a year out and sorta failed?

stephf
on 3/6/12 8:02 am - CA
VSG on 03/29/11 with
ill be a year out march 29th and i weight 148 and not my goal weight of 135, how many others are like me? have you all reached your goal or stuck? maybe its just the saggy weight that needs to go but my surgeons suggests i wait a total of 18 mos out from surgery day.

he expected me to lose another ten pound before i see him again in may, you think I will? I haven't lost any weight since january I feel like I have failed.

HW 288  PRE OP WEIGHT  249/ SW241/ CW 146.8     

happyteacher
on 3/6/12 8:12 am
 OMG you have lost over a hundred pounds and are right on top of your goal weight!  Don't see how that is a fail at all!  There is a lady at support group who had plastics done recently and that amounted to 16 pounds (or 12- cant' remember which it was).  Thus, you could be at goal as far as how much fat you neefded to lose.  More importantly is how you feel at this point.  Are you more active, less afraid to walk the long walk across a parking lot or go swimming or hiking or or or all of the endless possibilities with your new lighter you!   You got this- just keep at it!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Chana
on 3/6/12 8:13 am
I think at times like this it's important to have a little perspective.  Look at how far you've come from your high and  presurgery weights!  You're an allstar!  Don't you feel worlds better?  Isn't your health much improved?  Don't you feel happier about your appearance?  I know the last 10 lbs. can be frustrating, but wow look at you! 

If you really want to get the last 10 off over the next couple of months, I suppose the only path is to re-examine what you eat and how much you exercise.  I don't know if it would appeal to you, but I found wearing a pedometer helpful in giving me that little push everyday to be more active, on top of my regular gym/running time.  I work a sedentary job, so seeing only 3,000 steps at the end of the day was horrifying enough to get me off the sofa and out the door for a long long walk, even on the days when I didn't have a workout scheduled.
stephf
on 3/6/12 8:14 am - CA
VSG on 03/29/11 with
* sigh I jsut now seen I was 146 the last time i logged in here and I have gone up to 148 and been stuck there ugh not what i wanted to see

HW 288  PRE OP WEIGHT  249/ SW241/ CW 146.8     

Sally D.
on 3/6/12 8:19 am
VSG on 03/14/12
SORRY BUT I DREAM OF THE DAY THAT I COUDL WEIGHT 148 AND IF I WAS ONLY 10 POUNDS AWAY AND HADN'T GAINED  WEIGHT IN THREE MONTHS I WOULD BE CELABRATING EVERYDAY.... PLEASE BE PROUD OF YOURSELF AND CHANGE YOUR SMILE TO A HAPPY FACE... AND LOOK AT IT AS IM TEN LITTLE POUNDS AWAY FROM AN AMAZING GOAL
(deactivated member)
on 3/6/12 8:15 am
 Over a hundred pounds is hardly a failure.  If you've browsed this board I'm sure you have seen lots of posts saying go back to basics - count calories, get in your protein, drink lots of water, and exercise.

All of that is certainly worth a try if you are unhappy with your current weight.  It is possible however that your body is quite lean and that at least some of the extra weight is skin.

I'm 5'6 set my goal for 150 on my ticker because the lowest I've ever been at my adult weight is 160.  I would love to be 135, at least in theory, but to maintain at 150 would still be awesome.
Mom4Jazz
on 3/6/12 8:17 am
You have NOT failed! You've lost over 100 lbs.

If you (not your doctor, YOU) really want to lose the last 13 pounds, I have a few suggestions: up your liquids (shoot for 100 oz a day) and protein (shoot for 90 grams a day). Tighten up on carbs, especially simple carbs, and calories.

But remember - it's your body and your health. The most important thing is your health and how you feel about yourself. Can you be a little gentler with yourself as you work through whether you want to go at this hard or be comfortable where you are?

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

AzureAurora
on 3/6/12 8:30 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
 OMG!!! Soooo not a fail. The scale is just a number. You lost 100 lbs 
I would be exstatic. 

Highest 310 Start W 299 Surgery W 279 Current Weight 166.5 lbs      

jengo1971
on 3/6/12 9:09 am

First, you have NOT failed.  Now with that being said...I'm in the same boat so to speak.  I had surgery Dec 2010 and haven't lost anything since October 2011.  Started at 233 (pre-op) and now am 138.  I'm only 5'1" (barely) so still considered overweight.  I work out a ton and still...nothing.  Hang in there, be proud, and realize you are not alone. 

Hugs......Jennifer

BTW, if you want check on my post from a couple day ago on the vsg maintenance board.  I got many good responses.

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
sunnymicki
on 3/6/12 9:38 am
Ditto to what everyone else said.  I don't think the black and white thinking, and subsequent beating yourself up is going to help your weight control efforts in the long run.  Give yourself a little credit for how far you've come!

I do think you should go get your body composition tested, either in a Bod Pod or with a DEXA scan.  Then you will have a better idea of where you are.  I did this and found out that although my goal weight will show me as overweight on the BMI charts, I will actually be pretty lean at that weight (assuming I don't lose any lean mass as I lose weight).

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

Most Active