Hope for Binge/Volume eaters (long)

sublimate
on 3/24/12 9:19 am - San Jose, CA
In my time on OH I have been very open about my experiences with my binge eating disorder and extreme volume issues.  I do this in hopes of getting ideas, and sharing my struggles with others that can relate.

Despite being very successful at making healthy choices for many years prior to my VSG, I could never get a handle on my volume and binge issues.  I would sit down and eat chicken and broccoli, and eat 2 pounds of chicken and a whole head of broccoli.

Everything I ate was done in extreme volume.  I believe my problems were extreme because I grew up eating huge amounts of carbs, and my body was never nourished so my body wanted more and more, and my stomach was very stretched out and I developed a lot of bad behaviors.

Also as a teenager I was abused by my step mother, and a part of that was having food withheld to the point where I was often plagued with gnawing hunger and discomfort.   Growing up with my mother and brother who were both obese, eating was a speed racing affair with us all vying for getting as much food as possible before the others ate it all.

Despite a great deal of work, therapy, Overeaters Anonymous, books and more, I never got a handle on those behaviors.  Even after VSG, I still had binge eating behaviors where I stuffed my sleeve to the point of foamies and inhaled my food.

There has been a lot of shame on my part for this.  I've tried measuring, consciously eating slower and just never could be consistent with it or make much progress, so I kind of gave up trying.  So here is the awesome part.  

Eventually over time, the experience of discomfort I have gotten with over eating with my sleeve has slowly retrained my brain to think of binging as uncomfortable.  At first the drive to binge was much stronger than the thought of the discomfort, but as time has gone on my brain has naturally just started relearning those behaviors because of the association with discomfort.

As time has gone on I feel less inclined to binge, and do it much more infrequently.  I was afraid I'd never get a handle on things, and I still sometimes backslide, but the VSG has finally given me a tool that has made binging a lot less likely, without a lot of great effort on my part.

So if you are a volume/binge eater, there is hope.  It may take a while for your brain to relearn those behaviors, but if such a severe issue with me can be overcome, I believe that it will be a huge difference for most people with this issue.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

lanunes
on 3/24/12 9:30 am - CA
Thank you for this post. I have struggled with volume eating since I can remember. Of course since the sleeve it makes it more difficult. I have had a few bouts of vomiting because I ate too much. I have often wondered if there was a light at the end of the tunnel.
      Leslie Nunes              
Could_It_Be
on 3/24/12 9:31 am
 Thanks for sharing this!

VSG on 6/22/11
tillmadd
on 3/24/12 9:44 am - WI
 Thanks for your post! I too was a large portion eat (not binge) my sleeve has retrained my brain also. I have not vomited and I am 4 months out nor so I ever want to. My fear of overfilling my sleeve keeps me from even trying to eat larger portions. Its truly a blessing how long food last now. A small dinner can last over 2 meals. This surgery and a good therapist has been a true blessing in my life. 
HW 314    SW 297 Thanks for the season Packers! 15-2!!
**CW 234 month 1-23 month 2-14 month 3-13 month 4-11 

smrt1997
on 3/24/12 10:02 am
 Thank you very much for posting this. I, also, struggle with the volume eating. Needing to feel full at all times. I still struggle with this post vsg. you are right! The discomfort absolutely helps me control it better and I am definitely still new and learning. Thanks for yoru insight.

VSG 12-7-11                        

Marabell
on 3/24/12 11:17 am
VSG on 06/07/12
Thank you for opening yourself up to us and sharing this.....I hope you know that you help a lot of people who struggle with the same issue.

I am glad that you are overcoming some of this....good for you. May you continue to be successful

Debbie R.
on 3/24/12 11:49 am - Cedar Hill, TX
VSG on 02/27/12

Thank you very much for sharing this. I also was/am a binge eater. I have had 2 (little binges) since surgery! It was frightening & I was afraid I had hurt myself because I was so newly out of surgery. I went through so much guilt and was so angry with myself like really?? I just went through surgery, didn't wake up from surgery, stopped breathing & was in ICU & here I am binging???? WTH?? I thought I had my head on straight pre-op & I thought I would be allright. Now I know this is something I will have to face with every meal. I have to choose to measure my food so I don't overeat. I am still working on slowing down. I eat too fast & I'm trying to slow down. I really don't like that awful feeling that happens when I eat too fast!
((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))

sublimate
on 3/24/12 1:40 pm - San Jose, CA
I can totally relate. Sometimes i feel like such a pig and a freak since the vsg seems to by itself fix so many issues for so many others but not for me. i am so glad that things are improving slowly and gradually over time and that this restriction is for life. i need it!

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

ruggie
on 3/24/12 12:04 pm - Sacramento, CA
 You are brave and awesome for sharing your story.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Chalk
on 3/24/12 12:08 pm - TN
VSG on 01/09/12

Sublimate,

You are REALLY close to onederland!!! You go girl!!!

Pre-Op Weight Loss 20 lbs ~~~~~ Surgery Weight 289

Goal weight 180  ~~~~~~  6'0"

Month 1 (21 lbs) ~~~ Month 2 (10 lbs) ~~~ Month 3 (14 lbs) ~~~ Month 4 (12 lbs) ~~~ Month 5 (9 lbs) ~~~ Month 6 (11 lbs) ~~~ Month 7 (10 lbs) ~~~~ Month 8 (8 lbs) ~~~ Month 9 (9 lbs) ~~~ Month 10 (6 lbs)

Goal Reached in 10 months  

Most Active