Cross Post from VSG Maintenance Board

twobluecats
on 12/14/11 7:36 am
VSG on 12/14/09 with
It's my two year surgery anniversay today....
...and that's incredibly hard to believe.  I love seeing familiar faces, and I'm happy to report that all is quite well with me.  I guess I've just been too busy with life to spend as much time here as I once did, but I admit to missing the fellowship.

We traveled A LOT this year as usual, and it was not without consequence as is always the case when I'm off exploring.  Nothing huge, but I'm about eight pounds up from my very lowest weigh in, and I'm ok with that.  When I settle back down, the weight always seems to find it's way off my body because of the overall good choices I make when not tempted by nonstop decadent goodies from far away places.  My face actually appears better with the gain, but my clothes say otherwise, and I like my clothes and my comfort at about 175-177.

Would I recommend this surgery?  Absolutely.  But, I would highly caution anyone seeking any weight loss surgery to look deep inside and know that after the significant weight loss and subsequent motivation early on, my life is very much like it was before surgery.  If I eat the wrong things, even aside from portions, or with too much frequency, I could EASILY return to a much larger version of myself.  Simple fact, for me anyway.

Do I fear that?  Not really.  I know what choices to make, and I naturally make them when I'm at home.  And, I've even learned to compensate for the eating while away with increased exercise.   In fact, I just returned from a four night cruise and week at Walt Disney World WITHOUT adding any pounds.  It was that darn 10-night cruise in October and crazy post-season baseball travel (my beloved Rangers) that resulted in a gain.  Every day is just part of the evolution and learning process, and I feel confident that I have developed eating habits that will help me manage my weight for the long run.

Another bit of advise I would share with anyone peaking over here on the maintenance board is to please consider everyone in your life when you make this choice.  I may sound harsh when I say this, but I've seen far too many posts and life experiences at work that indicate vanity and a rather self-centered view on the world after surgery.  Bottomline, if you have a family and children before surgery, you can't just simply reset to say, age 18, and live the life of a partying teen without hurting others.  Just my opinion.  

What else?  Nothing I can think of other than I truly appreciate each and every one of you that are still around who made my journey thus far a positive experience.  OH is a tremendous resource, and I cherish the opportunity to learn from others and know that I'm not alone in the ongoing balance of life after surgery.

I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas or whatever holiday you personally celebrate, and I hope we all have a healthy and memorable 2012.

Theresa  

sleevegirl
on 12/14/11 7:41 am - Austin, TX
Thanks for posting this... I needed to read it today!

Congrats, you are rockin' it!

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 8:02 am
 Hello Friend!!

Had my 2 year visit with my doc today.  I weighed exactly the same as I weighed 6 months ago when I saw him last.

That's a good feeling.  It's been a good two years of ups and downs, but that is just how life is.

I'd like to have lost more weight at this stage, but I have to focus on what I HAVE lost and what I have gained in life from this surgery.

I still have been walking 5 days a week.  I injured my left knee September 1 so I cut back from 5 miles a day to 4 miles a day.  Then I had surgery on the knee last Thursday and I am not allowed to walk like that for at least another 2 weeks and when I can resume, I will be limited for awhile longer.

Who woulda thunk 2 years ago pre-surgery that I would miss getting up 5 days a week at 5:30 AM to go walking.

I retired at the end of June and I stil get up then to do my walking.  I can nap during the day if it is needed, but the walking first thing in the day is my best way to start a day.

I got off of my eating plan when my Mother died in November of 2010 and it has been very hard to get back on track.  I really only used her death as an excuse to eat if I'm being honest.  About 5 weeks ago, I found a way of eating that is comfortable for me and I have found that I can not eat the volumes of food that I was able to earlier in the year.

Last Saturday, I ordered a 3 egg omlet with the normal sides (something I could eat easily in the summer) and I was only able to eat about 1/3rd of the omlet and a few bites of the other stuff....the dog enjoyed the left overs.

So 2 years out...I am happy with where I am.  It has been a great journey so far and I anticipate it will continue to be that way.

The secret to this thing is following the instructions...I didn't do so well on my own before the surgery and I am fooling myself if I think I can do it on my own now.  Follow the rules....drink your water and get your protein in....it's easier to keep doing it than it is to start doing it again....Trust, I know....
twobluecats
on 12/14/11 8:13 am
VSG on 12/14/09 with
John, I'm SO happy to hear that you are doing well and in retirement!  Tickles me!

I fully understand the ups and downs and pitfallsof stress eating.  And, my brain still thinks I need way more food than my tummy--I still order and envision plates filled like I used to eat. I'm not  sure that will ever go away for me.  It is what it is.

It's great that your weight loss allows for all those extra steps-something those pounds did not permit!

And, I totally agree that it's better to just keep up the new lifestyle than to get back on the wagon. Again, just part of life.

I wish you nothing but tremendous joy and success as you enjoy your deserved "golden years."

Theresa

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 8:22 am
To you as well, Theresa!!!

I don't know about you, but I spent a whole lot more than 2 years training my brain that eating everything in sight was the way to go.....I've got this little voice in my head (LeRoy) that keeps telling me it is ok to eat whatever and however much I want to eat....I mostly ignore him and he gets quieter over time and then suddenly he is back YELLING in my ear again.

There is SO much more that I can do now...I wouldn't  want to be the person that I was 2 years ago.  And it is more than what I weighed...

I sill love the day that I got my VSG....it has been worth every step.  I would do it again in a heart beat....If I could afford it or if Medicare would cover it, I would have plastics done on the old tummy, but that ain't gonna happen so I'll celebrate that roll as being what I earned from all of those years of guiltess eating....I earned that damned roll fair and square!

Best of luck as we go forward...we both deserve the best that life has to offer and I am claiming my seat at the table!

Pkrplyr777
on 12/14/11 9:52 am - CT
Wow! I thank you both for your posts.
It's great to hear you both talk about your day to day stuff, 2 years out.

It helps.
Thanks again,
Donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
vocalcoach
on 12/14/11 10:17 am - MD
Thanks so much for posting!!  So many posts are from folks who have just had or are in the pre-surgery process...It's great to hear folks who are at goal or close to it but are maintaining healthy decisions and exercising...Exercise in my opinion is absolutely the key to long term success with this surgery!!

Maria

Most Active