Disgusting Tongue

Texasteacher68
on 12/29/11 3:03 am - TX
 I'm 10 days post-op and my tongue is DISGUSTING! It started out with a mustard color and now has some black spots over the mustard color. It looks like a science experiment. Plus, my breath is horrible. Help!
Mutha24Boyz
on 12/29/11 3:23 am - NY
You are dehydrated. Drink more fluids and brush your tongue.

I am 29 years old. 5' tall HW 247 SW 241 Pre-Op 226 Tentative Goal 130
www.theinkdiva.blogspot.com
MargeAD
on 12/29/11 3:46 am - CA
 Also, mix a solution of half mouth wash and half hydrogen peroxide.  Swish that in your mouth then spit it out (do NOT swallow)  Rinse with water.  It should help.

Jittabug
on 12/29/11 5:38 am
Google black tongue u may have to get antibiotics as well. There are pics when u google it. Good luck.
roseselene
on 12/29/11 6:01 am
I had a very disgusting mouth after surgery.  I couldn't seem to get past the dry mouth and strange cottony tongue feeling.  However, I didn't have any discoloration.  You may want to check with your doctor about that.
Amy
CW: 255 SW: 234 

Texasteacher68
on 12/29/11 7:59 am - TX
 Thanks everyone! I see my surgeon next week and will definitely check with him. 
Nancy B.
on 12/29/11 8:08 am - Bridge City, TX
VSG on 08/27/11 with
My husband and I both had this after surgery. No black spots, but mine was kinda brown and it seemed like my taste buds were "longer" than they should have been. It was nasty!  I was even googling "hairy tongue" because I thought that's what it was. 

I think, though, that I finally determined that it may have had to do with the fact that we were on liquid diets, and hadn't eaten anything solid that would help "exfoliate" our tongues.  Or, it could have to do with being in ketosis.  At any rate, it didn't last, and finally went away on it's own.  I say mention it to your doc, but don't worry about it too much in the meantime.
-Nancy 

HW 238    Starting Weight 227   Surgery Weight 212   CW 155
Height 5'5"            Lost 9 lbs. pre-op, and another 6 lbs. on the liquid diet.
Texasteacher68
on 12/29/11 8:14 am - TX
 Thanks Nancy...that makes me feel better! It's just so gross!
Most Active