6 wks postop from back surgery, now time to get sleeved!

KSqtpie
on 5/4/12 1:38 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Wow...what a journey this has been!! 2 weeks before my sleeve surgery I fell down my stairs and herniated a disc and fractured several vertebrae in my lower back. Bummer, right? I'm now 6 weeks postop from an anterior/posterior spinal fusion from L4-S1 (cage, rod, screws, etc) and am doing fantastic. Yep, it's unbelievable, but I really am doing awesome. I got some exciting news today also....my back surgeon gave me the thumbs up to get sleeved at anytime.  YAY!!  

All my preop back pain is gone and I feel better than I have for years (I've always had lower back issues). So,  I figure I already have a nice 6 inch scar from my belly button down and a 4 inch scar on my lower back, so why not just add 4-5 more incisions on my upper belly for some more decoration. I'm going to have some serious body art going on! lol  :)

I'm not getting much support from my family (mainly because they are worried about my body going through another major surgery so soon), so i wanted to express my excitement here. I've had some doubts lately too, but after hearin my surgeon is supporting me I am back to being excited about a new life! It's time to get SLEEEEEEEEEVED! 
cajunlady1958
on 5/4/12 1:58 pm - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
Go for it. Your doctor wouldn't have given you the go ahead if he wasn't sure.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

Jenny C.
on 5/4/12 2:34 pm
So, so happy for you.  I've followed your story & wish you all the best.  Congrats!!!!!

felicity2u
on 5/4/12 4:00 pm - LA
I will keep you in my prayers! You will do awesome!

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

Georgie Mayhem
on 5/4/12 4:41 pm - New Zealand

I can remember one of your earlier posts when you had your wee tumble, was a bit of a bummer.

I can understand your familys concerns but when they start seeing the results and your found confidence I'm sure it will be fine, goodluck its about time

Marabell
on 5/4/12 4:57 pm
VSG on 06/07/12
so glad you are feeling so much better! YAY on getting the green light for the sleeve!!!

there is always a risk with anesthesia....but as far as having 2 surgeries so close together....you will be fine...I had 7 surgeries in less than 2 years....other than it taking a lot out of me and playing havoc on my hair....no big deal....

so glad for you...

Twinkle1011
on 5/4/12 9:45 pm - MI
Sorry for everything that you have been through.  But I wanted to tell you that I thought this was the easiest surgery I have ever endured in my life and I have had alot of surgeries.  The first day of surgery your pretty much drugged up won't feel a thing, the second day is easy too if you
take your pain medication as soon as you stop your morphine pump. But if you
decide you can do it without your pain medication then it won't be so easy so take the meds. The third day is a pretty easy day too and every day gets better. So good luck to you, we will all be
 looking for your posts!!!!!

PrettyEyes_41
on 5/4/12 10:55 pm - MS
VSG on 06/12/12
I remember when you hurt your back and how disappointed you were you couldn't get sleeved. So happy you're back on track!  We're watching your progress and I look forwrad to sitting on the loser's bench with you. Should be getting my date next week for sometime in June.

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

Debbie R.
on 5/5/12 1:31 am - Cedar Hill, TX
VSG on 02/27/12

Hey! so glad to hear of your success & your upcomming
sleeve! Good luck & keep us updated.

dec721
on 5/5/12 2:17 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Your good results from your fusion give me hope ... although I'm going in the opposite direction from you.  I got sleeved to try to avoid spinal surgery in the first place, which of course didn't work, heh heh, but made the fusion possible and easier.  I was fused S1 - L2 (four levels) two and a half years ago and at first did well.  Then I had some complications, not to be gone into here, because they were a fluke and nothing to creep you out with.  

Now I have another surgeon who thinks she can help me a LOT, and in a month or two she will fuse me way up into my thoracic spine!

So hearing about your good results is very encouraging to me ... and I'd like to encourage you about your sleeve!  It was a very easy surgery, and I haven't had the first problem since, so I pray the same for you.  Follow your surgeon's diet guidelines to a tee, sip sip sip and walk walk walk, and you will do just great!  Also make it your goal in life for at least the first month to stay hydrated.  

Get the simple carbs, bready stuff, and sugar out of your diet NOW, lose the sodas, diet or otherwise, and start drinking water like a fish as you get closer to your sleeve date.  These things will make your recovery sooooo much easier and will help you avoid the cravings.

Best wishes on your continuing journey :-)
--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views