Two-year surgiversary!

Mlkpas
on 3/18/12 8:37 am, edited 3/18/12 8:38 am - Pasadena, CA
Yesterday was my two-year surgiversary, and even though I'm almost never here any more I thought I would pop in and report on life on the other side.  I was a lightweight when I had the surgery, but I had struggled with my weight for more than 40 years and in all that time I had never gone more than a few weeks without hating myself or obsessing about my weight, food, and eating.

What are things like now?  Well, it's crazy because on the one hand nothing has changed at all.  I am still me, with all my same quirks and challenges and foibles.  Life is exactly the same.  And yet... on the other hand everything is completely different.  Now that I am thin, everything really IS different and better and the dream really has come true.  I live both of those conflicting realities, each 100% present, each and every day.  It's crazy but I've gotten kind of used to it.

And while we're talking about the "everything really is different and better" part, here are some of the ways my life has changed:

I go to the gym 6 days out of 7 and LOVE working out -- and my trainer is one of my best friends
I don't obsess about food any more, and I'm not ashamed or embarassed to eat in front of others
I still have good restriction and I LOVE being the girl with the tiny appetite
I love shopping for clothes now that I'm a size 2 and everything looks great on me

If you are contemplating having a VSG, my message to you is "go for it!"  My one and only regret is that this surgery wasn't available 20 years ago!

Oh, and here's a photo of me last month in New York with my handsome Marine son.  Gotta love those size 2 skinny jeans!

Photobucket

I'm 5'2" and 55 years old.  VSG 3/17/10

beckyinkc
on 3/18/12 8:41 am
VSG on 07/25/12
You look fantastic!!  Super jealous here - I've NEVER, ever bought a size 2!  I can't even imagine what that's like. haha  You look happy. :)
Brenda777
on 3/18/12 8:45 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 Congratulations!
Mlkpas
on 3/18/12 8:45 am - Pasadena, CA
Becky, I am happy!  And I never dreamed I'd be a size 2, either!  I just wanted to be out of double-digit sizes at 5'2"!

I forgot to add, by the way, that I think I must have been the very slowest loser in the history of VSG surgery.  I only had 55 pounds to lose but it took me almost a full year.  After the first month or so I averaged less than a pound a week weight loss, but I hung in there and lo and behold the weight came off.  I got as low as 114 from a high of 175, but that lasted for about 15 minutes!  I have since bounced back up and am maintaining at about 122, which is great with me.  Interestingly enough, all the clothes that fit at 115 or so still fit at 122, and I think it's because all the working out has built muscle.  My vanity would like the scale to say under 120, but I'm not stressing about it as long as I look good and fit in my clothes.

piper1234
on 3/18/12 8:55 am
 I am contemplating VSG. I have gone thru all the paces with a surgeon and am at the point to schedule surgery. My BMI is 34 and I have been unable to lose this 80 pounds on my own. I have lost and gained over and over for the last 6-7 years. Your post is so encouraging. I hope to be able to muster up the courage to proceed. Thanks for posting. Great to hear that the sleeve lifestyle has agreed with you so well. Hope I can find the courage to make this meaningful change. I have spent so many years on the sidelines.
Mlkpas
on 3/18/12 8:59 am - Pasadena, CA
Piper, my surgeon told me that those of us with less than 100 lbs to lose are the very BEST candidates for VSG because we have an excellent chance of losing all of our excess weight, and a very very low risk of complications.  I totally breezed through the surgery and I'll bet you will, too!  I look back and really wonder why I ever hesitated, even for a minute!

Shar eD
on 3/18/12 9:06 am
I am hoping to have the VSG.  Only concern is keeping the weight off, but I like the fact that you don't have to worry about malabsorption of vitamins (I have osteoporosis). 

My husband is not for this though, doesn't want me to have it, feels with modifications, I could lose the weight and I keep telling him that if I could, I would but i have been unable to lose this weight in the past 30 years.  I am convinced that this is the way to go, and everyone I speak with (incl. my sister) say that they are so happy they had the surgery, it was the beginning of a healthier lift.  My husband is overweight and I think that he considers this elective surgery and doesn't understand why I'd want to make some of the life changes (like less wine, etc.)
Mlkpas
on 3/18/12 9:10 am - Pasadena, CA
Elizabeth, my husband was pretty unkind about my weight over the years until he talked to my surgeon, who explained that some of us are just predisposed to gain weight and be overweight, and that it's not our fault.  This surgery has made me feel normal, and like I have a fighting chance at keeping my weight off, for the first time ever.  It's quieted those crazy voices in my head and has kept the chips and the candy from calling my name at all hours of the day or night.  I'm still the same person I ever was, but now I feel like I have a normal relationship with food for the first time ever.  Don't let your husband shame you into foregoing this wonderful tool!!

onemoretry
on 3/18/12 8:59 am - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
You look amazing!
HT: 5'4"      HW: 251  SW: 237  CW: 172 GW: 135 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
"You can control how much water you drink, how much protein/carbs/cals you consume, and how much you exercise. FOCUS on those and not the scale, because no matter how hard we try, we do not control the scale." ~  acbbrown

bbearsmama
on 3/18/12 9:02 am
RNY on 02/28/13
What an inspiration!!! You look fabulous!! Thank you so much for popping in!!

Pam :)

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

Most Active