Goal weight - moving target?

Jasonm11
on 11/28/11 7:00 am
So now that I am 9 months into this, I have officially decided to adjust my goal wieght, in a direction most probably wouldn't.  I adjusted from 200 to 220. 

My reasoning behind this might not make sense to many but it is what it is.  I got this surgery to get healthy, not skinny.  I actually choose VSG over DS both for cost and I was afraid I would be skinny with DS.  I don't want to be skinny.  I don't want to be fat but I don't want to be skinny.  I want to be healthy and able to do what I want without my size holding me back. 

When I was 370i**** was difficult to determine what weight that would occur at.  I initially set it at 220 but after the doctor and I talked, I adjusted it down to 200 as somewhat of a moving goal.

Now that I am passed 230 and quickly approaching 220, I can tell I don't want to be any smaller.  My health has improved drastically.  I am completely in good health.  I make great choices in my meals(ok ok except over the holidays but seriously people, I don't care....), I can run long distances without dying, I can ride roller coasters, even though I haven't had a chance to yet.  Basically, all my health problems have completely resolved.  I wear a 36 pants and a large dress shirt.....just realized if you type shirt and get two letters off to the right on the keyboard, you get something totally different....look at it. I aint typing it.....but at those sizes, I look and feel great....love where I have gotten...any smaller and I don;t think I would like it.....though if my boobs wouldjust press in a lil more....but I;m afraid the excess skin is more the cause of that.

So at 220, I am calling it quits with 'honeymoon' period and going to slowly try to stop losing wieght.  That being said, I have actually been trying to do that for the last 15 pounds without success, so maybe it is time I look at the maintenance board for advice on how to adjust to that period in the best way.....

The original question I had for vets, was your goal moving or did you set it and forget it?

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
Mom4Jazz
on 11/28/11 7:15 am
I think for those of us have been obese a long time (I've never NOT been obese, I was obese in elementary school) it's difficult to imagine what will be a good weight for our bodies. We just have NO idea so it's like throwing darts at a dartboard to pick a goal initially. That's why a doctor's guidance is good at that point.

You know your body. If you're choosing 220 because it looks and feels right for your body and not because you're tired of the program, then I say move your goal.

One consideration, though, is whether you'll have a bounce-back. Some vets haven't, others have. That's actually why I may be moving my goal - so I can make 175 my "no go" weight, the weight I'll go no higher than. So I want a cushion below that weight before I go into maintenance.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Jasonm11
on 11/28/11 7:46 am
You're right about the bounce back.  I hope for none but need to plan for it.  I guess I should set 220 as my no go and plan for that to be my new high goal....maybe aim for 210 with a high of 220.  I think that should be feasible, though at this rate I am concerned on whether I will be able to stop at 210.....but I'll deal with that if and when it comes.

frisco
on 11/28/11 10:02 am
On November 28, 2011 at 3:46 PM Pacific Time, Jasonm11 wrote:
You're right about the bounce back.  I hope for none but need to plan for it.  I guess I should set 220 as my no go and plan for that to be my new high goal....maybe aim for 210 with a high of 220.  I think that should be feasible, though at this rate I am concerned on whether I will be able to stop at 210.....but I'll deal with that if and when it comes.

Now your thinkin !!!

Losing it will be be much easier now, than trying to lose 10lbs. from 230 --->220 later on.....

I would suggest you try 210lbs. (208-212) for a solid year. Stabilize.....let your body do all the resets.

Than keep your regain to 10lbs. over the next 5 years.......

What you don't wanna do is start the yo-yo thing........Your body really doesn't know WTF is normal any more !!!!

Very cool......I remember when you first started this thing!!!

You dun good man !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Jasonm11
on 11/28/11 8:37 pm
Thanks!  It's good to hear from someone who has had the success you have had.  I'm going to tighten down my meal plan belt and get these 15 or so pounds off over the next month or so and get down to 210.  Then, like you say, I'll hold that for a while and see where I am in a year or two.  I may end up becoming comfortable at that or a lower weight. 

We were talking over dinner last night about the self image and how for me, I still see the same person in the mirror, just with extra skin where fat was.  My mind still hasn;t caught up to see the skinny person I see when I compare pictures.  I need to setup a side by side picture to look at everytime I don't see the weight loss in the mirror.

Most Active