Found out why my metabolism is slow...among other things

amidwife4u
on 3/14/12 4:40 pm, edited 3/14/12 4:43 pm
So I had a 5 month follow up with my Doc.  He did TONS of blood tests.  Everything looked great.  B12 level fabulous, lipids great, CBC, great, Liver and kidneys fabulous, Vitamin D level FINALLY normal.........and then........he says.......You have Vitamin B1 (thiamine) deficiency.  Officially diagnosed with 'dry beriberi'.   I actually think I have had this since before my surgery, but that it worsened after the surgery.  I have been having nystigmas (eyes shaking side to side at random times). Muscle weakness, fatigue, difficulty sleeping, constipation, slow metabolism.....and even with my high protein low carb diet, my blood sugar is borderline!!!   Come to find out, B1 is necessary for metabolism, sugar metabolism, muscles, peristalsis of the bowel, ....and so much more.  I have recently been getting numbness or tingling in fingers and legs.....Doc says it is from BeriBeri.   Thinks that all my symptoms will resolve completely with supplementation which I will start tomorrow.  Have to do another blood draw in a month to see if pills are working....If not, I will have IV supplementation monthly...or however often it takes to keep my levels up.  Doc says I was at higher risk due to my diagnosis of Celiac sprue and that the surgery with the low calorie diet made it worse.  

The good news.....he thinks once my levels are normal that I will start losing weight a little faster.  He was pleased with my progress however.   He says I am 2 lbs over my lowest weight ever at the office (I was a yo yo all my adult life) and that my waist measurement is only 1 inch larger than my smallest measurement!  He was thrilled.  He then calculated my BMI and said...very cheerily.....You are overyweight!  His tone of voice caught me funny....and I looked at him a little odd I guess.....and then he congratulated me that I am no longer Obese....I am overweight!    He wants me to target a BMI of 22 to 24....and says we will just see when we get there. 

So, I am excited to have an answer for my fatigue, carb cravings, slow metabolism, vision changes, nerve issues, etc. etc. and am hoping for a full recovery.  

Lesson here.....check the B1 vitamin level....deficiency is not common, but WLS puts us all at higher risk because we are eating such high protein that we are not getting much of the foods that have thiamine supplementation in them (ie: cereal, bread, etc).

Here's hoping I get some more energy and mental clarity back soon and the weight will come off a little faster too. (although I am pleased with my progress so far...can't complain)

HW 232 SW 218  WT when leaving hospital 219.5
Pooch2
on 3/14/12 4:58 pm
Yup, I was looking at this today myself.  I haven't been checked for thiamine deficiencies but I found out today thatthey match some of my issues and that like B12, you will eliminate it, if you have too much it wont hurt you, so I ordered some today from Bariatric Advantage because my critical thinking stamina has fallen off the cliff, for  too many weeks now, for $10 I can see if this is an issue....I am doing blood work soon too...
HW: 425    SW: 337   CW: 262 GW: 217 (surgeon)  
Pre-surgery loss; 88 lbs (mostly in my required 6 month insurance class)
(deactivated member)
on 6/4/12 5:33 am, edited 6/4/12 5:51 am
Wow.....I know this post is a few months old, but I stumbled on it while looking for thiamine deficiency,  and am so glad that I did!!!

I am also B1 deficient, AND I have a wheat/gluten allergy from hell.  Airborne and everything.  I have been very strictly gluten free since being diagnosed over 2 years ago..  So, of course, I have not eaten breads and cereals and stuff with supplemental thiamine in over 2 years.  I JUST found out I am deficient in thiamine 2 weeks ago.  I didn't make the connection between my wheat/gluten free diet and the deficiency until I read this.  And here you are, a Celiac, so you follow the same diet as me. I guess that means I am at higher risk also.   HUH....I love this forum, I learn something new every day!!!  Also, I read that coffee depletes thiamine, and I drink a ton of that stuff.

The doc never even mentioned I was deficient (not my VSG doc, my regular doc).  I noticed it myself while looking over my labs,  and bought supplements.

How are you doing now?  Has your symptoms improved?  Has your metabolism sped up?  When were you diagnosed as Celiac?

Thanks again for posting this.  I've actually been a little slack on taking the supplements I bought, I'm now going to take them religiously.

Also, my Vitamin D was very low six months ago, but I brought that up.  It's now 92!!!!  Whooo HOOOO

Edit to add:  I searched through all of my lab paperwork in the past 3 years and this is the first time a doctor has ran a thiamine test on me.  I will be sure and specifically ask for it next time.

I'm not on this board very much, I hang out on the VSG maint board mostly.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/
Most Active