What can I dip in Fondue Cheese on soft diet

buttercupnectar
on 1/15/12 5:59 am
Just finished watching Giada on cooking show so I am making a cheese fondue tonight.  Gonna use some cauliflower raw.  I will have to chew chew chew as I am on the soft food stage.  Anyone have any ideas what I can dip in the cheese that would be soft or easy to chew.  My doc said no broccoli but I was thinking the cauliflower if I really chew it and an apple.

jessicae
on 1/15/12 6:06 am
 cauliflower can cause lots of gas, just be prepared!  my doc still does not want me on raw veggies yet... not sure why.  cheese fondue sounds great!

Jessica              Surgery Date 9/29/11 Dr. Ian Soriano Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA          HW: 287 / Pre-Op: 280 / SW: 263.4 / CW: 161.6 GW: 145

Ms. Poker Face
on 1/15/12 6:07 am
My doc had me hold off from the raw fruits/veggies for awhile.   If anything, you may want to cook them first.  Bread and chips aren't good ideas either.  Fondue is tough to find a good companion food for early out.

Good luck!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

sleevegirl
on 1/15/12 6:11 am, edited 1/15/12 6:11 am - Austin, TX
You are 4 weeks out. DO NOT try to eat raw cauliflower or apple. No. Not a good idea. Your stomach is entirely too new and raw for you to be putting something in there that it has to work that hard to digest.

Seriously, this is not a grand idea.

In fact, I'm not all that sure that fondue cheese is all that great of an idea right now either. I mean, it's your body and all, but definitely avoid the raw veggies. At 4 weeks, I was just moving on to soft foods... be careful.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Jamie_45
on 1/15/12 6:16 am - CA
VSG on 01/09/12
How about you take a small bit of the fondue and mix it with some canned chicken and unflavored protein powder.  Then you get your great cheese fondue the healthy VSG way!  Good luck.

frisco
on 1/15/12 6:17 am

A spoon....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Louise1970
on 1/15/12 6:25 am - new haven, CT
 Fondue cheese just doesn't sound like a great choice diet wise....and raw veg? i wouldn't go there, I have heard bad things! I am 5 weeks out and my doc has me on fish and chicken at this point, I have been eating it no problem, but everyones doctor is different I guess. unless it's cottage cheese or light string cheese I avoid cheese as a protein as it's a really high fat option.

HW:367(5/11)  SW:291(12/11) GW:160     
Month 1: -31 lbs. 

califsleevin
on 1/15/12 6:48 am - CA
I would agree that most of the things suitable for fondue dipping are on the firm side to be classed as soft food. The chicken and or tuna, if those are considered soft food by your doc's plan (it was on my plan) with some of the cheese poured on top (kind of a swiss alfredo!) would probably be the most workable. Maybe some of the veg (like carrots maybe) if it was well steamed to soft may be workable as well.

Another thing to consider - my doc's plan is one of the more liberal when it comes to progression, but their general advice was to try one new food at a time to see how you tolerate it - if you do, fine but if you don't then try again in a couple of weeks. If you try multiple new things and have a problem, then you don't know which one (or ones) was the problem. So try to stick to things that you have already tried and verified work for you and then add something new (like the fondue) to it.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

julesGA
on 1/15/12 6:50 am - Brunswick, GA
 I have to agree with everyone else on the raw veggies. It is way too soon. I'd also be worried about over-eating on the fondue cheese..I bet it will be a slider,   If you have to eat the cheese, a spoon is the only I'd dip, as Frisco said. 

ruggie
on 1/15/12 7:15 am - Sacramento, CA
 I also agree that cheese fondue is probably a poor diet choice. It's just way too calorie dense and doesn't have much protein. This is the kind of food that is best left behind to your pre-op life. What's worse is that it's and liquidy, and will probably slide out of your stomach as a slider food. I'm sure that cheese fondue is not on your surgeon's or nutrionist's approved soft foods list. You've got to keep the protein up. 

Not only would I suggest to not eat this, I'll also suggest that you stop watching those cooking shows.  It's just a way to torture yourself with food you can't have. 

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 41 views