3 Years Out ~ Any Questions for Me?

Marci C.
on 2/22/12 11:20 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
I haven't been on this site in ages and decided as I approach my 3 year post op surgiversary I would check it out!  I'm doing great.  My weight has come up about 6 lbs. but I am so grateful and happy with my decision to have this done I can't explain it!  Would love to help anyone with questions!  Contact me!
Marci
I'm 5'5"  Today's Weight 135!

MyOwnSunshine
on 2/22/12 11:31 pm
Hi there and congratulations on your continued success!

What is your calorie range for maintenance?  Do you exercise and if so, how much, what kind, etc?

Any tips or tricks for getting the last 25 pounds off and then transitioning to maintenance?

" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
Marci C.
on 2/22/12 11:40 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
It's tough but I try to stay under 1300-1400 calories to maintain.  I admit I do not exercise as regularly as I should.  I go in spurts and usually that exercise is my treadmill (brisk walking) 3-4 times a week.  I do a desk job and I think that and my lack of movement is why I'm gaining a touch of it back. 

I reached my goal in 12 months.  Stayed put with very little effort until the last 6 months.  Now I'm really keeping an eye on it.  Still wearing the same size clothes, just seeing them not be quite as comfortable as they were originally so now trying not to sit at my desk all day and beginning a food journal again.  A lot of very cool Smart phone apps for this out there. 

The last 25 lbs. will come just keep doing what you're told!  I was so happy when I reached 150 lbs. that I really didn't care if I lost more.  I went down to 132 without trying.  Yes, the weighloss slows but it still came off!

Biggest struggles now (still) are fluids (still hate drinking water), and doing my vitamin/protein regimen.  Same problems I had at the beginning.  I now have yearly check ups at the surgeons office and they're very happy with where I'm at, so am I!  Have never felt better!
Marci

PrettyEyes_41
on 2/22/12 11:38 pm - MS
VSG on 06/12/12
I think we're close in size and weight. My heavy weight was 236 and I'm 5'5" too. I have been able to lose down to about 222 now through my 6 month mandated insurance diet but it's hard as hades. Can't wait to get a date for my sleeve and wonder how long it took you from first appt to sleeve? I get all my preliminaries done Tuesday, endoscopy, ekg, chest x-ray, labs, etc. My last appt for my diet is March 7th and then we'll apply to insurance. Dr. office said I should have a reply within 48-72 hrs with the BC/BS of IL that I have. Hoping to be sleeved by end of March or early April. My goal is also 140, how long did it take you to reach goal?

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

Marci C.
on 2/22/12 11:53 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
Yes, the pre-diet was the hardest part of the whole thing!  I began my journey in October and had my surgery in March, so yes, patience is needed but it's so worth it!  Do what you are told, even 3 years out I struggle (see my above post).  Struggling with the same things I struggled with right after surgery.  I do use a straw on occasion (one thing I was told to avoid).  I am proud to say I have not had a carbonated beverage in over 3 years and no eating and drinking at the same time!  I reached my goal of 140 in 12 months.  Went down to 132 but have come back up to the 140 mark now. 

I hear horror stories of regain so it's always in the forefront of my mind when I see the scale bump up!!!!

Good luck to you!
Marci

(deactivated member)
on 2/23/12 12:29 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 05/04/12 with
Can you talk about your first few months with a desk job and a sleeve? I have a desk job too but there times become extremely chaotic and exercise suffers. How did you handle food around your coworkers?
Marci C.
on 2/23/12 12:34 am - Kalamazoo, MI
I work in healthcare so I was very open with my coworkers about my surgery and process.  They were all very supportive.  While I was off work (I took 6 weeks) I learned how to eat at work and what I could pack.  I mostly eat at my desk (still).  Packing high protein meals.  String cheese, cottage cheeses are all nice options.  Since we eat such small amounts, I eat 4-5 times a day instead of strictly 3.  You have no choice but to eat smaller portions even when you do eat what they are eating, A bite or two and I am finished.  It's really been great.  Keeping nuts, apple or banana to snack on is also a nice easy option.  Also, taking the stairs and no elevator since we are desk jockey's is a good idea!
Marci

J.e.t.
on 2/23/12 12:33 am
 Congrats!  What is your restriction like?  That's the thing that the naysayers (mostly DS'ers) say about the sleeve--that your restriction goes away and without malabsorption you gain the weight back.  
HW 263, 3lbs lost prior to surgery,  weight loss ticker is since surgery.

Marci C.
on 2/23/12 12:37 am - Kalamazoo, MI
I can eat more now than obviously just out of surgery, but it's still such small portions!  Seriously, I can never even finish a half sandwich.  I was gifted with what my surgeon calls a "nice tight sleeve" and I think that has helped with my restriction still being quite high or small.  I would estimate 3/4 cup? 
Marci

J.e.t.
on 2/23/12 12:57 am
 It's always reassuring to hear stories like yours!  My surgeon makes a "nice tight sleeve" too, so hopefully I'll have a similar experience.  Thanks so much for coming back to answer questions, it's so helpful!
HW 263, 3lbs lost prior to surgery,  weight loss ticker is since surgery.

Most Active