How long off Work

dishawn
on 5/12/12 10:26 am - CA
 Can someone tell me how long they took off work after the VSG?  My doctor said he can take me off for up to 4 weeks.  How do you feel a week after surgery?  I have a date on 5/21/12...
kam0520
on 5/12/12 10:28 am - AL
I had a complication with one of my incisions, and I was back to work in 3.5 weeks, my hubby had  perfect surgery and took 2 weeks off.   Had it not been for my complication, I work a desk job, I probably could have gone back in 2.  It takes a while to regain your strength.  I would recommend at least 2 weeks beause you need to get a feel for how your new stomach needs food.  I am 3.5 months out and still "tweaking" my eating schedule.  
Good luck!
www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
Catrina T.
on 5/12/12 10:39 am
VSG on 05/01/12
I planned for 1 week. I have a desk job. Thankfully I have an amazing boss and after my surgery I went by work to pick something up and she gave me an extra week. When I went by it was the day I was released from the hosp and I was looking pretty haggard, I think she took one look at me and thought no way in hell will she be able to be back in less than a week! LOL. If your surgery goes well with no complications try for at least 2 weeks. The fatigue kinda kicks your butt. If you can afford longer, well...take it!

1 weeks is possible with no complications, it will just be pretty tiring. And that is only if you have a desk type job.
dishawn
on 5/12/12 10:46 am - CA
 Thank you for your response.  I have taken a week off because I am suppose to start a new job!! But this is my health, so if I need to, I will take off more.  I am excited and anxious at the same time.  
Caliblonde04
on 5/12/12 11:24 am
VSG on 04/17/12
 I had surgery on the 17th of April and my doctor took me off until the 28th of May. Which is great for me! 
"love life and all it may bring"

collegefootballmom79
on 5/12/12 11:34 am - Hutto, TX
VSG on 10/05/10 with
I took off 2 weeks.  I am a state employee so I had 4 weeks saved but only needed 2 weeks.

AnnMarie
on 5/12/12 11:38 am
VSG on 04/10/12
I planned on a week and took most of the second off, also but I had quite a few complications. If I did not have those issues I would have been back in a week because like you, I am new to my job and to be honest, all because I could take it off doesn't mean I DO, ya know? you will be tired, though I have commitments and responsibilities I take very seriously and while I would not jeopardize my health, inconvenience doesn't count in my book I have also asked this question and from what I have read, the accepted minimum is one week, two weeks is very standard and some need (or want) up to 6 weeks (at which point I'd be in a fetal position and sucking my thumb! lol) Best to you, please keep us posted!

AnnMarie  vsg 4/10/12 Age: 41, Height: 5'2ish
       Banded '04 PreOp BMI 64, PreOp for VSG: BMI 55, SW BMI: 50 

dishawn
on 5/12/12 12:40 pm - CA
 AnnMarie,
I do understand!!! I am happy to have a new job, but at the same time, I have waited for this surgery and do not want to rescedule.  I see that you had the band!!! I will also be a revision and was wondering how it feels from the band to the VSG.  My doctor said his only concern is if there is too much scar tissue.  If you dont mind sharing, what complications did you experience?

rebmamay
on 5/12/12 11:46 am - Tacoma, WA
VSG on 04/25/12
I had the time, so I took 3 1/2 week off. I had a hernia repair with my vsg and had a lot of initial pain.  I'm just over 2 weeks post op and feeling fine...but tire out very easily. I figure by the time I do go back, I should be good to go!

HW:440~SW:324.5

Amber  
dishawn
on 5/12/12 12:43 pm - CA
 Did anyone use bariatric advantage for their vitamins?
Most Active