Any gastric band patients revising to VSG?

renee K.
on 5/31/12 12:52 am - Augusta, GA
Im 3 1/2 years out from Realize band surgery. lost 30 lbs pre op, 70 post op, after a serious achilees injury 1 year of not being able to work out, 5 rounds of steroids and much pain and frustration i have managed to gain back 4o lbs and im very frustrated.  Long story short, im considering a revision to VSG.  ANY pre band patient insight would be much appreciated. Also looking for advice from anyone who is willing to share!

Thanks so very much!!!
Renee

melly37
on 5/31/12 1:06 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
I just revised in April.  I was having some issues with my band.  It would tighten up for no reason, and it wouldn't allow me to eat healthy protein and veggies a good amount of the time.  I am loving my sleeve!!  My sleeve lets me eat ANYTHING I want, just small portions.  Of course, that can be a dangerous thing, so I definitely have to do my part.  It's been very liberating to not look for the nearest restroom when sitting down to eat at a restaurant. 

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

renee K.
on 5/31/12 1:26 am - Augusta, GA
Thanks so much!! Thats exactly how i feel.  on a cruise i had a HORRIBLE experience--formal night of all nights!!! DURRING the captians dance ughhhhhhhhhhhh.  i almost lost it at the table in front of everyone.  i tried holding it in but, well thers only so much that can be held back, of course you could tell something was wrong,. people were asking if i was ok, and well i sure couldnt respond.  i finally ran out with my fine linen napkin in my hand, then went searching for the bathroom.  i cant eat breakfast, always too tight.  so i snack on jun****il im able to eat.  it wasnt always like this though.  im calling my insurance to see if they will cover the revision.  thanks for your reply!!!
SassyItalian
on 5/31/12 1:20 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
there are several very successful band to sleeves on here. i think the common consensus is the sleeve is a breath of fresh air after the band. im sure they will post to give you firsthand insight.

was almost given a band but demanded the sleeve. 1.5 years later..thrilled

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

USAF Wife
on 5/31/12 1:37 am
I'm just a few days shy of my 3 years post Band to VSG revision. Best thing ever, I lost fairly effortlessly by following the dietary guidelines, never have food get stuck, no issue eating a healthy, varied diet. I'm actually into my 2nd pregnancy post VSG. The sleeve is so phenomenal in comparison to the band. My quality of life vastly improved by getting that thing out of my body. Not only did I lose weight, gain health, conceive without medical assistance, I live a very normal life post-op.

If you have specific questions, please feel free to ask.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

renee K.
on 5/31/12 2:36 am - Augusta, GA
Thanks for your reply!  That was VERY encouraging!  Was you VSG surgery complicated in any way because of the band/port? How long was your recovery?
USAF Wife
on 5/31/12 2:41 am
On May 31, 2012 at 9:36 AM Pacific Time, renee K. wrote:
Thanks for your reply!  That was VERY encouraging!  Was you VSG surgery complicated in any way because of the band/port? How long was your recovery?
Yes, it was very complicated because of the damage caused to my stomach was not visible until my surgeon removed my band. My initial recovery was about 6-7 weeks then I was hospitalized again due to abscesses in my abdomen that required heavy antibiotics and drains and I did have a leak that was repaired at 2 days after my revision. I was not released for full activity until I was 3.5 months post-revision. I can honestly tell you that I would endure every single hurdle, complication and struggle to live the life I have today.

There are 100s of us who have revised, and many without any complications so don't get scared just because I have a horror revision story, my complications were a direct result of the band and the damage it caused. There are things your surgeon can do to help cut the risk of complications down.

If you are on Facebook, you can join us here at the Failed LapBand/Realize band group we have set up, it's a private group so no one on your list will see your posts/information shared, and we have some phenomenal ladies who can help you and share their experience as well.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FailedBands/

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

renee K.
on 5/31/12 11:57 am - Augusta, GA
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!  i will be joining your group ASAP!!!  also going to send it to my BFF who is also having a revision.

Thanks again!!
Renee

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views