3+ years out and how I got rid of regain

Pura Vida
on 4/15/12 1:08 pm - Costa Rica
 Hello OH friends,

I have been meaning to write this post for a long time now, but Elina has inspired me tonight with her "bummer" post, so here goes.

I lost all my weight and made goal in 7 months. easy peasy. Stayed at goal no problem for a another year and a half. At about the two year mark, I slowly slid back into bad habits, it took me about a year, but I ended up with a regain of 29lbs from my lowest weight.  I was the perverbial "ostrich", I knew I had gone above 150, so then I said ....well 155 is still OK, then I got to 160 and said...its ok, now my thighs and boobs have filled back out, then I got to 165 and said...its ok, i will get back on track as soon as X,Y, and Z happen. Then one day I woke up and couldn't button my Levi's. Other people started to comment that I was getting chubby. And then I saw it, a picture of me that someone posted on Facebook. And it was not flattering. I looked pregnant and old.

OK, now I am far enough out to have 20/20 vision on when the regain started. It was at precisely the moment I decided that protein shakes were too expensive and that since I had been maintaining so long, I didn't need them...BIG MISTAKE....because guess what? I am not attracted to high protein foods, I am attracted to cookies and diet cokes.

So in October 2011, I decided to clean up my eating and go back to 3 shakes a day, Nectar Chocolate truffle to be specific. I was strict about my thyroid meds, vits, and protein. In between shakes I began to eat raaw veggies. I was on a raw diet, but with the 3 shakkes. It has taken me 5 months, but I am happy to report that I am once again at goal, acutally 3lbs under.

What else did I do? I started exercising every single day. I went virtual at my job so that I could dedicated time to taking yoga and fitness classses. 

I wortoe this to inspoire anyone who may be struggling ith regain and let you know that yes it is possible to lose weight after 3 + yrs out! I wish I knew how to post photos in here, but sadly I am not that advanced. There are some on my profile if you woould like to take a look. 

theshrinkingmimi
on 4/15/12 1:16 pm
Congrats on getting it together! 
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Lee ~
on 4/15/12 1:24 pm - CA
You totally rock for getting yourself back to your goal.  What a great strategy you used.  I think the incredible part is making the time so that you could exercise. That showed a real committment to what you were doing and let everyone know that you were serious.

Your pictures are great!  You're incredibly beautiful and glamorous!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Pura Vida
on 4/15/12 1:26 pm - Costa Rica
 Thanks Lee! You are one of my heros, I have been watching your plastics journey closely and I think it is awesome that you lost down after your PS, I hope that happens to me too! I have been taking your advice and strengthening my core to prepare for the plastics. Oh..goodness, my core is sore :)

Lee ~
on 4/15/12 2:27 pm - CA
You'll be so happy that you strengthened your core.  I had everything done at once so I couldn't use my arms or my legs to get me to a sitting position.  All I had were those abs and I was so grateful for the work I'd done ahead of time.  Good luck!

ThinLizzy
on 4/15/12 1:29 pm - Benicia, CA
You are a rock star!!!

Lizanne

Starting BMI-38.5, Surgery 08/14/07

Pura Vida
on 4/15/12 1:49 pm - Costa Rica
 Thanks, feels good to have all my heros chiming in!

loverofcats
on 4/15/12 1:38 pm
Congratulations for getting yourself back on track!!!  Your photos are lovely and you are a beautiful woman. Your story is inspirational for getting back on track and I will remember your strategies. Your actions show determination and courage.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Pura Vida
on 4/15/12 1:53 pm - Costa Rica
 Gail,

Thanks for your kind words, you are a rock on these boards!

Lee ~
on 4/15/12 2:28 pm - CA
Gail is a rock in real life too.  I feel so lucky to call her my friend!!  :)

Most Active