Two years post-op and I've lost my son!

Paul5678
on 2/15/12 4:59 am - United Kingdom

Two years post-op, down 126 pounds from my highest weight. This is about the same weight as my son in this picture...... Frightening.

Off insulin for 18 months. Was on 480 units a day at one point. Now on Sitagliptin and Metformin plus one low dose tablet for blood pressure and another for lipids. The only supplement I take is a multivitamin and mineral tablet once a day. Bloods are normal. Sleep Apnoea gone, I'm officially cured.

Stable weight for the last six months. I wake up feeling fat, believing that the weight loss is too good to be true. I find myself buying clothes that are slightly too big, just in case. It's very difficult buying an XL or more usually an L when a 5XL used to be tight. You can see the shirt and suit are too big in the picture.

I still have good restriction and have turned into a grazer rather than a trencherman. The only vegetables I can eat are peas and sweetcorn cooked, and raw carrot. Carbohydrates of any type are my enemy, if I eat any I need to eat more. The only way to control the urge is to eat no carbohydrate except for Ryvitas with cheese. Most fruit will make me vomit. LOL

Two downsides. I mourne not being able to eat vast quantities of food, I used to put way too much on my plate. Sunday lunch comes for me on a side-plate now, and sometimes that's too much! I'm also cold almost all the time. I'll wear two windproof fleeces and thermal underwear for three seasons of the year, occasionally wearing a sweat shirt over a t-shirt in the summer.

Would I do it again? Before the op I had a young son, a worried wife and maybe five years to live - tops. Life expectancy is now normal. I can walk with my family and they find it hard to keep up with me, my body is a joy and not a prison. This year Alex has asked me to take him fishing, whic will be easy and a great joy. I'd do it again tomorrow, and yesterday, and today! I wish I could have had the operation twenty years ago.
AmberK
on 2/15/12 5:07 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 congratulations and thanks for an inspiring story! 
frannypance
on 2/15/12 5:17 am
Thanks for your story.  It is great to hear such success stories.  I am only a little over 1/2 way to goal but I feel so much better.  I also am having a hard time giving up the larger clothes just in case.  But oonce I lose 10 lbs.  I go through my closet and toss.  It feels so good.  I don't want to ever be 253 again or over 200.  I am hoping for continued  success in your weight loss journey.  Congrats!

Paul5678
on 2/16/12 5:17 am - United Kingdom
We're all on this rollercoaster together, such fun!  I have finally thrown out everything over 2XL and will throw out all of those once I'm consistently an L.  New year and a new start!  Thanks.
Paul5678
on 2/16/12 5:14 am - United Kingdom
theshrinkingmimi
on 2/15/12 5:14 am
Wow. Congrats.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Paul5678
on 2/16/12 5:18 am - United Kingdom
trayb17
on 2/15/12 5:19 am
VSG on 01/05/12
Amazing and I am so happy for you!! Congratulations
Paul5678
on 2/16/12 5:19 am - United Kingdom
2muchgirl4u ~
on 2/15/12 5:41 am