Back surgery 1 week postop...and a layoff shocker....

KSqtpie
on 3/29/12 3:47 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Hi OH friends!! I wanted to give everyone an update to my back injury from falling down the stairs last month. Well, Monday (3/19), I underwent anterior/posterior (360) lumbar fusion of L4/L5,L5/S1 with disc removal, decompression, and a bunch of other stuff. A cage was created and rods, screws, and spacers were inserted along with a synthetic putty to create the fusion. Surgery was 6 hours long and I lost a lot of blood, but everything was textbook. Waking up was horrendous...worst pain ever...I can't even describe it. I have incisions on both sides...about 5-6 inches each with staples. Ouch!! They made me walk the evening after surgery which was just cruel...but everyday got better. The hospital was top notch and so was the staff. I actually asked the nurse if she was real or an angel (I was still on morphine). I couldn't have asked for a better experience but it was definitely very very hard.

Worst part was day 2 when I found out I am being laid off. I am a manager at TMobile and they are closing out call center on June 22nd. I had to be given valium to settle down because I was crying so hard and I was in so much pain. After working there for 8 yrs it was a shock. And now I am just trying to figure out how I am going to be able to get the follow up care I need for my back and how I am going to be able to still be sleeved in the future. Ugh. I'm sure God will provide a way.

I am home now and walking without a walker (about 2 weeks ahead of schedule). I am determined to get strong and not let this hold me back for the rest of me life. This site helped me be strong from the beginning. I walked when it hurt so bad I was crying, I did everything I was asked to do and gave my 200%, and I kept a positive attitude the whole time. I can't say I would have been able to do that if it weren't for the example of so many awesome people here on this site. Sorry for this being so long, but I want to thank everyone for being so supportive and encouraging. Recovery will be a long road, but hopefully I can be sleeved along the way. That's still my goal take care!!
AmberK
on 3/29/12 3:57 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 Thank you for the update! I am so sorry for the loss of your job. This means God will have something better for you in the future. For now, you need to just rest and heal. I will be praying for you! Keep your chin up!
 (((HUGS)))

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

KSqtpie
on 3/29/12 5:09 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Thanks for the prayers. If I have been taught anything, it has been humility, so bring on the prayers I know God will provide a way for me...he always does. I may not fully understand the trials I am going through right now, but I will go forward with faith and see where He takes me. Hope all is well with you as well. I pray you are having a fantastic weightloss journey. I hope to join you eventually.
NanfromSan
on 3/29/12 4:31 am
VSG on 12/09/14
I'm sorry for what you are going through.  Is there another center you can get transferred to?  Don't give up.  Start putting out resumes online to other companies who will appreciate your experience.  Something will come up, God willing.  The good thing is that these days you can do preliminary interviews and get job information online and via the telephone.  So at least you can do that while you're recovering at home.  Fortunately you have almost 3 months to try and find another job too (plus hopefully collect unemployment another 6 months after that).
I wish you the best!

Start weight:  252 pounds 

High weight:  268 pounds

KSqtpie
on 3/29/12 5:12 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
There are other sites to transfer to, however I just recently transferred to this center to be back close to family and friends after my divorce. KC has a lot of opportunities, so I will just have to explore them. I'm not in a panic quite yet. The severance package is decent and I have a lot in savings, so I will be okay thanks for all the well wishes.
Barbara W.
on 3/29/12 4:32 am - Upland, CA
VSG on 05/23/12
You have certainly been through an awful lot.  I know back surgeries are
very painful.  Losing your job just added to the misery.  Is there any way
you can continue your insurance under Cobra?  I know when I retired early
they put me on Cobra for 18 months.  I will say a prayer for you.  God
Bless you.

KSqtpie
on 3/29/12 5:16 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Thanks...painwise everything is going surprisingly well. The first week at the hospital was horrible, but now that I am 10 days postop I am only taking 1/4 of the prescribed pain meds. I want to get off them Asap. They make me feel so sleepy. As for insurance, mg company is paying for 2 months after the layoff...so that takes me to the end of August, then we can pay for Cobra insurance which will be about $450/mo. I hope to have a job by then though. Thanks for the support. It means a lot
trayb17
on 3/29/12 4:35 am
VSG on 01/05/12
Wow, I am sorry about the fall, surgery and pain you've been through. I am glad you are on the mend! Surely things will work out in regard to getting sleeved. Take care of yourself and wishing you a speedy recovery!
KSqtpie
on 3/29/12 5:20 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Thanks for your concern. It really has been a wacky couple of months. I thought I would be sleeved by now, but I ended up going through a massive surgery by comparison. Maybe this was to prepare me for the sleeve surgery...haha. I am reading on other spine forums and it seems I am having a miraculous recovery compared to a lot of people, so I feel very blessed. I wish you well and good luck on your journey.
(deactivated member)
on 3/29/12 4:46 am
That is a lot to deal with at one time girl.  Hope you have a smooth and speedy recovery and a successful job search.  I agree about COBRA if you can possibly afford it.  I wouldn't want to be without coverage following such a major surgery.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 48 views