Upping Calorie Intake??

Cortnee Z.
on 5/24/12 12:11 am, edited 5/24/12 12:18 am - Murrieta, CA
VSG on 04/04/12
Hi all!! I emailed my NUT last night because I have been confused about calorie intake and since surgery she has not wanted to give me "guidelines" because she feels that keeps me in the diet mentality! So she doesn't want me to count anything!! But because I have pushed for some type of understanding she told me I should be eating at least 1200 calories a day, especially if exercising. I have been at about 500-600 a day unless exercising, then I go up to about 800-900. 

My question is how do I up my calorie intake without compromising my good nutrition?!? I don't want to change my eating habits in a negative way in order to add to my calorie intake, which is why I am asking on here. 

What do  you guys do? Any help would be appreciated  
Cortnee 

"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn" Harriet Beecher Stowe

Blog: 
http://mysleeveandme.blogspot.com     MFP: CortneeZ
tall_not_venti
on 5/24/12 12:15 am
VSG on 02/23/12
I would add another protein shake or two, especially after you workout. It helps with recovery.
Cortnee Z.
on 5/24/12 12:19 am - Murrieta, CA
VSG on 04/04/12
Really? I am having a hard time just getting water in in the afternoons. If I add shakes then I won't be able to drink it! Lol! It makes sense though, they're the only thing in my diet that has the most calories! Do you use a particular kind or change it up when doing more? I don't know if I would make the same shake I do in the am...
Cortnee 

"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn" Harriet Beecher Stowe

Blog: 
tall_not_venti
on 5/24/12 12:31 am
VSG on 02/23/12
Yes, my afternoon shake is usually one scoop of chocolate protein, one scoop of click coffee protein, blended up like a frappe or shaken in my blender bottle. I usually sneak one in before breakfast, too. Do you add flavor to your water? I still can't drink plain water well.

Start Weight: 245 Removed my monthly totals, because for me, comparision is the thief of joy.
Dare to believe that this time will be different. You can succeed this time.
Cortnee Z.
on 5/24/12 12:35 am - Murrieta, CA
VSG on 04/04/12
That's what I do in the mornings. I do 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1 scoop of click, 1 cup of almond milk, and some SF salted caramel syrup. For some reason I don't like the taste of the chocolate isopure powder, so I doctor it up. Now I love it! But I don't know if I can do that in the afternoon too?!? I know I will probably like the caffeine boost! Lol! 

I am not adding anything to my water. I am just downing it and hating it. I have been drinking it room tempurature and I noticed that helps a LOT! But I really don't want to drink it. Weird, I have never had that problem before. So it's forced. Have you tried Vitamin Water Zero? I was drinking that before but got burnt out on it.
Cortnee 

Blog: 
debk21
on 5/24/12 12:21 am - Mansfield, TX
First of all, I think you are doing fine with your intake.  I stayed at 600-800 throughout my losing phase - but that's just me - everybody has their own path.  Anyway, you don't have to eat crap to up that intake.  How many times per day are you eating?  I eat about every three hours so I eat 5 times a day.  Sometimes it's just 1.5 oz of nuts (that's a meal) or a couple of string cheese or a protein shake.  Add things that will help you get to goal that are high in protein...a leftover piece of chicken or high protein recipes that I make in bulk and then weigh out my portions and freeze or refrigerate, greek yogurt...find what you like that meets your criteria and keep it around.  Good luck on your journey and this was a good question, glad you put it out there...

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Cortnee Z.
on 5/24/12 1:00 am - Murrieta, CA
VSG on 04/04/12
Hi Deb!! Yeah she said I am eating way too low on calories. But she also said to listen to my body. With that said, I actually do everything you are saying. I buy the little 1.5 oz. packages of nuts or nuts and fruits from fresh and easy. I eat a string cheese or something also and I just bought some of the chobani fruit in the bottom yogurts. I rotate between all of those and my meats that I make for the week. I like a lot of chicken and turkey burgers. I will usually eat my chicken at lunch and my turkey burgers at dinner. I have an ok time in the mornings because I drink my protein shake inbetween breakfast and lunch. It's the afternoon where I see that I want more food. I think cause I don't eat until 6pm or later. And I eat lunch at 11:00 am. (school hours). So....that 7 hours I have to eat a couple of times or I get light headed and nauseous! But I feel like I am snacking so I feel guilty. But if the nuts and cheese and yogurt are all okay - then I am just going to plan it a little better and allow for it!!

Thank you SO much - this really helps me. It's so hard to get on here and hear everyone's personal intake and look for common ground and then talk to your NUT and hear something TOTALLY different!! She HATES that I count anything. She doesn't want me to do it. She says I eat healthy anyway and I should just trust that. I just need to watch how much I am eating. But she says if I eat something and I am hungry 30 minutes later, to eat again. Just make good choices. But I am so analytical that I need to have a plan - you know? Otherwise I feel like I will fail! This is how I get into the diet pattern :/

Sorry - I kinda wrote a lot  
Cortnee 

Blog: 
debk21
on 5/24/12 1:09 am - Mansfield, TX
I totally get what you're saying.  I'm an accountant!  I count everything!  Calories, protein, fat & carbs.  It helps me stay on track.  If that works for you - do it!  Don't let anyone tell you that you should not if it feels right to you.  I think in the long run, you'll be glad that you did track.  You'll be able to see trends and if you have any issues with foods or sodium, you'll be able find those issues more readily.  I use FatSecret and at 18 months out, still track everything that goes in my mouth.  Good luck to you on your journey, I can tell your head is in the game...you're gonna make it!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Cortnee Z.
on 5/24/12 1:28 am - Murrieta, CA
VSG on 04/04/12
Thank Deb!! That totally makes sense! I think you are right. I still need to do it for me! It helps me to see visually what I am feeling in my body and how to adjust from there!!

You are an awesome encouragement! I really appreciate your help :)
Cortnee 

Blog: 
RobynNOLA
on 5/24/12 12:23 am - New Orleans, LA
My nut also refuses to give limits/intake other than sugar and protein.
I'd say add in nuts, greek yogurt, or protein shake. All easy calories that don't crud up your body.

Most Active