Got approved! Now I have to wait 6 more months :0(

Micmac2
on 6/2/12 12:56 am
It's not the insurance's fault. It's ours. I didn't realize our out of pocket was way beyond what I could afford. Now, the only option with my doc (no family to borrow or banks to loan) is to make a payment plan before surgery. I cried for two days and just was going to scrap the whole idea.  Then decided I can't, I have come to far, whats another 6 months?  We are not in a great financial place right now but I told my husband we have to just consider this as another child being born.  It is my life, my future.  In the meantime I will read and absorb all that you guys have to offer me in knowledge.
Knit1
on 6/2/12 1:09 am - WA
Hang in there! I had a 6 mo wait, and as frustrating as it was for me, it went by pretty fast. This is such a huge investment in your future, that it is totally worth the sacrifice! And, what a great Christmas present to yourself and your family.
In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet. Erma Bombeck  

Surgery Date: 5/10/12       Ht: 5'2"       Age: 55
Lisa S.
on 6/2/12 2:06 am - NV
VSG on 07/09/12
I just want to encourage you. The 6 months will go by quicker than you think. It gives you time to get prepared for the lifestyle change; diet, exercise, etc. Also I advise that you check with your insurance to be sure about the amount you would owe for your out-of-pocket.
I have been waiting since September. My surgery is scheduled for August. It is coming sooner than I thought. Keep visiting this site. There is a wealth of info. Be blessed!!

Angelicashearts
on 6/2/12 3:24 am - NV
VSG on 11/14/12
You will be fine, don't give up now, I know it may seem hard. I also feel like when I complete my six months my out of pocket is gonna be crazy.
seekingslimness
on 6/2/12 6:12 am
VSG on 02/24/12
6 months is so much better than never. You are making such a great choice for the rest of your life, six months will seem like nothing. If you can, try and take this time to begin some lifesyle changes now. Walk or exercise a little. Make healthier eating choices from time to time. Find a good protein source. Start slimming down your favorite recipes and look for new ones. Stay focused and on task. 6 months will be here before you know it.
   NIKKI

Micmac2
on 6/2/12 11:07 am
Thanks for the responses.  (My first post actually)  I had to do the 6 month doctor visits prior to be being approved.  Then Bam! Approved, then reality hit.  Finanically it is still goin to be a struggle.  I have a brother with Brain Cancer who is living at home with My elderly parents. I know the next 5 years are going to be the hardest in my life and the emotional toll will be huge.  I am trying to get a grip on these things before hand but still need the sleeve as a tool for longterm.  I didn't lose very much in the last 6 months (not that I didnt try).  I am 225 right now and I would like to lose down to  200 before surgery but wonder (even though Im already approved) if that would be way too much.  I guess I would be considered a 'lightweight' around here.  Im 5'3 btw.  Just curious if they could turn someone away after all of this.. always possible I guess.  Here's crossing my fingers and another 6 month journey..
bill B.
on 6/2/12 12:49 pm - NC
VSG on 12/13/12
My doctor told me, even if I got down to goal weight before surgery, I would still qualify to do it.

VeeBee
on 6/2/12 12:23 pm - OH
VSG on 01/23/12
MicMac:  Just wanted to give you my 2 cents too about the six months....it will go by fast.  I had to wait due to insurance reasons and take Wellness classes during those six months.  I read everything I could read about the surgery and looked at millions of before and after pictures, just dreaming that someday that might be me in one of those pics!  Also, like the others said, work on finding a protein drink you like.  Practice things like eating slow (a hard one for me).  Practice eating protein first at your meals. Practice savoring your food...really tasting it while its in your mouth.  Smell it. Look at it.  Practice trying to drink as much water as you can and find differen****er flavorings you like.  Practice not drinking with your meals.   I have already raised my family but it sounds like you will be cooking for yours....as you are cooking your meals over the next 6 months, try to decide what you would do different so you can eat what you are fixing postop.    Also, stockpile things on sale over the next 6 months like tuna.  All my best to you and your brother and parents too.  PS:  I am 18 weeks out and down 60 lbs and I am one of those sleevers that eats some carbs (like oatmeal every morning).  Sooooooooooo loving this!
Micmac2
on 6/2/12 12:30 pm
Thank you ;0)

Most Active