PPI- Nexium how long are you using this?

tillmadd
on 4/7/12 12:15 pm - WI
 Ok sleevers, I was sleeved on 11/7 and requested a PPI (nexium) from my surgeon by December. I seemed to have a lot of acid reflux, very uncomfortable. My NUT said you should not be on PPi for long. I accidentally noticed a few months ago when I ran out of nexium that my restriction was more pronounced, then back on nexium I can eat more. I have stalled some this month and want to try going off PPI to increase restriction. Has anyone else tried this? How long did your doc have you on a PPI?
Any advice? TIA
HW 314    SW 297 Thanks for the season Packers! 15-2!!
**CW 234 month 1-23 month 2-14 month 3-13 month 4-11 

Flo75
on 4/7/12 12:23 pm
VSG on 02/29/12
I am only a little over a month out, but I was wondering the same thing tonight. I forgot to take my pill this a.m. and am in a lot of pain. I will not be forgetting to take this little pill again. owwwww
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
Pooch2
on 4/7/12 12:28 pm
Didn't have Nexium but another PPI, my original script was for 30 days with instructions that if I had a problem beyond that to call the surgeon....no problems so only 30 days...
HW: 425    SW: 337   CW: 262 GW: 217 (surgeon)  
Pre-surgery loss; 88 lbs (mostly in my required 6 month insurance class)
cracsgrl
on 4/7/12 12:33 pm
 I am almost 4 months out and still take Nexium Granules. I take them everyday. I like the Granules better than the pill. The restriction is more pronounce without because of inflammation that the acid causes. I know ppl that have been on PPIs for years. I would much rather be on Nexium than deal with Esophagial Erosion. 

Elaine2
on 4/7/12 12:37 pm, edited 4/7/12 12:38 pm - Atlanta, GA
Hate to say that I've been on the Nexium dissolving powder for almost 2 years.
Recently tried a few day on an OTC brand but that didn't last.    Back on the Nexium.
But I don't see it impacting my restriction.

Edited to add----only starting taking it post op. Never had reflux pre WLS.

rhearob
on 4/7/12 2:14 pm - TN
 I was on Nexium for the first three months, then off.  I didn't really notice any difference in restriction either before or after.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Kevin H.
on 4/7/12 2:55 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 My acid is so bad I would take the Nexium over restriction anyday.  I hope it goes away eventually because I know I have to come off the Nexium sooner or later.  

USAF Wife
on 4/7/12 8:03 pm
I went on Prilosec around 6 weeks post-op due to false hunger caused by overproduction of acid.

I am still on a PPI, Nexium at this time because I'm pregnant again and Prilosec is not approved during pregnancy.

I'm almost 3 years post-op, and will remain a PPI. I've thought about weaning off, but a lot of other VSG'ers report either their hunger returns or they suffer from reflux again. I'd rather not have either or have to worry about damage to my esophagus later down the line.

As long as I supplement with Calcium Citrate as prescribed, the side effects from long term PPI usage are minimal.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

ND2BTHN
on 4/8/12 8:52 am - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 I was told I had to be on Nexium for 3 months, which is coming up soon. I ran out after 6 weeks and went 2 weeks without it, and the acid reflux was so bad that I had to get a refill. I am hoping I will transition off of it smoothly when my 3 months run out, but I have heard several people say they are on it for years, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case for me.

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
laurak712
on 4/8/12 10:48 am - New Braunfels, TX
I've been on Prevacid since day 1.  I take it every other day.  But if I try to go longer, the reflux rears it's ugly head.  I do take my calcium citrate though to offset any problems with bone health.  I wish I could get off it, but I don't think I'll ever be able to.

I am 3 years and 3 months out.

Laura

Height 5' 7

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views