Having rough time, need help

Softballgal73
on 1/11/12 12:14 am
I'm not sure what to do. I went to my diet class yesterday and started on soft proteins. I had diarrhea a lot during my liquid phase depending on what broth I tried.  On the way to my dr. appt yesterday, my protein shake caused me to have bad diarrhea. Then my first cheesestick...same result. Tuna with a little mayo.....same thing, Cottage cheese same thing. It all happens within 30-45 minutes after eating.  Is this normal? Because it sure is hard to be in a classroom with kids and have this continue.
Thanks in advance
Softballgal73
on 1/11/12 12:15 am
Fyi......I ate one food per meal as directed. Just trying to figure out what will work for me??
(deactivated member)
on 1/11/12 12:23 am

Have you had surgery yet?  Why are you on a liquid diet?  Truth is liquids in liquids out.  Can't expect anything else.  The thing that helped me during the liquid stage was custard, homemade with eggs and milk.  Gave the body some substance to work on.  Saved my life.  This was Dr. approved and I did it after surgery.

Recipe:  Homemade Egg Custard:

2 eggs
2 cusps of milk
1/3 cup of Splenda or sugar  (I use Splenda)
1 teasp of vanilla
pinch of salt

Mix in blender, pour into 4 custard cups, sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon, place custard cups in pan, pour ho****er around custard cups and bake at 350 for 30 min or more until knife comes out clean.

Good luck
Softballgal73
on 1/11/12 12:37 am
I am 2 weeks out of surgery. Liquid was post op. Sorry.....I know that is important info I left out. Need to take time to get on and update my profile. The only approved items on my list: Cheeses, eggs, tuna salad, chicken salad, refried beans. Thats it. Period. Our Nutritionalist stressed sticking to the list. I know....seems overwhelming. I was so excited to get to eat, now this.
hollykim
on 1/11/12 1:41 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 11, 2012 at 8:23 AM Pacific Time, AliceS wrote:

Have you had surgery yet?  Why are you on a liquid diet?  Truth is liquids in liquids out.  Can't expect anything else.  The thing that helped me during the liquid stage was custard, homemade with eggs and milk.  Gave the body some substance to work on.  Saved my life.  This was Dr. approved and I did it after surgery.

Recipe:  Homemade Egg Custard:

2 eggs
2 cusps of milk
1/3 cup of Splenda or sugar  (I use Splenda)
1 teasp of vanilla
pinch of salt

Mix in blender, pour into 4 custard cups, sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon, place custard cups in pan, pour ho****er around custard cups and bake at 350 for 30 min or more until knife comes out clean.

Good luck
Unfortunately, you are giving incorrect information here. Liquids in  do not mean liquids out. Diarrhea is caused by a disease or illness  process. The body filters many body waste products thru the GI tract besides food waste. This collection will make some sort of formed stool and while it may be smaller in amount/size it will not be diarrhea.

I thought you would want to know so you would not be giving out false information to someone who might have a serious issue going on causing their diarrhea.

MeganP
on 1/11/12 12:45 am
 It's possible you've become lactose intolerant. You could try taking some lactase before you eat and try soy milk in your shakes.

SassyItalian
on 1/11/12 1:03 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
I second another poster, it may be new lactose intolerance. See if it happens with things that arent milk based.

Try soy based protein shakes, maybe ditch the cheese for now. Things that say 'whey' or 'casein' also are milk based so maybe try to avoid them?

If its every single thing then let your doc know and maybe stock up on immodium until the body adjusts?

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Softballgal73
on 1/11/12 1:27 am
I would agree.....but it happened with Chicken broth and tuna??
hollykim
on 1/11/12 1:36 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
You might have C-difficile. Ask your surgeon to check a stool specimen and be sure and ask them the guideline for collecting the specimen and how much time you have to get it there,etc.

Unless you have become lactose intolerant and cheese and  cottage cheese usually don't have any lactose in them,it is removed during their manufactur process,you should not be having diarrhea post op. This is not normal.

In spite of popular belief "liquids in means liquids out" is just plain wrong. Being on a liquid diet does not cause diarrhea. The body filters all kinds of "waste" thru the GI tract besides just waste food. Your stools may be smaller on a liquid diet but they won't be diarrhea. Diarrhea is a disease process,period.

GL and keep me posted.

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/12 1:40 am - Wyoming, MI
I'm sorry, I don't have any advice for you, but I can tell you that I had basically the same experience, it didn't matter what I ate, it all just shot back out (sorry).  And then it went away.  My doc just told me its a common issue and as much as it sucks, it's just something you have to deal with.  The poster above that said "liquids in, liquids out" was totally right. It's just a process, and you'll be back to normal in no time.  Just keep your chin up, and know that it gets better.  And maybe try an anti-diarrheal like loperamide (immodium).  But don't take too much because I promise, you don't want to bind yourself up.  That sucks WAY worse. 
Have a good day!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views