Getting there!

megs617
on 5/21/12 4:51 am
I cannot tell you all how much I appreciate your posts.  I have been reading like crazy, and know that I am making the right decision.

I had an ultrasound and x-ray today....I had to drink that aweful barium stuff.  Ugh!  So glad it's over! Tomorrow I have part I of the psych. eval.  Any tips on what to expect?  I'm kinda nervous! 

Thanks for all your encouraging posts!  You have no idea how they have settled my mind!!!!!
sutherngrl94
on 5/21/12 4:57 am - Raleigh, NC
The only advice I have for the psych eval is be honest!  This journey is 90% mental and if your brain isn't in the game (so to speak) then you will have a harder time after surgery.  I'm thrilled you are reading the posts!!  They helped me pre-surgery too and I'm so glad this site is here post-op as well.  It helps a lot.

Good luck to you!

megs617
on 5/21/12 6:59 am
Thank you!
Cortnee Z.
on 5/21/12 9:35 am - Murrieta, CA
VSG on 04/04/12
 That's awesome that you are on your way. It wasn't too long ago I was doing the same thing!! The psych eval is fine, don't worry about it. Just be yourself. They want to make sure you can handle surgery, the good and the bad that may happen. My Dr. kinda psyched me out for a few minutes because he was asking me if I would keep having surgeries and taking care of myself no matter what. I told him of course, that I know it would be hard, but I would never just give up. I guess someone he had seen previously had some complications with her surgery (not sure which type) and he said she just gave up. Now they are having to fight in court to force her to have another surgery. That scared me a little, but I think he was right on to ask this! It helped me question whether I really would or not, and it helped me to be prepared in case it didn't turn out as wonderful as it did. 

Just keep your eyes wide open and enjoy :)
Cortnee 

"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn" Harriet Beecher Stowe

Blog: 
http://mysleeveandme.blogspot.com     MFP: CortneeZ
megs617
on 5/21/12 10:35 am
Thank you, Cortnee!  How long has it been since you've had the surgery?  I'm am so frightened, but I know life will be so much better once I'm sleeved.  The only true worry I have is leaving my kids for a few days.  I have an almost 2 and a 4 year old.  The loves of my life!!!!!  I'm so afraid something will happen to me.  I guess this is a pretty common fear.
Cortnee Z.
on 5/22/12 12:03 am - Murrieta, CA
VSG on 04/04/12
I was sleeved on 4-4 so it's been about 7 weeks. Don't be frightened. I was nervous because I never had a surgery before in my life. But it was seriously the easiest thing I have ever done. Once you check in everyone at the hospital is basically there for you! They are with you the whole time and explain everything. I was completely at peace with all of it. Even when I woke up and had the dry heaves (sp?) they were right there to give me meds and help! The nurses were excellent and it went very well.

I was also VERY nervous about my son. I am a single parent and my dad and step-mom were out of town on a cruise. My mother, who has always been um not the best at being a mother, was going to come and help me. So I was panicked. But I literally made a book of everything she needed to know. Including printed directions of everywhere she needed to go. It really helped me feel better because I knew she would have answers in there. And honestly, she didn't even need it. My sister had my son over night the one night I was in the hospital and then I was out and was able to do most of the disciplining. He was awesome too, only 6, such a trooper!!

And as for the fear of not coming out of surgery? I had that too. But if you know where you are going, it's ok. And as for my son, well, there are too many people in his life that love him to pieces, so I knew he would be just fine. I think this is all rational fears, but know that you are among a very large group of people who have had this done and have been just fine!! This surgery is becoming more and more common every day! Surgeons know what they are doing now. We are not the firsts :) So that is very calming too!!

Everyone will be fine, including you! You will make it through just fine and your children will be fine too!! They will understand you are "sick" after also and you will be surprised at how well they will do!!

take care and keep coming on here to get encouraged!! I think that helps a lot!!
Cortnee 

"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn" Harriet Beecher Stowe

Blog: 
megs617
on 5/22/12 1:08 am
Again, Thank you!!!!  You have settled my mind.  Everything will be great!  I had my psych eval this morning....I'm not crazy!  That's the good news!!! 
Cortnee Z.
on 5/22/12 1:14 am - Murrieta, CA
VSG on 04/04/12
Haha! That's awesome!! I am glad you aren't crazy :) So I assume it went well?!? 

I am glad I could help :) Take care!
Cortnee 

Blog: 
Most Active