Sleeve surgery out...back surgery instead?

KSqtpie
on 2/12/12 10:00 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Well, here's the latest news....It's night #4 of being in the hospital after falling down my stairs. The new MRI that was done today indicates I have several herniated discs, not just swollen like it was thought before. I still have complete numbness in my left leg...it has a very deep burning ache constantly, even with the double dose of vicadin and anti inflammatory drugs. I think they are putting me back on the morphine drip tonight because after trying to walk the halls with the PT, I am in so much pain. The doctor scheduled me for pain therapy tomorrow morning. So I will be getting injections in my back to help with inflammation. But ultimately, if that doesn't help the doctor said we will have to talk about having back surgery. And he suggests contacting my bariatric surgeon to delay the sleeve surgery until I am fully recovered. He said my body needs all its energy to focus on healing my back and that I would be putting to much stress on my body doing both surgeries at once. Also, the sleeve surgery requires that I be active and able to walk...well, I just can't do that right now. This is such a mess, but I am trying to stay positive. I am just glad I didn't fall down the stairs after I had my sleeve surgery, that would have been horrible! Thanks for the support, just thought I would give an update.
onemoretry
on 2/12/12 10:05 am - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
Thanks for the update. I hope the pain gets better for you soon. I know how disappointed you must be about not getting the sleeve right now, but you are right, you need to heal first. Keeps us posted on how things are going. Praying that things get better without you having to have back surgery.
HT: 5'4"      HW: 251  SW: 237  CW: 172 GW: 135 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
"You can control how much water you drink, how much protein/carbs/cals you consume, and how much you exercise. FOCUS on those and not the scale, because no matter how hard we try, we do not control the scale." ~  acbbrown

KSqtpie
on 2/12/12 10:09 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Thank you for your support. I guess one positive thing is that after feeling this kind of pain, I know I can get through anything!! I am bummed because I was supposed to start my liquid diet tomorrow and obese actually ready for it. Protein shakes and clear liquids are much better than this hospital food, that's for sure
Kimberly145
on 2/12/12 10:16 am
Dang, that is the pitts. Sending out good vibes to you and wishing you everything that you need for your best outcome.
KSqtpie
on 2/15/12 3:04 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Thank you! It's definitely been a rough week. I appreciate the support.
lucy2e
on 2/12/12 10:23 am - Laurel, MD
So sorry you are going through all this pain!  very gentle (((hugs))) - hope that didn't hurt!  Don't stress about the VSG, it will happen, just focus on healing that back.

I will keep you in my prayers! 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

KSqtpie
on 2/15/12 3:06 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Haha...I don't even remember posting this. I guess I really was out of it and in a lot of pain. I do appreciate the support this site gives. I am really sad I had to postpone my sleeve surgery, but I know the timing is just not right. I will continue to focus on getting better so that when I do have my sleeve surgery, I will be healthy. Thanks again!
happyteacher
on 2/12/12 10:27 am
 Oh darling, that's rough.  I will pray for speedy healing for you.  Take good care of yourself.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

KSqtpie
on 2/15/12 3:11 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Thanks for the prayers. It's going to be a long road. I'm just so blessed to have such awesome support. I am staying positive and reading this board every day. I don't want to lose site of my goal just because of this obstacle being thrown in my way.
moonglo82
on 2/12/12 10:30 am
VSG on 03/29/12
I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time! I hope you recover quickly!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views