How do you handle stress???

ThinVoyage
on 4/5/12 4:54 pm - CA
VSG on 09/06/11 with
Hi:

I am wondering how each of you handle stress after VSG and being after at least 6 months out?  I am having lately a lot of stress at my work (being healthcare executive), and thanks a lot to healthcare reform, many executives are quitting their jobs in Los Angeles community clinics arena.  Long story short, I am not here to preach about healthcare reform, but want to know how people handle stress.  Since I cannot find comfort in food any more (well I cannot eat a lot - thank God!), but I found another escape, and I am very shame about it.  I normally very spiritual person, but right now my spiritual tank is low (unfortunately). I am trying to go to church at least twice a week, but my mind is at work all the time.  I know that I need to find another focus than work, but it is very difficult.   

Thanks in advance to everyone.

HW - 390; SW - 308; CW - 215               
doggz109
on 4/5/12 4:59 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
I am only 3 months post op....and I am a pretty happy go lucky person.

However, if I am stressed about something.......

I go to the shooting range and blow through about 100 rounds.  My favorite is a zombie target.......357 mag makes a big hole.
ThinVoyage
on 4/5/12 5:04 pm - CA
VSG on 09/06/11 with
I am very happy person as well.  I am always saying "Happiness is a choice" but lately it is hard to practice.  Thanks for advise.  I guess I need to try to the shooting range.  I am taking my family to Santa Barbara next week to clear my head and make a decision what I want to do.  I just need to take care of my family and myself right now, I am kinda tired taking care of others.  Hate to say that......
doggz109
on 4/5/12 5:06 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
No you are right.  You can't effectively take care of others if you aren't in a good place.  Feel better!
ThinVoyage
on 4/5/12 5:09 pm - CA
VSG on 09/06/11 with
Thanks for the support! I really appreciate it. 
Kevin H.
on 4/5/12 11:45 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
That sounds like a lot of fun

RosieSweetie21
on 4/5/12 6:21 pm
I know when we are stressed out we just feel like vegetating, but force yourself to get some exercise. I like to swim. I joined a gym, and I also like to use the steamroom and sauna. I find I get stresed when I don't go to the gym for a couple of days, so I try to go at least every other day. As a water lover, I also like to take a warm shower to relax. (I also like to go shopping- but I find I am getting a little crazy with that lately- so I am trying to slow that down) The good thing with the sleeve is that  when I want to go back to old habits I physically can't at this point- Thank God!
ThinVoyage
on 4/5/12 11:43 pm - CA
VSG on 09/06/11 with
Thank you RosieSweetie21 for your reply.  I know that I need to do more physical activity.  I actually a member of the local gym.  I drive to work 2.5 hours each way, and often after stress at work, I simply do not have power to do anything.  I know excuses, excuses :-)
Ms. Poker Face
on 4/5/12 9:11 pm
I have a very high stress job.  Plus, my extended family can be high stress (not my immediate family, thank God).  I am seeing a therapist as part of this process.  We've worked on some strategies for me when it comes to stress.  It sounds silly, but I've always been bad about keeping things in perspective... bad stuff always feels crushingly suffocating to me... so now I take some deep breaths, zone out for a few seconds or minutes, and have to keep telling myself that it's not as bad as I'm imagining.  Whatever it is, regardless of how bad it is, will pass.  And that stressing and eating isn't going to make it any better or easier.  I have to remind myself that everyone makes mistakes, everyone has some type of stress, and how we chose to react to it determines our ability to recover.  I also have very negative things that run through my head... I tend to be very hard on myself.  So I'm trying to talk nicer to myself.  Get rid of those old thoughts and replace them with something nicer and gentler (and more realistic/accurate!).

Exercise also helps.  Reading helps.  

You just have to find what works best for you.  Easier said than done, I know.  Hang in there!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

ThinVoyage
on 4/5/12 11:47 pm - CA
VSG on 09/06/11 with
Thank you Ms. Poker Face for your reply.  I really appreciate it.  Sometimes it is funny that we got new bodies, but still have old brains :-)
Most Active