What if we are fat because of the wheat?

StrawWalker
on 1/22/12 10:18 pm
There was a time when I was my heaviest that I ate only 500 calories per day. I never lost an ounce. Once I had surgery, where my calories per day is roughly 500 per day, I lost weight. Asking myself the very important question...What is the difference?, I have finally came up with the answer. Wheat. I was also chronically anemic. I had to take three iron pills per day just to maintain below range levels of iron in my blood with ferritin tanked as well. Now my iron has come up to normal since surgery.

Since surgery, I have completely cut out wheat in my attempts to go low carb. There is no other food that I have restricted as I try to have as diverse diet as possible.

So, as I am very empirical minded, I reintroduced wheat and guess what? My knees are swelling and weight loss completely stopped.

Coincidence? I think not. Just wonder how many others this story may apply to? Please tell if so. Also, a great book that I am reading which offers explanation is called wheat belly.

Take care
StrawWalker

Start 290, Current 180, Goal 150
bunnymom
on 1/22/12 10:27 pm, edited 1/22/12 10:29 pm
I also read  the book by Dr. William Davis called "Wheat Belly." He lays it all out for you. It is a real game-changer. At 11 months out, I had really slowed down, even stalled, but once I took the occas croutons and occas taco shell and battered pieces of fried chicken out of my diet, my weight loss has been every day now.  I am also really into reversing any plaque I may have built up in my arteries.  He is an interventional cardiologist and this is his life's work.  You might like his blog.  Here is the link:  http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog/
Bunnymom            
TheBiscuit
on 1/22/12 10:53 pm - TX
 There's a good chance that this is true for a lot of folks. I however, do not notice any difference in my loss when wheat is present. I know my obesity stemmed from too much soda and zero exercise, nothin' else to it. 
smbergie200
on 1/22/12 11:00 pm - Naples, FL
I think some are more sensitive to wheat than others. I only eat sprouted grain bread from the health food store. It is more of a carb thing for most people. I mean look at a "healthy" subway sub for example. Its like 99 percent bread with a few slices of "meat". Waaaay too many carbs even if you pick their wheat version. But I do agree - wheat is not the healthfood it is advertised to be. Its a better choice than white but definately not a healthfood.

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

acbbrown
on 1/23/12 12:01 am - Granada Hills, CA
I wish my problem was that simple - I got fat from pizza, fast food, and pure sugar.

Prior to surgery when I was losing weight, I ate plenty of wheat and saw no impact on my weight loss. I do think that it varies by the individual though, so there's no "one size fit all" diet plan or approach, so if you can see that wheat affects you, cut it out :)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Ms Shell
on 1/23/12 1:00 am - Hawthorne, CA
I firmly believe that MANY of today's problems can be traced back to the foods we intake, wheat being just one of them.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

jengo1971
on 1/23/12 2:23 am, edited 1/23/12 2:35 am
Grains in general are NOT the great food we are led to believe by many dietitians/nutritionists.   Check out this blog to find out some great info (www.wellnessmama.com).
~Jennifer

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
jengo1971
on 1/23/12 2:33 am
2hip
on 1/23/12 9:48 am
VSG on 11/22/11 with
I believe you are absolutely right, and I think we can't limit it to just wheat, it would be all grains -- wheat, rice, corn. The typical nutritional pyramid we have been told to obey for the last 40 years is also basically the USDA's recommended diet to fatten up hogs. A good read on this that I am just getting into now is "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers 
Pre-op Month: -26lbs  Month 1: -14lbs  Month 2: -9lbs  Month 3: -8lbs
StrawWalker
on 1/23/12 12:04 pm
Thank you all for all of your responses. I will be checking out all the suggestions as well.

I really think it is food for thought.
Take care
StrawWalker

Start 290, Current 180, Goal 150
Most Active