stomach cancer

pauliegirl69
on 12/7/11 12:54 am - NJ
I have a friend that had LAP vertical sleeve about a year ago. He was doing so well with his weight loss. Basically his whole life was going well.

This weekend he had a huge boating in his stomach with enough discomfort to send him to the ER. After some testing he was told he has advanced stage stomach cancer that has travel into other organs in his body..He is dying..

I can help but wonder, if he had it prior to his sleeve and it wasnt caught...I thought a biopsy was a standard procedure of any organ or part or partial part of a body that is removed...I cant remember with mine...I thought some one here who just had surgery might know.

I'm just so upset...
Thanks for your help
(deactivated member)
on 12/7/11 1:02 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I am so sorry for you and your friend and his family.  :{ 

Standard protocol is that things removed are sent to pathology, so it might not have been there yet, some cancers grow soo fast. 

I wish there were comforting words, but I know there just arent any.  I will keep yall lifted up. 

*squeeze*
bunnymom
on 12/7/11 2:40 am
Brandilynn--your new avatar photo is drop dead gorgeous!  Just wanted to let you know how beautiful you have become!
Bunnymom            
(deactivated member)
on 12/7/11 2:44 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Thank you my friend!  Since I got off the coloring teat, I am all silvery har'd. 

Quite like your little Pugglin.  :} 
ALAN J.
on 12/7/11 1:03 am
 That's horrible!  Sorry to hear that.

Highest WGT-295, Surgery WGT-295, Goal WGT-215 - 80LB LOST in 8 months!

Jerilynk75
on 12/7/11 1:05 am - TX
I am so sorry for the diagnosis your friend received.  He will be in my thoughts and prayers.
As for the biopsy, I know that there was not one done the portion of the stomach that was removed during my surgery.  Since I was a self-pay individual, the sectioned stomach is not sent to pathology unless the patient specifically request that be done - and the patient must pay the pathology fee of around $800 before they will agree to do so.  

I specifically asked because I had similar questions.   

AmberK
on 12/7/11 1:13 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 I am so sorry! That is just not fair! I have had the thought of losing a bunch of weight and then something happing (like cancer). I will be praying for your friend! 
momsy55
on 12/7/11 1:23 am - ME
I am so so sorry for you and your friend.  I thought that the part of the stomach that's removed is checked by pathology, as mine was, but from other posts it sounds like that's not always the case.  Take care of youself, and I wish for your friend that whatever happens, s/he is pain free.

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Carmelita
on 12/7/11 2:13 am - Four Corners, NM
 Wow...that is so sad! Im so sorry to read this.

VSG a year ago, stomach cancer ...and TERMINAL today! EXTREMELY odd   somethin fishy in Denmark!
didn't he have his  post op checkups  ya know...labs!! office follow-ups, exams...3 MANDATORY our first year???? 
Like I say  EXTREMELY odd....

Protocol is excised stomach sent to pathology..woulda shoulda coulda been caught there!

When they biopsied his "cancer"  would show ORIGINATION of it  I imagine lymph or hepatic to be soo aggressive.  plain and simple stomach CA...more than likely RNY or TOTAL gastrectomy would take care of it! 

I sure hope NO ONE misinterprets this post as FEAR-MONGERIN  from having a LIFE-SAVING and ENRICHING procedure...like VSG.

Once again...so sorry to read about YOUR FRIEND!

bunnymom
on 12/7/11 2:43 am
So so sorry to hear about your friend. It just does not make any sense, as we all feel that with 85% of our stomachs removed, stomach cancer is the one cancer we will not have to contend with. What a terrible blow. You never know when or where or to whom cancer is going to strike. We are all playing russian roulette. Good luck with your friend.
Bunnymom            
Most Active