimi
on 11/13/11 5:54 am
Great post. I've spent a lot of sessions talking to my therapist about self-soothing. It is so important. I am developing habits now. 

It is so important for people to realize that it is not only about getting our stomachs cut-off. We must adjust our lifestyle and relationships, especially relationships with food and ourselves.

This is an extremely important post for pre-ops and those struggling.

Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views