Any post-op vegetarians out there?

moxiecowgirl
on 4/26/12 12:06 pm - Blue Springs, MO
RNY on 01/14/13
Hi--

I'm pretty new here, and I'm in the very beginning stages of my WLS experience, but here is a question I was wondering about:  I've recently been eating a more vegetarian (not vegan...more ovo/lacto vegetarian) diet, and I've found that it really helps with a host of non-weight related issues.  I know protein is a big thing post-op, and I also know it's a bit trickier for vegetarians to get in as much protein.  I was wondering if anyone had experienced vegetarian eating after VSG, and if someone could possibly share their experiences with that.

Thanks and pleased to meet you!

Starting weight: 335  Surgery day weight: 304.6  Current weight: 229.6  Goal weight: 145 

June W.
on 4/26/12 12:21 pm - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 04/12/12
I'm not a veteran by any means, I'm only a couple of weeks post-op, but I am also trying to do a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet. I will have to supplement with protein shakes, at least one a day to get enough protein, but it's doable. I can get around 40 grams of protein just from food and can use the shake to put me over 60 grams.

It's gonna be more challenging, but I'm going to do the best I can.

acbbrown
on 4/26/12 12:21 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Just in an effort to shake up my food, Ive been eating some veggie burger/meat type things, and those could be decent protein sources. I think its definitely possible to go vegetarian post op if you are committed to getting your protein in. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Sassy B
on 4/26/12 1:39 pm
I'm ovo-lacto-pescetarian (I eat eggs, dairy and fish, but no other types of meat), and I'm doing well so far. I'm 6 months post op, and have lost about 85lbs (70% excess weight). I eat fish a few times a week, but many days I eat fully vegetarian, and at 6 months out, it's totally possible to get all your protein in if you are careful to eat lots of high-protein dairy and soy products... my go-to foods are fat-free cottage cheese, ricotta, greek yogurt, and soy burgers. For fish, I eat a lot of salmon and shrimp, and they are great sources of satisfying protein (if you might consider eating some seafood/fish products... personally, I think fish is the healthiest, most environmentally friendly, and most ethically sound meat option... but that's just my opinion, I'm not preachin to anyone!)

The only issue for me is eating out... often, the only vegetarian meals on the menu are pastas or other really carb-y options, so I eat grilled fish & veggies out a lot. However, if you're careful and thoughtful, I'm sure you'll do fine!

5'9", 31 year-old female pescetarian VSGer!   ///   Surgery by Dr. Steven Clark on 14-Oct-2012.

Most Active