Coffee in Protein Shake

Texasteacher68
on 12/6/11 9:51 am - TX
 If I want to use some decaf coffee in a protein shake, should I use cold coffee or instant coffee granules?
nilesmama08
on 12/6/11 10:00 am - Atlanta , GA
Hello!

I teach too! I make hot instant coffee every morning. I place in a thermal container and it is the perfect temp at school. I add protein at school when coffee is cooler. The protein is my creamer and sugar!
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat   I met my initial goal of 160!          
Texasteacher68
on 12/6/11 10:03 am - TX
 Great idea! I will try it. My surgery is the 19th. I'm worried about eating and drinking once I return to school.
nilesmama08
on 12/6/11 10:08 am - Atlanta , GA
It was a struggle in the beginning staying hydrated and upping protein. At 2.5 months, it is second nature! Find what works for you. Most days, I drink and snack while teaching in order to meet my diet goals. Good luck to you!
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat   I met my initial goal of 160!          
(deactivated member)
on 12/6/11 10:22 am
At 10:00am recess I've been putting a decaf italian roast starbuck's via in my chocolate protein shake. I think it's delicious. Strong and mocha like. It's a routine I plan to continue once I return to work in January. (I let my students keep a water bottle on their desks. Luckily, the rule now applies to me! My district is big into health habits and staying hydrated is high on the list.)

abrown8434
on 12/6/11 10:25 am - VA
I use it hot and I make it in my coffee pot. I just make my coffee as I regularly woulld and then add my protein powder and use my shaker bottle. It is a nice way to sneak in your protein if you like coffee.

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

46_11tobeme
on 12/6/11 10:34 am - NJ
 I like my shakes cold, so I use the instant coffee. Gives good flavor. I usually mix with choc protein (ready made or powder), milk or water, and some hazelnut sugar free Torani syrup.

Krazydoglady
on 12/6/11 10:59 am - FL
I use hot coffee, but I usually mix the protien powder with my half & half first.  Whey protien can get clumpy in hot stuff if you're not careful.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/11 12:00 am
my doc had me with no caffine for several weeks after surgery. since then I rarely indulge but I do miss the taste of a good cup of coffee.  My morning indulgence is Syntrax Creamy Cappiccino, 23 g of protein plus whatever from the milk.  IF I want coffee I use Sanka or decaf instant.

I did learn that most protein powders clump in hot liquids or when heated so try different things. 

Most Active