What I do when life gets in the way......

BriarRose
on 3/20/12 3:13 am
Well, I got sick.  I am a life long asthmatic, and at 57 (on Thursday !)  when I catch a cold, it goes right to my lungs.  After a week of misery, I gave in to letting my doc put me on steroids.  Nothing new to me, but it always meant/means weight gain.  In the past, I could never get that gained weight back off....this was the first time since surgery a year ago that I've been sick. 

So now I am almost weaned off of the steroids ( it's been three weeks on them ).  I gained three pounds. (that, in itself is a victory -- only three pounds !)  Three weeks with no exercising, on antibiotics and oral prednisone, breathing treatments multiple times a day....

On Sunday, I started back really paying attention to healthy eating. Cut the honey down in my hot tea by more than half;  and walked all the way around the block without stopping....ok it was a very slow walk !

Monday, I was back at Curves.  Did a careful and much slower and gentle work out.  Ate well yesterday at work,  still a bit high on calories, and still more hungry than before steroids....and today, back at Curves this morning again....

Starting to feel stronger and more alive....and have already lost one pound of the three I put on !  I now KNOW that with my tiny tummy, and my healthier eating habits that given another couple weeks, I CAN and WILL take those pounds off, and work on those last 10 stubborn pounds. 

I wanted people to know that yes, it can still be a struggle a year out....but with your sleeve, and armed with good eating habits for LIFE; setbacks can be saved, and OVERCOME !!! 

I STILL LOVE MY SLEEVE !
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
newme2011-2012
on 3/20/12 3:22 am
Congrats on the "only 3 pounds" You did awesome with just that..
I have had a non stop cold since Feb.8th. Genrally felt like crap almost everyday. Chest, sinus etc. No chance of exercise as I have exercise induced asthma. So the weigh stayed the same unti just recently when I have felt better. But Like you the only good part was I wasn't gaing 5-10 pounds which in the past I easily could have. I always had the metality that I feel gross so I am just going to feed how yucky I feel. Not any more...
Glad you are feeling better!
I love my sleeve!!
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/12 3:28 am
I love, really love your attitude and your deeply held understanding that this is a life long journey and there is no end in sight.  We just make the very best choices and decisions we can in every situation and when/if life veers of course a bit, we bring it right back on track as soon as possible.  You are a true winner in my book. 
econtiff
on 3/20/12 3:32 am - FL
VSG on 04/24/12
I don't know if you guys already take probiotics but I am a strong believer in them. I take Accuflora and it really keeps me from getting sick. Always good to take after being on antibiotics but even better for overall health.
Eula "Evie" R.
on 3/20/12 3:43 am - Mount Nebo, WV
Hi Briar,
Really sorry to hear you been sick, but in the same time really happy that you are doing so well with being sick. You have a wonderful attitude. You hang in there you are doing wonderful. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
God Bless
Evie

Mermaid7
on 3/20/12 4:42 am
Great attitude!
I say ditto on probiotics and they really helped me after surgery.  I also started fish oil pre surgery and now take them after.  I have been pretty healthy, knock on wood, and I normally get sick often (not so much after taking fish oil).  But, I was wondering about vomiting (please God, no) and the sleeve, does anyone know?
I used to be a pro at vomiting (disgusting I know...but, that was me), back in the days I was a full blown foodaholic, with food hang overs too.  But, i was worried about how a sleeved stomach takes to it...?
and I hate, hate, hate prednisone.
Thanks for the post, I will remember your wisdom in the coming months.

bigtigger1010
on 3/20/12 4:43 am - Laurel, MD
VSG on 04/05/12
Great job!!!

HW:344  SW:329  CW:207.8  Losses: pre-op - 15/ post-op - 121.2        
M1 -  25      M2 -  18    M3 -  14.2    M4  - 11.8     M5   - 14      M6  -  9.6
M7 -  6.6     M8 -  7.0   M9 -  5.6      M10 - 7.8      M11 - 1.6+      M12- ??    

BreathingEasy
on 3/20/12 5:06 am - WA
VSG on 01/09/12

Thanks for the inspiring words. I have worried terribly about getting sick and being on steroids and what it would do. I have been a severe asthmatic since I was 15 and it's the main reason I had the VSG done. Good job getting back on track and take care!

Starting Weight: 374- Surgery Weight:338   5"4 height
BriarRose
on 3/20/12 5:13 am
Thanks all. I wasn't fishing for compliments, just wanted to post especially for newbies that this isn't just about losing weight....it's about a lifestyle change...and that when **** happens....we have to learn to deal differently !! This week, I'm eating protein like crazy....every two hours, all day to keep the steroid "hungry's" under control ! We HAVE to have a plan for keeping ourselves on track....even when the track gets muddy !!!
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
(deactivated member)
on 3/20/12 5:25 am
Take the compliments, you sure deserve them.  :)
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views