Drain

lessthanB4
on 11/17/11 2:48 am - Southeast, TX
I am scheduled to have VSG Monday, Nov. 21 after having my lapband removed in August 2010 due to slippage.  Of course, with the band, I did not have a drain.  Can you tell me what to expect?  Are there any suggestions for making myself more comfortable while I have it?  Is it painful when the tube is removed?

Thank you for any input you may have.

Lisa

NMGAL15
on 11/17/11 2:55 am - Rio Rancho, NM
I had mine done nov 1. I was worried about the drain too but honestly it was nothing! I didn't notice it even there, I had the nurse safety pin it to my gown so I could walk easier. I won't lie though it feels so weird coming out! But once its out you will feel so much better! good luck you'll do great!
lessthanB4
on 11/17/11 3:01 am - Southeast, TX
Thank you! 

newme2011-2012
on 11/17/11 3:13 am
I had mine the 10th of Nov. And they did not use a drain.
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

Crystal M.
on 11/17/11 3:27 am - El Paso, TX
I had my VSG in September and there was no drain. My doctor uses them more in bypass surgeries, not so much in sleeve surgeries. I think most VSG patients don't have them. Did your doctor tell you he was going to use one?
It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

lessthanB4
on 11/17/11 3:57 am - Southeast, TX
Yes.  My surgeon told me that I will have a drain.

PsychoWriter
on 11/17/11 4:34 am - St Petersburg, FL
I had my surgery on november second and let me tell you the drain was the worst part of the whole experience. it is very uncomfortable while it is in and makes other things hurt. when I finally have the drain remove I was off iv the pain meds but my nurse did suggest I take my oral pain meds n wait 30 minutes before removing the drain. This didn't really help much but I still suggest it b/c no matter what I went thru the removal of that drain was thee most painful thing I've ever been thru. There are people on here who didn't have a problem n theres others that would agree me here. Just saying prepare yourself. The removal is painful.

*Now is blessed, the rest...remembered. -Jim Morrison*

Valerie K.
on 11/17/11 4:49 am - Dearborn, MI
 wow I did not have a drain for my VSG. I did have a tummy tuck October this year 3 weeks ago and had 2 drains. I hated them they pinched me and they did hurt on my sides where they were placed.

When I went in to the office Tuesday this week he removed them and I felt nothing I was freaking out so bad about them hurting when he removed them lol. He called me a big baby and when he pulled the first one out I looked at him and said really that is it i felt nothing with the first side. Than he went to the other side and pulled it out and all I felt was a little pressure after it popped out of me but no pain I lol and he said see you chicken.

My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

kimbethin
on 11/17/11 4:50 am - CA
I had a drain for 24 hours.  It did cause pain and they removed it early because of the pain.  It didn't hurt coming out, just a very odd feeling.  I was so happy it was coming out that I didn't care if the removal hurt!  After that I didn't take anymore pain meds.  I know the drain is scary and I did hate it, but almost 5 months later I would do it again and again if I needed to.  I don't believe there is anything to change how it feels.  Either it hurts or it doesn't.  I'm a nurse and was pretty vocal to the docs about the pain only being from the drain.  Everything looked good to them and I was able to drink, so they took it out a day early.  If you find yourself in the same situation, don't be shy.  Let them know how you feel.  Most people posting about the drain have found it annoying but not painful, so I hope you will be in that group.  Good Luck with your surgery!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
LaToya S.
on 11/17/11 5:19 am - Edwardsville, IL
Most Active