I can't stand the taste of water now!

amyc
on 3/7/12 1:16 am - Jacksboro, TN
Revision on 02/28/12
I'm one week post op.   I had a revision from band to sleeve.

Water has been my favorite drink for 13 years now.    Now I can't stand it....it just tastes terrible!

I've tried it cold or room temp, but it doesn't make a difference.   It almost tastes metallic now.

I've been adding crystal light and it tastes just fine.  

Weird..............

Any one else have this happen?  

Did you ever get your taste back for water?

Thanks,
Amy

TheBiscuit
on 3/7/12 1:30 am - TX
 Yes, I noticed a preference for different types of water. Before surgery it didn't matter to me, now the only water I can drink plain is Nestle Pure Life. Something about the minerals they add that makes it taste different than Ozarka, Deja Blue, etc. You'll need to play around with some brands until you find one you like!
VSG: 10-13-2011
SW: 287
CW: 178

MizzEvil
on 3/7/12 1:41 am, edited 3/7/12 1:41 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 03/16/12
Tons of threads on this in the last few days:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4509258/Water-question /

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4508923/Ho****er/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4509065/FYI-I-still-ha ve-issues-with-plain-water-10-months-out/

These are just a few. Someone mentioned that they were told that the Ph balance is something that throws WLS patients off. Added lemon, a bit of crystal light, Mio, etc changes the Ph which makes it easier to drink.
UnRuli
on 3/7/12 1:47 am - Plainwell, MI
 Same here.  I always loved water, but now at over 18 months out I can only drink it with something mixed in.  Even then, my palette is picky.  I can't stand most beverages because they taste like chemical (Life Water is one of the worst ones to me and I used to LOVE it!).  I was using watered down Poweraid Zero but now I use Mio because I can control the amount of flavor (I don't like it real strong).
RHCP
on 3/7/12 1:47 am - Poughkeepsie, NY
I am one year out and I still can not drink plain water. Tastes better than first after surgery but I def can not drink large amounts.

The ONLY thing I can tolorate and drink is Crystal Light Decaf Ice Tea.

Sara R.
on 3/7/12 1:49 am

This has also happened to me, but not until i was about 6 weeks post op. I can still tolerate bottled water but think its a waste of money and bad for the environment to buy bottled water so i have been adding flavors into my tap water. I hope that i get my taste back. i blame it on all the cheese and Ketosis in the weight loss phase. What if you brush your teeth or use a tic tac after you eat? maybe that will help you enjoy the water a little bit before the ketosis breath sets back in

AngieB2011
on 3/7/12 2:15 am, edited 3/7/12 2:15 am - MD
VSG on 03/19/12
I went to a pre-op workshop yesterday and the NUT brought this up.  She suggested adding a slice of cucumber to the water.
ND2BTHN
on 3/7/12 6:54 am - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 I am exactly the same. I hated flavoured water before surgery, now I can't drink it any other way. Totally weird. I hope I, get my taste back. Crystal light gets old fast.

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
RyanJS
on 3/7/12 6:59 am - CA
VSG on 02/21/12 with
I hated water first week post-op. After the swelling went down and now being in my 2-3 week I love it again. It tasted weird to me as well my first week. Try the Low-Calorie G2. It is very easy to go down and will get you some energy.

Heaviest Weight: 330 Goal Weight: 175 Current Weight: 150
"Hit Goal in 3 1/2 Months!!!"
"Nothing is impossible. The word itself says I'M POSSIBLE!!!"
"No one said it was going to be easy, but it will definitely be worth it"

kwiegs3856
on 3/7/12 11:48 am - PA
VSG on 01/05/12
  Wow, I thought it was me cause I use to drink tons of water and now it taste metalic to me too! 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 31 views