Zumba Question

sublimate
on 3/18/12 7:45 am - San Jose, CA
I can't seem to find the answer to this question anywhere, so I thought I'd ask here.  Can you Zumba to any sort of music using the same moves?  For example if you have a DVD and follow the moves on the screen, but turn off the sound and play your own music?  I would think that the same music all the time would get old really quickly, but I understand the dance moves are very specific.  Thanks in advance for any responses.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

bunnymom
on 3/18/12 7:51 am
I would put all my money on being able to make the moves to any rhythm you want. After all, the Zumba instructors are always looking for new music to add to their tracks. Even African and hip hop beats are added. They recognize how quick boredom hits and my best zumba instructor has many tracks that she rotates frequently. It is a combo of music: salsa/merengue/latin hip hop/reggaeton/cha cha/flamenco/etc etc. The trick is feeling passionate about the music so you let your body go and do the moves in an exaggerated way. So shake your booty!!
Bunnymom            
hrford
on 3/18/12 7:53 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 I don't think it would work because the moves are timed to the music and the music is actually a queue for when you should switch.  So after all that I'd think the answer is no.

As for boredom.  There are SO many songs that I've never gotten bored.  There are 15 songs in an hour long routine and by the end I don't remember the one in the beginning.  Plus a bit of memory is good because otherwise you'd be lost all the time.

I recommend the XBOX 360 kinnect version it's a lot of fun.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

camsmom7
on 3/18/12 9:58 am - IN
A friend of mine goes to a Zumba class that uses rock and roll music.....

Gityup7
on 3/18/12 10:13 am - CA
I go to Zumba classes and each instructor uses different types of music. I just think it has to have a certain upbeat tempo to it. We've had pop, very ethnic drum beats to hip hop.
jengo1971
on 3/18/12 10:44 am
What hrford said.  I do Zumba 3x/week and all the "moves" go with certain songs (beats/rhythms).  The same music/routines don't get boring IMO.  It's really fun once you master all the correct moves (which can take some time).  Plus I've grown to LOVE some of the songs (one we dance to is "I'm sexy and I know it") we do and get upset when the instructor changes it up.
Hope this helps.  Also, it's great to see you posting again.

Jennifer

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
sublimate
on 3/18/12 10:50 am - San Jose, CA
Thanks for your responses guys. I have just found that I didn't much like the music that I found in zumba classes, despite it being a genre that I like. It's hard for me to get into the dancing with music that just doesn't do it for me. I was hoping I could just do the steps to the same time as the video, without having to listen to the repetitive music.

3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

sleevegirl
on 3/18/12 11:11 am - Austin, TX
I did "real" Zumba today for the first time (I did a Gold - old people's) class last month. Eh. It's okay. Honestly, use whatever music you want. The whole point is that you move around, right? Even if you aren't doing them completely right or timed right. You're moving. That's the whole point. Go for it and give it a shot. Worse case scenario... it doesn't work and you get a laugh.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

sublimate
on 3/18/12 11:24 am - San Jose, CA
Thanks.. might have to try this and let you know how it goes! Congrats on your first zumba class and for trying it!

sleevegirl
on 3/18/12 11:36 am - Austin, TX
Oh, hijack!

I just noticed you had plastics (it's tax season and I'm in my own world, sorry!).

How did it go? Did I miss an update? I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to make it with this dual flap belly. Gah. It's becoming a problem. Sigh. I'm using tight bike shorts to hold it in when I exercise. Don't get me started on the underwear issues. Sigh.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Most Active