Does everyone get the "slimies" at least once?

grn_eyz74
on 6/2/12 4:22 pm - TX
VSG on 01/31/15
I am still pre surgery......but one of the things that detered me from getting the RNY was the "dumping syndrom" associated with it, it sounded horrible.

Now on the VSG site I have read about the "slimies" which kind of sounds a little similiar to me. I think I read you get it when you eat food that does not agree with you. I am scared at this point of getting them so want to know ahead of time how to avoid them?

I also wanted to know if this is something that does not happen often or if everyone has gotten the "slimies" at least once or more after getting teh VSG?

Thanks
~Susan~ 

Shagdoll
on 6/2/12 4:28 pm
Hi
I am 9 1/2 months out but I have never gotten the slimies or the foamies. I'm not sure if I am just lucky or what. I was very careful though to introduce foods that I thought I'd might have issues with like raw veggies, salad, & nuts ... I also was nervous to try corn & rice since I heard some people had bad experiences with those foods early out.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

moonglo82
on 6/2/12 4:28 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
It varies from person to person. My husband has never had them in a year and a half. I've had them once in two months.

In my experience, it happened because I was eating way too fast and it happened to be something that I found out later did not sit well on my tummy (it was a type of cereal). Generally speaking, I don't get sick, even when I find something that my tummy doesn't like, if I take things slowly, especially when trying new foods. That way if my tummy doesn't like something, I don't have a lot of it in my system.

Your mileage may vary though.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

BethR311
on 6/2/12 4:55 pm - Fort Wayne, IN
Since postop eating can be so much a trial and error proposition, you can probably reduce your chances of having anything come up by being super compliant: introduce new foods one at a time, chew thoroughly, eat slowly.

But it may happen anyway. And if it does it's not a huge deal. I've had it happen three times and every time was my own fault, by a combo of eating too fast and ignoring the full signals.

Open yourself to possibility and possibility will present itself.
fireman441
on 6/2/12 9:13 pm - CT
VSG on 03/26/12
 happen to me at 3 weeks out, only one time .i was eating way to fast and talking at the same time ,just hit the mens room it came right up and my date never knew it ...

olderbutwiser
on 6/2/12 9:20 pm
 Never had slimies/foamies OR any vomiting and I am closing in on 6 months out.

Ms. Poker Face
on 6/2/12 9:55 pm
I have never gotten the foamies nor have I ever vomited.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Happy966
on 6/2/12 10:10 pm

No foamies, no vomitting, ever.  I weigh and measure everything.  I have overeaten, however, and it is nothing like before, very uncomfortable.  So it really wasn't an experience I want repeated.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

SassyItalian
on 6/2/12 10:29 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Did your doctor tell you that you would die early without bariatric intervention? Yea, that's a way worse feeling than slimies/foamies.

Go slow when you eat and dont pu**** I have had to upchuck disagreeable food from slimies a few times. Seriously, no big deal. You learn how to eat properly so it doesnt happen. And again, I'll take slimies over being the biggest one in the room and everyone staring any freaking day. 

Try not to focus on the negative random aspects that may or may not even affect you. Focus on being as mentally strong as you can and your goals for post op. 

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

DanaSue
on 6/2/12 10:41 pm
I have had 'foamies" a couple times.  The first time I had tuna after I went to solid food.  It tasted so good and I ate too fast and too much.  I spit up "tuna foam" for 30 minutes.  Another time I actually vomited was at my son's wedding and I ate too much, too fast.  You will learn what your sleeve will tolerate.  Just remember to measure if you can and eat slow. 
Good luck on your journey.

VGS 4-2-12

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views