How much water and a sample menu after surgery??

grn_eyz74
on 5/16/12 11:10 pm - TX
VSG on 01/31/15
I am still PRE SURGERY, but I am trying to mentally prepare myself way ahead of time. I was wondering if someone could give me a break down of what a menu will look like, in the weeks after surgery. Liquids, then soft, and so on.

Also how much water is recommened is it 64 oz or more a day?

Thanks!!!!
~Susan~ 

amyl0528
on 5/16/12 11:30 pm
I'm 2 weeks out here's my menu:

I have 3 protein shakes a day with sugar free popsicles in between (because I LOVE them) and drink a ton of water, probably around 80 ounces or so.

Body Fortress protein shake (flavor depends on mood but like them all) mixed with skim milk.  34 grams of protein per shake.(3 a day)

I'm one of the lucky ones who LOVES the shakes!!!  I also have ZERO problems with drinking water.

Sometimes I have a 1/4 cup of blended cottage cheese or 1/4 cup of V8 when I feel like I want something salty.

VSG Surgery May 1, 2012
bluemems
on 5/17/12 12:27 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/12
I had VGS surgery on April 30, 2012 and just started the "soft" diet.  First two weeks is mostly water, protein shakes, water, popsicles (sugar free of course); sugar free jello farina, cream of wheat, greek yogurt.  This week I have done some fish (haddock and salmon); tuna with a little light mayo, canned fruit in its own juices, green beans (soft cooked), oatmeal (runny).  I really wanted eggs but they say they cannot be scrambled they have to be a bit runny.  I do not know about you, but no way I can eat runny eggs so I'll just wait a while longer.  I have taking it very, very slow with adding soft foods.  I admit that I am having a lot of trouble getting the water in me, but it is getter easier each day.  

64oz water each day is what they want you to work up to.  Eventually it will be 64g of protein and 64oz water. 

I am also having a very hard time right now with my multivitamins - hopefully as I start eating more solid foods, that will get better too.

jacreasy
on 5/17/12 12:30 am
VSG on 04/23/12
60+ grams of Protein
64+ oz of liquids
try and stay under 40grams of Carbs...

Home after surgery nothing but protein shakes 3x a day and SF Pops, blended FF cream soups

2weeks later mushy stage was green beans mash pots  scrambled egg w little cheese refried beans cream soups anything that is a mushy texture.

4 weeks later is soft canned chicken, all of the above, boiled eggs ect...

The Doc office should give you a guide to go by as each Doc is different and has different rules
GOOD LUCK! 

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

rhearob
on 5/17/12 1:37 am - TN
 The most common diets consist of this

1.  Stage 1 - First 2 weeks - Clear Liquids (Nectar Protein Drinks, broth soups, etc.  You need to be able to see through it)
2.  Stage 2 - Full Liquids Starting at the end of stage 1, lasts 2 weeks.  (Full Shakes, in addition to clear liquids)
3.  Stage 3 - Purees.  Starts at the end of Stage 2, lasts for 2 weeks.  Here this is esentially anything you can put in a blender as well as eggs, egg whites, cottage cheese, etc)
4.  Stage 4 - Full foods

As far as the amount of water to drink - minimum 64 ounces - no upper.  Just be sure to sip not gulp.  Protein in most cases is minimum 60 g, again not really an upper limit.  Always eat your protein before anything else.  When you get to Stage 3, no drinking with meals (usually no drinking 30 minutes before eating to 30 minutes after)

Start the habit now of logging everything you eat.  If it goes in your mouth, it goes in your log.

Your surgeon should give you a detailed diet with sample menu's and foods.  Many Vary.  In my plan, cream based soups would never be allowed.  Mashed potatoes would not be allowed.  The Mantra is "No Empty Calories".   My calorie limit is 600-800 a day, I stay below 600 during weight loss.  

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

grn_eyz74
on 5/17/12 1:52 am - TX
VSG on 01/31/15
Thanks everyone. I found this clear water jug that holds exactly 64 oz from walmart and it has this middle part that is full of some liquid you can pull out and put in the freezer to freeze and put it back in your water to keep your water cold while you drink it. I bought this because I think if I can visualize the amount I need to drink and know I have all day to do it I may just be able to pull it off. And I sip water now so I am pretty sure gulping it will not be a problem for me afterwards.I have problems with water now so I want to get myself into the habit of drinking it with no problem way before surgery time.

also, I have seen several people mention eating canned chicken, I am wondering if you are eating it straight from the can or if you are mixing it with stuff to make sort of a chicken salad type thing, I can't imagine eating it plain? maybe with ff mayo? really super fine chopped up hard boiled eggs?

Thanks,
~Susan~ 

BariBariHappy
on 5/17/12 3:11 am, edited 5/17/12 3:11 am - MI
Your Nutritionist will give you the breakdown that's right for you but pretty much it's:
up to 65 grams of protein
up to 64 oz of water

You don't just have to have shakes...it can be many things. Having choices is what helped me.
I don't have my book with me but this is close:

First 14 Days: Liquids - Can be Protein Broth, Protein Gelatin, Protein Soup. And Popsicles. Because its so strict...you'll want choices in flavors.

14-28 Days: Pureed Foods: All the above as well as cottage cheese, oatmeal, grits, mashed potatoes, protein oatmeal.

28-42 Days: Soft Foods: All the above as well as adding in tuna, chicken salads, eggs, etc.

After that you should be getting ready for regular foods. Good Luck!
   HW: 291 • SW: 260 • CW: 196 • GW: 145            

BiscuitNYC
on 5/17/12 8:04 am - NYC, NY
DS on 01/23/13
I did not have to have a liquid only diet but for one day post op. They would not let me leave the hospital until I was able to tolerate pureed food.

The goal has always been 60-80 g protein and 64 oz water, but in those first few weeks I don't think I ever actually met those goals. I just couldn't eat or drink that much. I just did the best I could, and tried to choose protein over anything else to eat. I didn't have a problem tolerating scrambled eggs, so that was good for me. Yogurt, oatmeal with added protein, protein shakes... My favorite was lasagne without the noodles (meat sauce and ricotta).
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views