Hair Loss

SweetiePea
on 11/25/11 11:31 am - IA

I know it's posted time after time...again and again but really like to know starts and noticing renewals!!! (Double my protien from the beginning from what the NUT suggested cause I read from this website...so...now it begun. :-(  )

I thought I would of skated pass it but my 4-6months has been tragic to me. My 6th month was so awful. My hairdresser last week cried while doing my hair. Before then had appt with surgeon and they did another bloodwork on me and all levels showed to be normal. So...ok...fine...but when does it really SLOW down???? Please...please....I beg....share your story????

I have been taking Biotin for the past couple months...combine with Noixin hair product....so....if if I need to wait it out...then ok. But really know when it would finally let off!!!

Height - 4'10"

Foxbins
on 11/25/11 11:47 am
I started losing my hair at about three months after surgery and it just stopped 2 weeks ago, at month 10.  I had really thick hair up until about three years ago, when my hypothyroidism meds got out of whack and I started losing a lot, so I had thin hair to begin with after surgery.  However, there were no bald spots, and I wear it shorter than my chin so there is no teeny-tiny ponytail diameter for someone to notice.  I used John Frieda's Root Rescue spray to give some volume to the roots so they didn't look so flat.  Looking forward to next year when I hope I'll have a fuller head of hair, but thank goodness the loss has finally stopped.  I take an iron supplement and some zinc and that seems to help as well.  Biotin only seemed to work for my nails.
SweetiePea
on 11/25/11 11:51 am - IA
Your response it GREATLY appreciated!!

Though I know there is history of hair loss stories it feels better to read most current stories.

Height - 4'10"

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/11 12:04 pm
I've had thinning hair for years. I lost a TON when I lost a lot of weight fast 15 odd years ago.. and it's doing it again now. Mine started at 4mo out, and is still going.. it may be slowing down, hard to tell as I cut it shorter.

I've been on 5000mcg of biotin for a couple years for my nails (it works) - but it does nothing for my hair.. I also have been using Men's Rogaine Foam for years for my thinning hair (on a drs ok, after a lot of testing) and that doesn't even stop the post weight loss shed as it's a different cause... So, from past exp, my hair stopped after about 5-6mo of shedding.. I'm not expecting this to be any different.. so prob about the time I hit goal, I'll stop losing my hair! I do see a few sprouts, but not many yet.. and I'm 8mo out, and 4 mo into my current "shed cycle."
SweetiePea
on 11/25/11 12:16 pm - IA
Thank you Joe777....response is SO appreciated!!!!! For those that haven't started yet....can at least take a gauge from it.

Sending a hopeful message.
Height - 4'10"

Chelle2380
on 11/25/11 12:24 pm, edited 11/25/11 12:57 pm - TX
So after you stop losing it will it grow back?

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/11 12:39 pm
Yes, it's called telogen effluvium. It's when due to some stressor, a large percentage of your hairs switch from the growth phase to the dormant phase.. Nothing switches this back on.. in time those hairs shed, and new growth soon starts. Your hair does this all the time, but all the hairs are on different cycles.. when your body hits a major stressor, like very fast weight loss, extended illness/high fever etc.. many hairs switch off at the same time. They do grow back, though you may have a lot of unruly little sprouts sticking up if you lose a lot!
bunnymom
on 11/25/11 12:30 pm, edited 11/25/11 12:30 pm
My loss started the very day I had my 3rd month anniversary. Very bad loss--had to wear berets and hats. It slowed down at month 6-7 and is really really growing back in now at month 10.5. Just in the last week, the shiny bald spots are really disappearing and curly sprouts are framing my face and head. I have been a Minoxidil user for 10 years so had a double whammy. Because of the folks on here I have switched from women's Minoxidil to men's strength. The texture of my hair is still bad--feels like straw--but at least the bald spots are starting to disappear. I fretted and fretted over it, then just said Hooey on it--to heck with it and quit worrying about it. All my friends and husband knew what I was going thru, so once it is out in the open all you can do is get hats, quit worrying about it, and the time passes quicker if you quit fretting. It WILL come back, and often, as with me, it comes back twice as curly and some say twice as thick. Be brave! Have heart! Concentrate on your weight loss instead.
Bunnymom            
wifey9
on 11/25/11 1:33 pm
I think on the Roux en Y forum I read where someone posted about Inositol being a very helpful supplement in this regard ..... I have been doing some research on it the last few days and intend to go to the health food store and go buy some this weekend....
clthomp
on 11/25/11 1:34 pm - TN
prenatal vitamins did the trick for me
Most Active