VSG and Kidney PAIN???

denebbers
on 12/11/11 11:42 pm - Townsend, MA
VSG on 10/13/11 with
Hey Guys,

Kinda doing a poll here... i've noticed that ever since my surgery i have been getting back pain, right underneath my rib cage. its not muscular pain, but internal. at first i thought it was associated with constipation, but now I'm afraid it may be my kidneys. i have a Dr's appt on wednesday, but since i went to mexico for my surgery, and just recently moved states, i am going to a new dr that may have no clue abt VSG or WLS at all.

in your experience, have you had any issues with kidney or central back pain at all? i only ask bcz i may be totally shooting at the wrong idea, im just really scared that i may be hurting my body w.out knowing- you know with all the changes going on.

on good note, i reached my half way mark today and i am now a proud 29.9 BMI holder. i also reached the "high school" weight milestone :)

Thanks in advance,

Deneb

No More Spanx
on 12/11/11 11:52 pm, edited 12/11/11 11:53 pm - Rock Island, IL

Based on what I have read here it is more common to have gallbladder issues due to the rapid weight loss.  Gallbladder pain presents itself under the right ribcage and can radiate around to the right side of the back.   Of course your doctor will be able to check both the kidneys and gallbladder, but my Las Vegas betting personality would say gallbladder.  I would definitely seek medical advice right away and make sure you make copies of all of your surgery reports from you doctor to have your new physician review and put in your file.

Good luck!!

Ann

PS: OH and if you have a copy of Dr. A's book bring it with you.  I had my PCP read it before I had the surgery so he knew a little more about it.  Saved me explaining time!

HT: 5'3"    HW: 235   Starting  BMI: 41.6     CW: 128  Current     BMI: 22.6                    

denebbers
on 12/12/11 12:04 am - Townsend, MA
VSG on 10/13/11 with
Thanks Ann!

i would love nothing more than to blame it on my gallbladder, but it was taken out a year ago

on a side note, -- that's a great idea, ill bring the book and the printed letter that explains the whole surgery.

Rcool
on 12/12/11 12:14 am
from my surgeons info. sheet... "kidney stones may occur and this is often related to dehydration."
denebbers
on 12/12/11 12:31 am, edited 12/12/11 12:35 am - Townsend, MA
VSG on 10/13/11 with
uh oh. that might of just hit the nail on the head i have been severely lacking on my liquid intake!!

testing pic upload
Jessica285
on 1/23/12 4:32 am - UT
My back starting to hurt is a notice to my brain that I haven't taken in enough fluids... It's difficult and I sip, sip, sip all the time. Try to up your fluid intake and good luck with the new doctor. Although, wherever you are moving, I would find a support group so you can learn if there is a Bariatric Center of Excellence nearby and who the best bariatric doctors are in the area in case you have any complications. Best wishes!!

Highest: 297 lbs/Lowest 127 lbs/Maintaining at 140-145 lbs

RNY Nov 2009/Perforated Ulcers Jan 2010/Revised to modified VSG Dec 2011      

April Clark
on 8/24/12 4:30 am - Miami, OK
I'm a little over 5 years out and I've suffered from this kidney/back pain for some time. I, too, no longer have my gall bladder so that can't be it. Plus, the pain spreads across both sides of my lower back. :( It probably is lack of water for me as well but it's so hard to stay hydrated! I don't have any health insurance any longer so I really am concerned that I'm slowly killing myself. I've not had any medical care for the past 3, nearly 4 years, and it's unnerving what can run through your mind at 3am when you're in pain.
Most Active